My 1998 Black Cobra

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums. Matt told me about it from the streetfire forums. Ive been lookin at all of your rides and I like them. I just got my 1998 Black Cobra, its all stock w/ 87k miles on it. Right now it looks like its ready for a little off roading but that will all change soon enough, after I pay the monthly bill to my dad for it :-\. Ive owned the car for roughly 2.5 weeks and I love driving it. This is the first car that ive ever drivin/owned with a manual but ive gotten it down pretty good imo. Ive missed the 2nd to 3rd gear shift a few times when im gettin on it but im gettin better at it. She's realllllly fun to drive, idk which is more fun, washing it or driving it.. i love messing with it though.

I dont plan on doing any serious mods for a while, right now i just want some basic things. Wheels, exhaust, lowering, 281 spoiler maybe, cobra R hood, basic bolt on engine parts, suspension upgrades. I have a couple questions for you guys though regarding some parts that I want, mostly your opinions..
- For the wheels, i love the Ford Racing 1995 cobra R's (chrome) but I want them in 18's. Can i get them made in 18's or do I need to buy a different brand? If i need to buy a different brand, can anyone give me a good brand/dealer/website?
- The exhaust - Im planning on an xpipe w/ flowmasters 40 series mufflers. I was wondering what you guys think, xpipe or hpipe, cats or no cats (i can get by emissions so the cats arent a problem). i hear that xpipes will give you better performance and also a throatier sound whereas the hpipes give you the more "popping" sound and not as great performance.. now, i dont want to purchase a 500 $ xpipe. because im a 17y/o paying a 260 dollar payment everymonth, so it needs to be cheap... i found a bassani xhaust xpipe w/o cats, stainless steel, for 250 on 50resto.com. Also, I want 40 series flowmaster mufflers. which should I get, the original 40 series mufflers, the delta force mufflers, or the super 40's? i want my exhaust loud, I just dont know which of these will sound the best..

I know these questions my be a little in depth but im about to purchase these items and I need to know which i should purchase.. Thanks guys for all the help. looks to be a great forum, i will be on here everyday so i look forward to reading what you all have to say. Now, heres the link to my 1998 Cobra . Hope you guys like it.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Bassani catted or catless X with either a Mac catback w/ 3.5" tips or flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. Also get a steeda tri-ax shifter, it will make a world of difference, some springs-eibachs, frpps, steedas or saleens depending on how low you wanna go and a cai - c&l, desencharger, K&N fipk, jlt.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply 94gt. I think ill stick with the flowmasters.. is the steeda triax better than the pro50's? i was debating those two but I havent dont the research yet. I will be purchasing the eibach pro-kit springs.. will the stance look good with some 18 cobra r wheels? or would the sportline springs look better (in your opinion.. im thinking pro kit because we have speed bumps all over the place where I live).. after the exhaust, lowering, and the wheels/body mods, ill start on the engine and the cold air.. thanks for your help man, much appreciated.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet man glad to see you over here, stick around and post with us you will learn quite a bit. Im sure you wont stop moddin the stang once you start...watch out :)

Just get 18" cobra R replicas from www.mustangtuning.com or www.volpaz.com both great places and great prices, quality is the same as the actual ford wheels.

On a 98 since its 4.6 I deff say X pipe they sound awesome on them, I like them with flowmasters...delta flow are a bit quieter but not by much, they dont have the 2,000rpm drone, american thunder/oringal are the same (i have them they sound great) I dont know what the super 40s are...have a link? or mangaflows allways sound great with the X pipes.

Steeda tri-ax is what I have had in my last 2 stangs I love it. Pro 5.0 is just as good so get which ever u can get a better deal on. The new(ish) MGW shifter is supposed to be great as well. (Note stangsuspension.com sponsors our site and gives members a discount and they sell the steeda see the advertisers section for more info)

A great bang for the buck for power is diffrent gears in your rear end, make a big diffrence for the price (dont add hp but make your car a lot faster)

Car looks good BTW. You should get some springs in there! I have some im going to sell in a bit, they are eibach Pros with the dead coil chopped on them (doesnt effect them really) they will lower it about 1.5" rear 1.7" front. (you can see im my pics how low the rear is, the front will be slightly higer then in my pics since i have coil-overs in the front, it will match how low the rears are but just slightly lower)

Z28 This

Reaction score
welcome to the forums...i feel ya on car payments..im making mine every month back to my dad and im your age so yeah but looks sweet..far as shifters id go pro or tri ax..i have a hurst now and its good oh yeah a awsome shifter is a ripper shifter...but good luck on modding the stang! keep us posted and i love the blk/blk :)

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey Matt, thanks for all the info man. I will definitly check out that website for the suspension and for the wheels, ill just order the Ford Racing centercaps for them and theyll look like the frpp's.. and when you are ready to sell those springs, let me know ill talk to my dad about it if i havent already bought mine.. Since the members get a discount at stangsuspension, ill look into the steeda also.) I was planning on doing the gears also, just after I got the car looking how I wanted it to. (Reason im in no rush to make my car faster is because im 17 going from a dodge ram 1500 to a cobra, 305hp suits me just fine atm but once i get bored, the mods will start rolling in..) =D

For the exhaust, I originally wanted the american thunder system but it was a little out of my price range at the moment so i was thinking about the original 2 chamber 40 series. The super 40's i just saw on flowmasters website.. it gives you the breakdown of the interior resonance and the outside resonance and the original 40's are on top of the list ( www.flowmastermufflers.com/ )so thats what im going to go with.. i love that 2000-2500 rpm sound that the mufflers produce, the stock mufflers do it around the same rpm range so i like to cruise around the neighborhood in 2nd ;D ne ways thanks for the help both of you! tomorrow ill be going up to my local performance parts store who mainly sells mustang parts and ill talk to them about some of the stuff i want and get there prices. thanks again.

edit - cool to see that some of the guys on here are my age.. theres a 01 cobra at my school and a few 05-06 gt's.. so im not alone here. nice to know someones in to mustangs at my age as much as i am..

SMOKE

Reaction score
Good step up to the cobra ... and congrats on that purchase.
I like the flows too. Good to see the younger generation feeling the passion for Mustangs as well.

Welcome.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice car, BIG PICS. Don't forget to call SVT and get yourself a new certificate of authenticity. I just received mine in the mail for my 97 Cobra. This is the phone# 1-800-367-3788. It gives you all the important info. Like build# how many were built in 98 and where it was sold. It costs $30.00 if you join the SVTOA, otherwise it is $40.00. It is free to join SVTOA.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry guys about the pics, i just left a link because I didnt have the time to resize them, ill go ahead and resize them repost, my buddy wants me to come over and watch the Mavericks play and show his dad my car, so i might not have them done until later tonight. Thanks for giving me that number, I will definitly join SVTOA and get my certificate ordered. Thanks again everyone.

EDIT - Heres my car with the resized images - Ive been photoshopping it so I can see what it might look like when i get the exterior how I would like it, ill post that one when im finished with it, still need to add some wheels and hood. Thanks again everyone. I love this forum already. Sorry for the inconvenience on the pictures.

MyCobra002.jpg

MyCobra004.jpg

MyCobra007.jpg

MyCobra009.jpg

MyCobra008.jpg

MyCobra010.jpg

MyCobra011.jpg

MyCobra015.jpg

MyCobra016.jpg

MyCobra018.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics