My 01 Cobra...Shes home now

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Wild Horses, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Wild Horses

Wild Horses Active Member

Picked it up last night, and i couldn't be more excited and anxious to get this thing back out on the streets.

has 65,959 on the dash, untouched, unmolested and female owned so shes been taken care of. The bad part is that the previous owner had taken it to a shop for what was thought to be a rod knock. They told her it was a bent rod and it had a BROKEN ROCKER??? LOL. They also quoted her 8 grand to send the teksid out to jasper for rebuild...which is rediculous anyway that they wouldn't stay local w the machine shop...
    The shop constantly tried buying it and charging increasing amounts of storage fees. THEY WANTED THE CAR. I am a technician myself and i have unfortunately seen this happen with rare/expensive cars a lot at bad shops. They up the estimate wayyy high, then charge a ton of storage... and finally offer to just take it off their hands. Well, they didn't know this was her baby, so she paid the storage and the tow bills to the shop and back to her home. I found it on craigslist for 5 grand stating it had a bent or thrown rod. I offered them a perfectly fine running and driving 02 GT that i have owned since november or so... It took her a couple weeks of tire kickers and people thinking she was dumb trying to trade her tail lights and she got tired of it and finally came around and accepted my offer. Went to check it out to find it ran and drove perfectly fine... couldn't believe it.

I think the shop was trying to get over on her and grab a cheap cobra that needed timing chain work. I will be pulling it apart to confirm OR NOT wether its timing.

Either way i got a hell of a steal, and this car is sooo super clean. I AM IN LOVE.

Even makes my garage ook meaner...lol
    BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]

On the way out to get it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On her way home....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NEW HOME for now.... Filthy and still looks good..lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CLEEEANNN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what im going for... This is in my near future. I know its prob not Laser Red, but they were close.
    [​IMG]
    Chrome/Black edge FRs or Hyper Silver 18x10 XXRs

Oh, and if it is a rod knock i hope i can have a talk with one of these guys..LMAO
    [​IMG]

2. SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic Member

Nice dude! That is a hell of a deal.... and that shop is way shady. Sucks that they tried to take advantage of a girl with a sweet ride.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

3. Wild Horses

Yea, it was a shady city type of shop... I live out in the middle of nowhere where shops are family owned and this type of thing isnt a common occurrence.. But it does happen. Im glad she was too in love with the car to be fooled by those assholes. She started crying when i put it up on the trailer and signing the title... Felt bad. But she called me today and told me how happy she is to be driving a nice mustang again and told me how much she loved it... I was like, ok i need my tags back now...lol

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Super cool story! Congratulations. ...now ill go and put my hands down in the garbage disposal. (Im jealous)

5. Vegasfilter

Vegasfilter Member

man that is going to be a great build. Looking forward to this one!

6. 1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt Well-Known Member

Score! Story sucks on the women's behalf but you got one hell of a deal if everything checks out!

7. Witzy0070

Witzy0070 Active Member

I laughed.

8. Wild Horses

Hahaha what I meant by that was no guys dirty ass all over the suede seats. Some women love the trash their carslike they live in them. She honestly did a very good job taking care of it I was very surprised

9. dirtyred11

dirtyred11 Active Member

Good score man, I can't wait till the day I move up to a cobra :thumbsup:

10. Wild Horses

*****UPDATE*****

Confirmed original Teksid block car!!!!!

pulling the k member as we speak! Oil pan will be down in about 45 mins.

11. 98snakehorse

98snakehorse Well-Known Member

What a steal!

12. Wild Horses

Here YOU go then....

CAR IS FIXED!!!

Turned out to be NO. 5 Cyls rod bearing spun around on top of itself. Crank looked PERFECT, and the rod surfaces looked PERFECT. Not a single metal particulate seen ANYWHERE in the pan or motor... GOTTA LOVE THESE TEKSIDS. Lowering it today and waiting on some brake parts, and then ill be burnong up the streets SVT style!!! I MADE OUT LIKE A F*****ng BANDIT!!!!!!!

Off to work...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IRS action...
    [​IMG]
    Cradled UP
    [​IMG]
    K Member OUTTT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oil pan out and new rod bearings in...
    [​IMG]

She fired right up with NO NOISE.... Purrs like a 66k mile 4v should!!! SOOOO HAPPY I DID THIS TRADE. Some people said not to... Some said the motor sounded too bad. Guess what... EF THEM... I FIXED IT!!!!!! Now i got a super clean snake...

Moral of the story? TAKE A GAMBlE IF YOU FIND A DEAL LIKE THIS.....

13. Doodler

Doodler New Member

Looks like the gamble paid off! Going to through a tubular k-member since it's out anyway?

14. Vegasfilter

Vegasfilter Member

dude that is awesome....congrats

15. 1996GTKB

1996GTKB Member

Wow you sure did make out like a bandit, may have to call the local authorities...

16. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

[MENTION=19251]Wild Horses[/MENTION] Where did the terminator wheels go?

17. Wild Horses

They were 18" Repros with bald tires all the way around. Part of the deal was i got to keep my wheels with the my brand new pirellis on them. I like em alot better and ill be buying some XXRs soon anyway.
    The chrome termis look great on my old car though. IDK why i never got a set of these...

[​IMG]

She was happy, im happy... it all worked out..

18. Wild Horses

Some new pics from the other day...
    Whoever painted this thing did a HELL OF A JOB with that triple stage laser red... Looks like it should in the sun. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS COLOR!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 98snakehorse

98snakehorse Well-Known Member

Glad to hear its fixed have fun with it.

20. Wild Horses

WELL... BAD and GOOD NEWS...

Pulling the motor this weekend.... Started today actually.. Guess I shoulda held off with the excitement till the new bearings broke in. I guess since it had a knock for a while it egg shaped the rod caps... It started knocking again on my way home. Guess you gotta learn from mistakes. IT IS ALL GOOD THOUGH. I've got a full WAP short block I can throw right in her to get me by while I build a bullet-proof teksid bottom for the termi blower... I'm actually kind of happy to have a reason to get that teksid out on a stand rather than have an un-forged-crank Windsor just sitting there!! The Tek will be a good winter project while the Windsor keeps me happy and driving.