MT- ET Street Radials

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I got a set of SVE drag wheels for Christmas and my birthday. Already have the front runners. Rears are 15x10, looking into mickey thompson et street radials, 275/50/15. Anyone use them often, or on a daily driver? Car gets driven 25 miles a week if that. How bad are they in the rain? Don't sugar coat it, if they're dangerous, please let me know. I don't drive like an idiot in wet weather, but I'd like to know anyways how they perform.

chris91

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't bother running them on the street since you have your Saleens. I'd just pop em on at the track.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Big and littles with MT's on a daily? Doesn't make sense to me when you have some nice saleens. If you want to run them run them at the track. They aren't going to do well in the rain and they aren't going to last long

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't bother running them on the street since you have your Saleens. I'd just pop em on at the track.
Thats basically the plan, maybe on a clear sunny day for a meet I'd run em. I didn't plan on them all the time.
Big and littles with MT's on a daily? Doesn't make sense to me when you have some nice saleens. If you want to run them run them at the track. They aren't going to do well in the rain and they aren't going to last long
Thanks for the input. Track duty and some nice clear, sunny days are when I plan on using the drag setup

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Thats basically the plan, maybe on a clear sunny day for a meet I'd run em. I didn't plan on them all the time.

Thanks for the input. Track duty and some nice clear, sunny days are when I plan on using the drag setup

This sounds like a much better plan. Good luck with it!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've had MT ET Street Radials for probably 4 years now. I used to take the car out a lot more when I had the time, but I rarely even drive it anymore. To be honest, I agree with the guys. I would NOT run them on a DD, or even more importantly I wouldn't run skinnies on a DD. You really have to baby turns with those skinny front tires, and I have actually even blown 2 front skinnies most likely due to incorrect tire pressures or the amount of weight on my front end for them. If you get caught in the rain, you might as well pull over because its not all that safe either. Sure, they look great, but I think your plan of just throwing them on for a sunday cruise is smart.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I know you don't put many miles on the car but They don't last nearly as long either...

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Honestly I love running on skinnies and fatties and hate running on regular sized wheels. There's nothing wrong with running skinnies on a daily. The look overweighs the handling sacrifices because let's face it, who wants to take turns fast in a stock-ish suspension Mustang anyways. Drag radials do suck in the rain. I'd never go over 60mph with them in wet conditions, because I've skated across the interstate before on my Nitto's and it's very sketch. But if you're going under 40 like you would in city situations they will be just fine. Now if you go a step farther and get DOT approved slicks, those are absolutely unsafe at anything over 10mph in the rain.

RichV

Reaction score
IMO just regular every day driving with skinnies is dicey. Stopping and turning a full size vehicle on a 6" wide tire, no thanks.

I ran a set of NT555R on my 86 many years ago, and I thought it was a good compromise. I did get 15-20K out of them, hit the strip 1-2x per month, and drove the car regularly. Not a DD car tho. Hit some major weather on the way to a World Ford Challenge and they did well on the highway.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I appreciate the input and advice everyone. I was skeptical on the setup, glad I asked about it and got some closure lol. Just meets, track days, nice weekends is all I plan on running them in. Last thing I want to do is wreck because of a wheel and tire setup, that's just pure stupidity lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online