MRT Hood hinge installed

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got tired of working around the darn hood prop so found this kit online at LMR. It’s from MRT; costs$100.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
First pic: both installed
Second: orientation of how the hood bracket should set. Note the short edge runs along the channel
Third: fasten base using existing u-nut on top of fender.
I did a video showing how easily it raises up but was unable to download it so pics will have to suffice!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
B6F49A22-FC63-46F1-A500-0FE42BDA1612.jpeg FWIW, I also had 2 u-nuts bust off and fall into the fender. So, if this happens to you, here’s a replacement from NAPA: Belkamp # 665-1909

PinkieT

Reaction score
Did both my cars with $70 MMD gas struts from American Muscle. They don't have the printing on the struts and look thinner but work good for what I paid.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey if they work the same and are a better price... more power to ya! Wish I had found them and saved $30. Oh Well... LOL

Werecow

Reaction score
Just curious, wonder how well those will work on a fiberglass hood? I'ma have to get one cause if I don't I'll have to make the hole in my hood bigger if I wanna run an air cleaner bigger that 4 in across!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just curious, wonder how well those will work on a fiberglass hood? I'ma have to get one cause if I don't I'll have to make the hole in my hood bigger if I wanna run an air cleaner bigger that 4 in across!!
I actually only need one on my carbon fiber hood.

PinkieT

Reaction score

Aren't all SN95 factory hoods fiberglass???

PinkieT

Reaction score
Hey if they work the same and are a better price... more power to ya! Wish I had found them and saved $30. Oh Well... LOL

Yeah, but American Muscle products are known more for price than quality in a lot of instances... Time will tell.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Very nice and kudos for the bolt part # just in case...

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't all SN95 factory hoods fiberglass???
I seriously doubt my stock Cobra hood is fiberglass. It’s too freakin heavy to be fiberglass! I also recall the instructions stating that these hood hinges will NOT work on aftermarket hoods(for anyone considering that happens to have an aftermarket hood).

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously doubt my stock Cobra hood is fiberglass. It’s too freakin heavy to be fiberglass! I also recall the instructions stating that these hood hinges will NOT work on aftermarket hoods(for anyone considering that happens to have an aftermarket hood).

The factory hoods on all sn’s are indeed fiberglass. And the reason they say not to install them on aftermarket hoods is because most aftermarket hoods aren’t as heavily built as the factory ones.

Even my cervinis hood, which is about the best on the market, is light enough that having the same type of hoodstruts warped my hood slightly cause of the pressure. I had to reduce to one side only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. Never would have guessed that, but interesting to learn. I thought fiberglass was so much lighter. And to be, my hood feels like metal all the way! Guess I’m getting weaker with age! LOL

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Honestly, I am not a fan of lift supports. I have been assaulted by my cars trunk WAY too many times. They seem to only last ten years. So 2004 and 2014, me and my car weren’t in a good relationship. I had another car, a 1988 BMW 325i, so in 1997 we got it, but I was still 14, so I don’t know how bad the hood and everything was, since I didn’t get to drive it till I was 15, and even then, it was rare. But in 1998, when I was 16 (trust me, the math works), I didn’t notice any problem except for the convertible boot cover lid, which had to be open in order to put the top up or down. I always needed assistance but did not know why until I was older. Car gets totaled, I get my mustang, and 8 years later, the BMW tried to find me. So I attempted to “restore” the 20yo car, but the hood supports were shot, so I had to prop it open with lumber. The trunk I would keep open by lodging a rather large OEM fuel filter, which was found in the car, and kept there for that purpose. ...but those damn lift supports for the convertible boot... ...I remember 16yo me having to lodge my text books to put the top down after school. These supports were the first thing I replaced. ...well, other than a new fuel pump.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. Never would have guessed that, but interesting to learn. I thought fiberglass was so much lighter. And to be, my hood feels like metal all the way! Guess I’m getting weaker with age! LOL

The hoods are very heavy. Fiberglass is light when not super thick. When they make factory parts they have to layer them pretty deep to be able to pass safety standards.

Here’s images of what was left over of my factory hood to show you for example.
3f4d00d43fcb729249c04715393bd46b.jpg

3c9c0c1ea9ab738870c25691dc1865dd.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That explains it. Interesting, thanks!

Werecow

Reaction score
Oy!!! I wasn't quoting you!! You knows I gots a foxbody!! LoL!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and technically if you look back you didn't say "SN" in the post :)

you said "your" hood but you didn't ask me so :) I just stir the pot and smile

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
and technically if you look back you didn't say "SN" in the post :)

you said "your" hood but you didn't ask me so :) I just stir the pot and smile

Wait.......who are you talking to now?? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.