Mustang Weight

Mr_C

Reaction score
I am working on my drag car and decided to weight to see where it is at. While I was at it, I started weighing other stuff around as well for comparison reasons. I thought I would start a thread to keep track of my results and so other people could learn from what I am finding. I am really shooting to shed weight, so I will be weighing stuff as I remove it (bumpers, rear deck lid, wiper motor, etc).

Everything was weighed with a set of racing scales I borrowed from my dirt track buddy. The scales are expensive and accurate.

94 Cobra - 1860 lbs.

My car is a pretty stripped rolling chassis and didn't even have doors on it when I took the pics. You can see more about what is currently on it from the build thread. No motor, tranny, driveshaft, battery, fuel, wiring, etc.

The doors, complete with power windows, locks, crashbar, glass, etc. weighed in at 72lbs each.

The factory wiring that was pulled from the car weighed 30lbs (this includes fuse box, and some unneeded sensors, switches, etc).

2002 GT - 3350 lbs
1/2 tank of gas. 4.6l/Auto, Premium version (all options except sub), has spare tire still, no mods that would significantly change weight (lowered, x-pipe, MA meter, chin spoiler, tint, etc)
57% front, 43% rear

1984 SVO -3011 lbs
full tank of gas, no A/C or spare tire, 2.3T motor/5 speed w/front mount spearco intercooler, otherwise no mods that would change weight (yet)
58% front, 42% rear

Interestingly, I weighted the difference from a complete 2.3T head/cam and a complete eslinger aluminum head/cam. 72lbs for the steel, 42lbs head.

1969 Fastback - 2994 lbs
little gas, no A/C or spare. 331 stroker and c4, 8" rear. Full interior. This car surprised me, it's a lot lighter than I thought.
58% front, 42% rear

51971 Convertible - 3623 lbs
3/4 tank of gas, no spare (non A/C car). 351C w/ 3 speed.
60% front, 40% rear

And a few other interesting non-mustang car weights just to compare.

73 bronco - 4006 lbs
35" tires, 315w/c4 dana 44/9"

69 Vette - 3347
empty tank. 350/auto, nearly perfect 50:50 balance but otherwise surprisingly heavy (compared to the mustangs, especially the fastback of the same year)

68 Charger RT- 3744
empty tank, 440 magnum, auto.
58% front, 42% rear

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Interesting. These sn95 body style are like pigs compared to the fox bodies.

Says whom ... They are actually very close in weight . Like 200 lbs the average sn95 weighs 3200lbs and a fox coupe isn't much lighter unless it's a stripped roll down window one ... Yea all cars can be 2800 2700lbs or whatever like mine but in stock trim they aren't all that much lighter

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Says whom ... They are actually very close in weight . Like 200 lbs the average sn95 weighs 3200lbs and a fox coupe isn't much lighter unless it's a stripped roll down window one ... Yea all cars can be 2800 2700lbs or whatever like mine but in stock trim they aren't all that much lighter

Really? Only 200lbs? I thought more along the lines of 400lbs

Tekton1377

Reaction score
IIRC 86 and up foxes aren't too much lighter but the 85 and earlier models were very light comparatively.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh the things I'd do for a clean 4 eye coupe ...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The things I would do for a clean SVO t-top car. A friend of mine has 3 SVO's and 1 is a jalapeno red t-top.
I've gotten to be quite a fan of those little turbo 4's. but the exhaust note kills me.

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Reaction score
Honestly, I was disappointed at how heavy my SVO was. As an early 80's fox body, that has a 4 cyl, T5, 7.5" rear, and some minor weight removal done (no AC, alum driveshaft, dogbone on rear removed, single 3" exhaust, no spare, etc), it wasn't very much lighter than my wife's stock weight 2002 GT which is a V8, auto, A/C, leather, spare tire, etc.

I thought the fox cars were supposed to be a lot lighter, I guess they aren't.

I also was hoping my Cobra would come in a bit lighter than it did, considering just how stripped it is. I have a few more things that I can do to shave some weight off it (remove door crash bars, manual windows?, no wipers, fiberglass trunk lid, lighter seat mounts, remove/lighten bumpers) but I still have a quite a few parts to bolt back on. I really want the car under 3000 with me in it (actually, I wanted to be way under, but that seems unlikely now). I will continue weighing parts as I go through the car and will update the thread as I learn more.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
My 94 cobra came in at 3370. Cloth seats, half a tank sans driver.

RichV

Reaction score
My premium 05 GT is 3700lbs with me in it. That's heavy.

The SVO has about 50lbs on a same year GT with similar options. That iron block/head/turbo/exhaust is not light. It also has bigger brakes and wheels weigh a lot. I had mine on the scales and it was around 3300 IIRC with me in it.

RichV

Reaction score
The things I would do for a clean SVO t-top car. A friend of mine has 3 SVO's and 1 is a jalapeno red t-top.
I've gotten to be quite a fan of those little turbo 4's. but the exhaust note kills me.

If you find one buy it! Because it's a unicorn.

Not from the factory anyway, some aftermarket companies made t-top SVOs and I think Ford made a couple for some execs and special events. Tops were more floppy on the chassis.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you find one buy it! Because it's a unicorn.

Not from the factory anyway, some aftermarket companies made t-top SVOs and I think Ford made a couple for some execs and special events. Tops were more floppy on the chassis.

that's what he was saying too. It's kind of a grey area. Definitely a sharp car.
He also has a car that ran the Silver State race (with a different owner) that came in 2nd in the 140mph class and was in a magazine about it.

RichV

Reaction score
that's what he was saying too. It's kind of a grey area. Definitely a sharp car.
He also has a car that ran the Silver State race (with a different owner) that came in 2nd in the 140mph class and was in a magazine about it.

Very cool. His name is not Stu is it?

Rallim

Reaction score
I really wished I had weighed my car before the cage, curious how much it added and how low I actually got it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online