Mustang lacks power

Tina

Reaction score
I have a 95 5.0...its a 5 speed and i wouldnt trust it to pass another car right now. First its very hard to start..and if i dont let it warm up for at least 15 to 20 minutes it wont move without a problem. It seems like its not getting enough gas but once it warms up it goes fine. Also it used to get up and go and now if i try to pick up speed it takes it forever. If im doing 50 and push on the gas it doesnt pick up speed. It does but very slowly. I was told it had a vacuum leak and the egr valve was stuck open. So ive replaced the egr valve, the o2 sensors, some of the vacuum lines, the fuel filter, and the coil(cause i thought that was the problem at first). Also when the engine compartment gets hot the car will die and wont run until the engine cools off. So im having a few problems and i would love some advice on how to fix them. Thank you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The slow start could be a weak fuel pump or leak in the line. Try turning the key on and counting to 5, then turn the key off and back on and wait for another 5 secs and see if it starts faster. THis allows the pump to charge the line 2 times and if there is a fuel issue it should fire faster.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If what Scott mentioned doesn’t make a difference then take the maf off and inspect it. It might be completely filthy. If so it’s not registering the air flowing over the sensor and when heat builds up under the hood it can cause it to act up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tina

Reaction score
Thank you for the idea... i am going to try them tomorrow. In the mean time i jumped the CEL and one of the codes came up PCM detected coil 3 primary circut failure. The problem is i didnt think i had more than 1 coil. The chiltons i have for my car doesnt show anything for a 5.0 in that section. It shows the 3.8 and 4.6 so do i have more than 1 coil pack? Also i did a fuel pressure test and it took 4 cycles before it reached 30 lbs. Shoudnt it register on the first try? With vacuum attached it ran right at 30psi...detatched it ran at 40psi and took a few minutes to bleed off to 5 psi. Does that sound correct?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Should have reached over 40lbs on the initial priming. Sounds like fuel is an issue right now. Might start with fuel filter but more than likely it’s a pump issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tina

Reaction score
So to answer the comment about codes....it spit out a list of them. I dont know if im reading them right though since i got codes that werent even on the code list. Im pretty sure that one of the codes was 217 because it came up more than once. If i was to try and describe the major symptoms it would be that ot runs good until i give it gas...once i try to do that it falls on its face. Also i dont know if it makes a difference but its a 5 speed and it falls on its face at about 3000 rpm no matter if im in first or fifth that the rpm everytime. ..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if its failing at around the same point I would test the throttle position sensor. With a meter it only takes a few seconds to tap the wires and see if there is a dead spot as you move the butterfly in the throttle body.

I would watch the video on how to pull codes and give it another go though as its a good starting point to guide you where you need to be looking.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
So to answer the comment about codes....it spit out a list of them. I dont know if im reading them right though since i got codes that werent even on the code list. Im pretty sure that one of the codes was 217 because it came up more than once. If i was to try and describe the major symptoms it would be that ot runs good until i give it gas...once i try to do that it falls on its face. Also i dont know if it makes a difference but its a 5 speed and it falls on its face at about 3000 rpm no matter if im in first or fifth that the rpm everytime. ..
This happened with my wifes 86.
The fuel pump was ok enough to idle, but any load or rpm and it would die. Fuel pumps dont always straight up die.
Check the psi while you rev it a little - as it revs, the manifold vacuum approaches 0 and the fuel psi should rise with it. If it drops for any reason, its either clogged the filter or the pump.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online