My 2000 GT teardown results...

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Re-assembly of everything under the hood is next, lol. After that, I'm replacing all the suspension bushings on the front of the car, and I'm swapping out the Eibach Supersports for a set of Voghtland GT Convertible springs (the Eibachs aren't made for the 'vert, so it sits lower in the back than it should, and the car feels 'springy/bouncy' since I put them on. Hopefully the new springs will help with that. Also doing rear upper and lowers with tubular aftermarket. I'm pretty confident that it'll handle much better than it did when I parked it (what I've done before I parked it improved the driveability considerably, when I got it, the tires on it were all mis-matched, not just brand, but by size as well, 3 different sizes on it, among other things).

This being my first semi-solo timing job, I'm just hopeful that everything works when I'm done, lol.

After getting most of the trash out of the old pickup, I'm amazed at what it did pull up, it just kept coming out of there..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ask questions, take pics, take your time. Your success is our goal. We here if you have questions

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Got my prothane front bushings in today, so figured I'd work on the swaybar and steering rack. Noticed that the drivers side body mount was very difficult to remove one of the bolts. I know it'd been hit in the front before I bought it and repaired, but apparently the sway bar mount was tweaked a bit.. The bushing on that side was split in 3 pieces, just being held together by the brace. Going to try to bend the brace back to how it should be tomorrow, if I can get that tweaked back, I'll put the bar back on. All the bushings I've pulled so far on the front end looked original, and were pretty well shot. Can anybody give me any idea how much better the front end will feel with all the bushings replaced with prothanes?

Didn't get to the steering rack though, hopefully tomorrow evening (I'm putting the offset ones on, hopefully it'll improve things a bit). Also trying to get my son in law over here Wed to help me swap the lca's and springs swapped out.

I got rear uppers with the set, just not sure if I want to put them on or not (it's a Granatelli kit, I know it's not the highest quality, but I got it cheap, and it has to be a step up from the 15 year old factory setup, lol). I don't plan on doing any drag racing or anything like that, just trying to stiffen up the rear a bit.

Tweaked sway bar body mount:
FXxeXXWl.jpg

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Got a lot done since last update. Got the rear LCA's changed (that was more of a ***** than I thought, could NOT get the drivers side to align with the bolt holes). Also got the springs changed from the Sportlines to the Vogtland's. All timing components are on and correct (at least I HOPE so, lol), and valve covers are back on. Starting to look more like an engine in the bay instead of mess, lol.. Hopefully I'll get my new bumper in (decided on a 99/01 Cobra bumper), and get the rest of the accessories & everything connected to the motor and get this pig out of the basement, lol.

clbp19Yl.jpg

Prophet636

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen to mine. (broken guides) It started making a noise on my way home from the Charlotte Auto Fair in April. Parked it, just got around to getting it fixed. Afterwards, drove it about 20 minutes, the heater hose fitting broke off the intake. I immediately shut it down. It was too late. Guess it got too hot and scorched one of the rod bearings. FML. But, now I get to build a new bottom end. Your motor looks nice!

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen to mine. (broken guides) It started making a noise on my way home from the Charlotte Auto Fair in April. Parked it, just got around to getting it fixed. Afterwards, drove it about 20 minutes, the heater hose fitting broke off the intake. I immediately shut it down. It was too late. Guess it got too hot and scorched one of the rod bearings. FML. But, now I get to build a new bottom end. Your motor looks nice!

Just noticed you're fairly close to me, Statesville is only about 25 minutes tops from where I live. Your car is the same color as mine as well, except mine's a 2000 Vert.

I'm debating going ahead and replacing all the heater hoses on mine, they look fairly new (I think they were replaced before I got it, as it was wrecked). Just wish I had a small parts washer that I could have dropped all the bolts in, clean them up a bit more. Still need to paint the tensioner and harmonic balancer as well, hopefully get that done tomorrow and continue the reassembly..

Prophet636

Reaction score
Yeah, I know Conover fairly well. I actually bought this car from a guy that lived near bunker hill high school. You ever go to cars and coffee in charlotte? Good luck with getting her back straight.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Yeah, I know Conover fairly well. I actually bought this car from a guy that lived near bunker hill high school. You ever go to cars and coffee in charlotte? Good luck with getting her back straight.

My brother goes down there (he's a Jaguar fanatic, he'll be the one driving the XK with the Union Jack pattern on it, lol). I've never been though. Until I get mine on the road again, not going to any of the local meets around here (there are a couple, Catawba Valley Muscle, NC United Stangs, and a fair number of Mustang Addicts members).

Didn't get much else done this weekend aside from putting on some of the pulleys, and found out my ribbed idler pulley's bearings are going out (feels like sand down in the bearing when you spin it), so I have to replace that now.

Put the crank pulley on as well, just not in this picture:

TuKmCrAl.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Man, if you got the crank pulley on already you are only about 15 minutes away from firing this thing up.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Have to get all the wiring put back, the power steering pump remounted, new ribbed idler pulley, and some inside wiring redone before that sadly. It'll look more like it should under the hood though.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
yeIee21l.jpg

Also got notification that my 99/01 Cobra bumper shipped yesterday, should hopefully have it first of next week..

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Picking up a CDC Shaker system for my car this weekend, complete with a hood that's already been modified (2 actually, the 2nd hood has the shaker hole and bolt holes in it already, and the underside trimmed to clear a 5.4l swap). Car is sure going to look different when I'm done, lol.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lookin good!

Now....why mention clearances for a 5.4l swap? Whatcha game planning?

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
May do a 5.4 down the road, if I do, don't have to change the shaker system much, and already have the hood, lol.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Got it cranked tonight, but it ran rough, and threw some codes: p0354, p0355, p0356, p0358

Either it jumped time before I parked it and damaged something, or I got some wiring issues. Tried changing a couple of the cops, but still same codes. Going to do a compression test tomorrow and check all the grounds.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Same bank? Probably tensioner issue or skipped timing. Codes say short circuit though

Compression tells all

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Got one from the passenger side bank, and 3 on the drivers side. Going to check compression this evening soon as my brother gets here with his gauge set. If compression is good, I'm hoping it is wiring. I moved those cable bundles for the cops and injectors around quite a bit while working, so could have broken something internal on them. If it was timing, I could see it doing one side or another, but not some from both (guess it's possible though). Shows 4, 5, 6 & 8 coils not firing. I tried replacing one or 2 of those coils, with no change. So it's either internal damage or wiring, hoping for the latter..

I'll post the results of the compression test later though. Hopefully his 20+ year old gauge set still works, lol.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
My numbers:

1 150
2 150
3 100
4 150
5 150
6 155
7 150
8 165

Got something going on with #3, going to do a leakdown test in the next couple days, soon as my buddy can come over with the tools we need. Still don't explain the problems with cops not firing on 4, 5, 6 & 8 though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online