mustang exhaust

lrall

Reaction score
I was just thinking the other night...yes it hurt haha. Has anyone just cut the mufflers off their stang? Does it sound like crap or no? When i get mine this fall( i hope) im wondering what cheap exhaust i can do, i live in NE so none of that emissions bullshit. Would i be better off just gettin a whole new exhaust or would cutting and welding in straightpipes be worth it? and id have to get dummy sensors or a tuner and turn them off i know. if that made any sense at all haha
-lr

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
haha so it sounds like ass? i was jw, i love the 8 pound 4 ounce hairless jebus. i will for sure be killing the kitty's as someone put it, SCREW emissions.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
just run SLP if you wanna get close to straight pipes lol :noes: [sounds good with slp though]

Downshift

Reaction score
Quick96Mystic said:
Cut your cats off, keep your mufflers

Ya man ditch the cats makes the car sound much much better and louder. I started my car with my mufflers unbolted and it sounded like shit. I wouldnt do it just get slp like someone said if you basically want nothing at least they will have somewhat of a refined tone to it.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
When I was putting my exhaust on I started it with "open midpipe". It didn't sound bad since those cats really quiet it down. It sounded really deep.

I'd cut the cats out and keep the stock mufflers though. Or if you want a real exhaust get SLP. :pimp2:

S

scarface

slp sounds like crap, so does unbolting your mufflers. Just cave your money and buy a real exhaust system.

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
exhaust is such a complex issue haha, i think ill start by gettin rid of the 'cats. Then maybe a mac x-pipe, i dunno, i gotta figure out what makes that slight cackle on the decel, i LOOOVE that, make it sound so mean. thats the x or h-pipe right or is it a combination of things?

94Vert

Reaction score
Just take off your cats, try that, if you want something louder just buy some weld in flowmasters

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
lrall said:
exhaust is such a complex issue haha, i think ill start by gettin rid of the 'cats. Then maybe a mac x-pipe, i dunno, i gotta figure out what makes that slight cackle on the decel, i LOOOVE that, make it sound so mean. thats the x or h-pipe right or is it a combination of things?

The cackle comes from unburned gases detonating in your exhaust. I've got the stock H and SLP LM1s and it pops like crazy when I let off the gas anywhere from 2,000-2,500 rpms.

Here's a clip where just coast by and acceleration under about 1/8 throttle.

Quick96Mystic

Reaction score
I've started one of my 4v cobras with open longtubes and roared up and down the street like that :rollinglaugh:

Red96GT said:
When I was putting my exhaust on I started it with "open midpipe". It didn't sound bad since those cats really quiet it down. It sounded really deep.

I'd cut the cats out and keep the stock mufflers though. Or if you want a real exhaust get SLP. :pimp2:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Quick96Mystic said:
I've started one of my 4v cobras with open longtubes and roared up and down the street like that :rollinglaugh:

Red96GT said:

I've always wanted to do that. :pimp2:

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
cobras sound bad ass with the mid pipe unbolted, but definetly go to the mufflers id say flowmasters. Where in NE are you, im from MA

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
when i get home from school, ill throw up a video of my exhaust setup.. its a mac offroad hpipe, and 2 chamber flowmasters..
it crackles at decel alot..

im going to be buying some shorty headers once i run into some money (id do long tubes but to expensive for me right now and i don't want to drop that stupid tranny again..)

id say get an offroad midpipe, and some flowmaster mufflers.. the ORIGINAL 40 series are their loudest muffler (2 chamber flows).

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
from Kearney, middle o' the state, good lil town. REd96Gt do you have any clips of the cackle :hammer: :hammer: i love that noise, im giddy like a school girl. What has everyone done about the sensors in the cats? just get a tuner and shut it off or get the dummy sensors, id think the tuner would be better but $$ and plus they pull codes :pimp2:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
the tune will be the best way out.. i have MIL's and they still light up every now and then..

<a href=http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/TxStanG64/Cobra/?action=view&current=P1000125.flv>Crappy Flyby #1</a>

<a href=http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/TxStanG64/Cobra/?action=view&current=P1000126.flv>Crappy Flyby #2</a>

<a href=http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/TxStanG64/Cobra/?action=view&current=P1000598.flv>Crappy sound quality because of photobucket.. oh revving</a>

<a href=http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/TxStanG64/Cobra/?action=view&current=P1000666.flv>In car vid for the heck of it</a>

98 cobra with an MAC o/r hpipe and 40 series flowmasters (2 chamber)

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
lrall said:
from Kearney, middle o' the state, good lil town. REd96Gt do you have any clips of the cackle :hammer: :hammer: i love that noise, im giddy like a school girl. What has everyone done about the sensors in the cats? just get a tuner and shut it off or get the dummy sensors, id think the tuner would be better but $$ and plus they pull codes :pimp2:

I don't have any better clips of the cackle other than the clip I posted earlier in the thread sorry.

This is what made me go with SLP.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8403b601-b493-446e-8847-a307071a94e4.htm

The exhaust clips are toward the end.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
im going to be buying some shorty headers once i run into some money (id do long tubes but to expensive for me right now and i don't want to drop that stupid tranny again..)
you dont have to drop the tranny to put in longtubes....you have to drop the k-member.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online