Mustang GT to Cobra Bumper/ Fog lights problem!

TanTop94

Reaction score
Well cats out of the bag on my surprise build update. Well Im putting on a cobra bumper and fogs but cannot get the passenger side GT fog light bracket to come off. I took my driver side on off in a few seconds as it just had 1 or 2 bolts holding it on. But the passenger side on has some sort of extra plate on it and there arent any nuts holding the plate on (I believe it might be welded on). Ill include a few pictures as I dont know why this set up looks stock but wont come off at all.

It wont just pull off, there is a nut holding the main fog light bracket down but not the extra plate on top, I dont understand why it just isnt the same as the passenger side. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on what to do to get it off.

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
are you sure there isn't one on the bottom?

Yeah the one that would not be pictured was not there at all....someone clearly took their time to not put a single nut or bolt back in there. But managed to make it wedged in there.

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
Has anyone run into this before? The extra plate looks oem so why the **** can't it come off?

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
There is a nut on the inside bolt/ stud that is holding the main light bracket on but you can't get to it cause of this piece. The ****.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
try sliding the foam out of the end of the bumper I didn't think there were any screws in there for the brackets but I might be wrong. I know you have to do that to take the bumper off but can't remember the brackets.

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
try sliding the foam out of the end of the bumper I didn't think there were any screws in there for the brackets but I might be wrong. I know you have to do that to take the bumper off but can't remember the brackets.

I attempted too but there is a large rivet that goes through both pieces of foam. Drive side was held in by bolts this one by a single but and there's two bolts or studs. Either Ford or a previous owner is trying to destroy my night lol

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
Ok well I guess not many convertibles have changed from cobra to GT bumpers...now I realize that the extra "plate" is actually the mounting point for the elusive 25lb weight us verts have. Now...I cant be the first vert to do this, so why in the world did they decide to squeeze a nut between that mounting point and the fog light bracket to hold it??

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
Well...I managed to break the one bolt nut loose through heat and PB, managed to get it about half way off before the entire bolt the nut is on started to move. So now Im either going to remove my impact foam to hold the or cut the bolt off before the nut to it can just be pressured off. Damn car.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
20 year old cars will do this to you. I usually try to add extra time because things don't come off like they did when it was new.

Go slow and don't do more damage than you have to removing it :)

Glad the 96 didn't have that weight.

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
20 year old cars will do this to you. I usually try to add extra time because things don't come off like they did when it was new.

Go slow and don't do more damage than you have to removing it :)

Glad the 96 didn't have that weight.

Thanks for the words of advice and they couldn't be more true. I opted to just putting the bumper on for now and to figure out the fog light bracket when it warms up some.

Redford

Reaction score
Hate to bump an old thread but I'm running into the same problem now and this was the only search result I could find... Did you ever find a way to remove the driver's fog off those bolts without damaging it? I don't want to totally destroy mine just to test fit the new bumper.

And Droptop, my 96 DOES have that weight. Maybe it was just the early production models that had it?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Hate to bump an old thread but I'm running into the same problem now and this was the only search result I could find... Did you ever find a way to remove the driver's fog off those bolts without damaging it? I don't want to totally destroy mine just to test fit the new bumper.

And Droptop, my 96 DOES have that weight. Maybe it was just the early production models that had it?
[MENTION=16648]TanTop94[/MENTION] [MENTION=7995]DropTopPony[/MENTION]

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score

I havent been able to remove mine yet, I believe the only way of getting mine off is to actually remove all the impact foam so I can remove the bolt through that front bumper support. Though if you are just test fitting I believe you just need to cut off a small piece on the bottom of the fog light bracket. It wont hinder the light from being mounted again but it hit on mine when I first went to put it on.

Redford

Reaction score
For the test fit, I just removed the fog light from the bracket, and the bumper fit up great. The stuck part didn't have any negative effect (thankfully). Currently those two bolts are soaking in liquid wrench, and I just reinstalled all of the stock equipment until I get another chance to remove that junk again.

Your response made it sound like you fabricated the GT bracket so the Cobra fog light would attach to it, is that what you did on that side?

OP
OP
TanTop94

TanTop94

Reaction score
For the test fit, I just removed the fog light from the bracket, and the bumper fit up great. The stuck part didn't have any negative effect (thankfully). Currently those two bolts are soaking in liquid wrench, and I just reinstalled all of the stock equipment until I get another chance to remove that junk again.

Your response made it sound like you fabricated the GT bracket so the Cobra fog light would attach to it, is that what you did on that side?

Noo I didnt fab anything up. I started to work my bracket off until the nut I was taking off had its bolt break loose and now its spinning free. Thats why I have to remove all the damn foam so I can hold the bolt still to get the nut off haha.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks your 96 has the weight. Mine is a fairly early production 96 but don't have it. Ford is famous for using up whatever is left over from previous model years. Do you have the functional side scoop vents into the rear wheel well? A few of us 96s have them too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online