My 01 Cobra found another way to bite me.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I've never even heard of this happening but it is a 21 year old car: The radiator became suddenly and inexplicably clogged so badly that it ceased flowing at all. I caught it before things got properly overheated. So, take it to the shop and they go looking for a new one. There's an OEM unit locally but I don't want an OEM unit. I drive in the desert a lot and at high speeds and high engine loads so I figured, upgrade. Couldn't find one that we could get before the weekend. Finally found a Fluidyne that costs 2.5x as much as the OEM that could be here by Tuesday and it's a nice upgrade. While they were at it, I had them look at the window switches and motors which are all kinds of half-functional or non-functional. Switches are thrashed, motors are thrashed.

I assume CJ Pony Parts is a good place for window switches and window motors. Any better ideas?

At least I can do the power window stuff in the parking lot at work and nobody will pitch a fit. Can't do anything, not even lift a hood, at my apartment or they throw a violation at me as soon as I go inside they'll have it towed out of spite. Yes. I know. Three more years and I move overseas, the rent is cheap, I never see or talk to my roomates and it's close to work.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Rock auto sells window motors and regulators, I'm not sure about switches. EBAY may be an option too for those.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the problem with the wiring could have little to nothing to do with the switches or motors. The system that it uses is a master/slave switch system which means that the connections between the switches gets interrupted/shorted/dead then you start to get some strange issues like it will work one direction from one switch, neither from the other and then sometimes they will work fine. Before you start throwing parts at it you should check the wire harnesses in the kick panels and make sure they are solid with no broken clips/ect.

OP
OP
R

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
thanks ttocs, that's exactly the symptom that I'm seeing. Driver side rolls down just fine but doesn't go back up. Passenger side doesn't respond to that the passenger side switch almost at all but the driver side switch operates the passenger side window just fine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that sucks as it is going to mean you will probably have to trace the wiring and check all the connections. As I said the kick panels are the places to start, I know the lock wires are pink(pink yellow and pink/green) and it might be wrapped up with them but I do not know the window wire colors.

OP
OP
R

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Replacing the switches netted full function from the driver side controls to both windows. Passenger side doesn't work but that's ok. Passengers can suck it. ;)

Got the radiator replaced. Big fat Fluidyne unit took all kinds of work to get in but it's there now. Had to mess with condenser placement, bracket rejiggering, ABS lines, everything up front had to move a bit. Drove the cost through the roof but now it's done and I could probably drive across the sun and not overheat. The labor cost pushed my timeline for redoing the suspension out a month which bums me out but that's life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online