My 2V, its issues and how I fixed them

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
EDIT 2-23-15

I'm going to just list my problems I have, inquireI how to address them and post the results here as I go.

When I bought my '98 last August it was already low on coolant so I filled the reservoir with coolant and proceeded to rack up mileage. About three weeks later, the low coolant light (LCL) would intermittently come on. I started to notice the smell of burning coolant and, on occasion, notice a puff of white smoke but only on cold starts. There isn't any evidence of coolant in the oil and that let me procrastinate this far without finding a remedy.

So.... After a thorough inspection of my car, I've determined there aren't ANY traces of coolant leaking from the intake. Appears that someone had the intake replaced at some point due to the aluminum crossover. However, there is coolant loss and I recently noticed some bright green coolant on the sway bar. Water pump would be the logical choice since they have a weep hole and/or it's possibly only leaking at higher rpms.

I have a PI intake I can swap on ( [MENTION=7995]DropTopPony[/MENTION] yes, I know I should've done this by now) but do you guys think it could be something serious? The hot, gulf coast summertime is approaching and I drive through serious, bumper to bumper traffic daily.

1073fef91f3ab7758551c3e77dcd0f64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Man, I really need some better exhaust tips...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The very back rear of the pass head will weap after some age. Seen it many times on early crown vics.
Not really noticed by drips, more of a sludge,...just enough seepage to evaporate and sludge alittle

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The first time I replaced my manifold it was the crossover. Second time it was the water pump. Could definitely be that. I wouldn't fret about it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^^ aw yes! Thats right. And when it seeps their is no trace because its in the engine valley

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On a positive note its a 98 so you have the improved cooling as in radiator/fan assembly. Like said above you may just have some age related failure and some maintenance issues.

Water pump isn't crazy expensive and easy to change when you do the PI swap and you will change the coolant tube in the valley when you swap intakes also. When you get the intake off eventually you will have a better view of whats going on.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Look at this! There wasn't any outward evidence before but now there is ????

0b3cced8f72dac12e832b19912959502.jpg

6ffd821743e03b9d6d275a5ad56ebbb7.jpg

Looks like a gasket issue and I'll fix it next weekend (or whenever) with the PI intake swap.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Hmm yeah actually before I even read what you said I was thinking gasket myself. That would be the cheapest issue to have that's for sure

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Youll be lucky if its just gasket issue. The plastic under the aluminum crossover are giving up due to old age. Luckily the intakes are cheap. Try to source a Ford intake and not the retrictive Dorman intakes. Someone else here had the same problem but I cant recall who. They successfully repaired the plastic with some epoxy.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have a cheap, dorman intake that was free so...

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a gangster crossover Josef lol. But shit, free's free. Get that thing tossed on there with some fresh gaskets and your issue should be gone

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks a gangster crossover Josef lol. But shit, free's free. Get that thing tossed on there with some fresh gaskets and your issue should be gone

You mean the fuel rail crossover? Yeah, I'll probably use whatever's on the car already of possible. Looks like the coolant crossover has the second location already drilled/tapped too.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You mean the fuel rail crossover? Yeah, I'll probably use whatever's on the car already of possible. Looks like the coolant crossover has the second location already drilled/tapped too.

Yuppers. And good thinking. And looks like it's ready to roll man. Hope it fixes your leak!

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Is it required to torque the Sparks plugs again after changing them? I've driven the car to work and heat cycled the new plugs a few times. Here's how it sounds at idle:

https://vimeo.com/120429567

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online