MSD Ignition Coil

Skargon

Reaction score
1995 5.0 128k miles

Worth it? Not worth it?

My plans for the car include the SR Performance 70MM Throttle Body and the SR Performance CAI down the road,
I was thinking of getting the MSD Ignition coil, Just because I already have the Cap/rotor kit from MSD, and I am planning
on getting better spark plug wires as well.

Would it be worth it to grab this thing? 50 bucks isn't bad. Probably could find it cheaper if I looked, But just haven't cared too much.
Starting a build list though, And This is my first V8, I know they respond differently to mods than my old V6 did.

As in, This responds to mods, the V6 didn't.. lol

Thanks. :D

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have one. You will not notice any performance gain from it but it has held up well since installed

OP
OP
Skargon

Skargon

Reaction score
Sounds good, I dont know how old the current one is, I just want one that will last, and the red will match. Lol

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
When i upgraded to msd dizzy, i had a stock coil. It was toast. Too much power from the dizzy for the stock coil. I upgraded to msd coil and been good.

410sn95

Reaction score
1995 5.0 128k miles

Worth it? Not worth it?

My plans for the car include the SR Performance 70MM Throttle Body and the SR Performance CAI down the road,
I was thinking of getting the MSD Ignition coil, Just because I already have the Cap/rotor kit from MSD, and I am planning
on getting better spark plug wires as well.

Would it be worth it to grab this thing? 50 bucks isn't bad. Probably could find it cheaper if I looked, But just haven't cared too much.
Starting a build list though, And This is my first V8, I know they respond differently to mods than my old V6 did.

As in, This responds to mods, the V6 didn't.. lol

Thanks. :D

I am assuming your stock coil is working fine and you are looking to spend money on power upgrades. Look elsewhere, the MSD coil is not worth it.

The 70mm TB your looking at getting won't benefit you right now. Stock will suit you fine until you start flowing some cfm.

IMHO you should save your money and start looking into H/C/I package or FI. The stock top ends on these 5.0's are very limited flow wise and little bolt ons don't do much until you open it up or force it in...

If you want spend a little cash now, put it towards stuff that will make a difference with your current setup as well as work with eventual future mods. Like some exhuast or getting started on a suspension tailored for what you want the car to do, etc...

OP
OP
Skargon

Skargon

Reaction score
Well after the throttle and the CAI, I was going to save for a new upper intake, etc.

Not sure if I want to go all the way to doing heads and cam, I still gotta DD this car 50 miles a day

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Heads are the big choke point with the 5.0's. All of the other upgrades won't amount to much until those heads are gone.
You can pick up an exploder top end for cheap (heads and intake) then throw in a decent cam and you HP will increase from 215 to 300.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've got a used bbk throttle body 70mm up for sale and a edelbrock elbow for anyone looking for these pieces .... I went fox tb conversion because a 70mm or even a 75 wasn't going to be enough for the new combo , so I went accufab 90mm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.