My 94 Cobra turbo build

Turbulence

Reaction score
So I have been sort of trucking around here on the forum, looking at everyone's rides and posts, so I thought I would start one of my 94 cobra turbo build. I have almost completed it at this point, but I have hit a wall with the tuning. Maybe some of you all could point me in the right direction. The car was really clean when I got it about 5 years ago, but like all of these cars, it was slowing down, and starting to show signs of engine issues. After tons of guessing, and research, a lot of asking friends and saving, I jumped into the rebuild. I will post pictures and I welcome any input. Thanks.

With the exception of the FR500 wheels, and some elevation attitude adjustments this is what it looked like when I got it. Basically a bone stock ( no performance mods at all ) 1994 SVT Cobra.

I will post a list of mods and parts used later today.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I just have questions about properly setting up my tune with AFM PMS EEC-IV with the On3 70mm and Idle issues, as well as load rich bogging issues. I am completely lost I guess. Here it is after rebuild and turbo install...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.... Awesome build and the car looks clean! There's quite a few guys on here with great knowledge that should be able to chime in with some tuning wisdom

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Thanks. I am new to all this forum stuff. I expect that I should have posted some of this in a build thread. Hopefully those that have knowledge will shoot me strait!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you suspect its in the tune I would think andersons tuning site would be the best place. We don't have that many running aftermarket engine management systems and not sure how many on the anderson.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Update:

After beating my head against the steering wheel for a couple weeks, I just tore the top end off again. I ordered a Pro Tube for the MAF so I could ditch the old draw through PRO-M while also getting the calibration for 42 pound injectors. But low and behold, after I got the upper manifold off, and began to tear into the turbo cold side piping, I discovered that the vacuum line from the waste gate up to the manifold, was cut. Obviously a problem. Also, number 8 plug wire not making good connection to plug, so out with the old and in with the new. I am going back to my Garrett/Holset Hybrid 70MM, and I think I will have to cut the v-band portions of the down pipe, and weld in better quality ones. The ones I got from On3 Performance, are all leaking, bad.

what it looks like today.....

what it looked like yesterday.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Cool project. Appears you identified the issues. Should make a big difference now!

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I am having other issues now, all related I'm sure. I got the MAF and injector thing worked out, and after chasing down 4 or 5 bad vacume leaks, I have it mostly there. However, I have run up against a miss on #1 cylinder. No matter what it comes back, as soon as the car comes up to temp. new plugs, Distributor, Coil, new intake manifold gaskets, ( upper and Lower) and attempts to swap injectors from one side to the other, all yield a Miss on #1. New wires, and new plugs again, and same result. I am open to suggestions from more knowledgeable guys? Has anyone ever come up against this?

Could it be related to the EGR delete? or the PCM failing or some other completely random thing? Please help with ideas.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
On another note, Can anyone tell me where to find some GOOD images of an oil/air separator or Catch Can set up for the SN95 cars, using stock cobra valve covers? I just cannot seem to find anything anywhere. I have welded a bung into the left cover at the front over #5 rockers, and I am planning on running 8AN to the can, but I need inspiration, as the engine bay is completely full, and the right side rocker cover is super tight. Ideas?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can gain a little space by adding an upper/lower intake spacer. It also is supposed to help by separating the upper/lower so the upper does not heat up as fast/much. I have the bung on my stock fox valve covers on the front drivers side and the hose runs back to the back from a 90 degree AN fitting I will see if I can get a pic of. You can probably find it on my driiive page in my sig.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I ran -10an line from each cover to a Y block, than from Y block to breather tank which I mounted where driver side coil pack used to be. Looked pretty clean

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Thanks guys. ttocs, I also have the bung on the front drivers side, with intent to AN 90 back to the fire wall, and catch the passengers side, so at least I am on the right track there. Did you completely eliminate the PCV by blocking it off? Thanks again.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
What a nice example of what a SN95 can be....absolutely beautiful. I hope mine can be a polished as yours someday. All the wires along the firewall are gone, and the upper intake is flawless. I keep working mine with finer and finer grits before polish, but it has a long way to go! I didn't actually see where your catch can was mounted, but I see the locations on the AN fittings on the valve covers. Mine are very close.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I need some help with tuning ideas from those who are boosted, and using the factory ECU in a 94/95 set up. Currently I have a PMS, but I am not exactly thrilled with it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a pms in my hand at nrma for a really good deal but decided to hold out for the holley efi HP system instead.

castine917

Reaction score
I ran both of my breathers near back of valve covers and added another oil fill at front on driver side.

castine917

Reaction score
Old neighbor had pms for tuning 306, trick flow r, trick heads( not sure which) ysi. pulled 9 in the quarter through an auto in a Fox body weighing over 3200. Rwhp was 640 at anderson dyno day. Combo held for years. Cruised on street all the time. Can't find video of it right now(old link broken).

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I appreciate the pics of the can location...and I expect that once I get the curve figured out, the pms should do the job. I really do not know enough about what things affect what to mess with it too much. Adding fuel seems strait forward, better rich than lean, however, dialing in timing at the various curves has proved to be a difficult task. That, plus all the hoopla that gets made of the ECU in this year car being very restrictive keeps me thinking that I am just missing something. I will keep up trying to find a Base Curve to work with, in hopes of getting it close enough to take to my dyno guy.

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
I don’t have too much experience with a MAF slide as I am on megasquirt (speed density) your miss may be the actual injector. I had a similar issue and my connection wasn’t making good contact. I used some electric contact cleaner (some type of scale had built up) and some di-electric grease and mine went away. I have tuned my VE and spark table myself on 60lb injectors and it’s running 11.7~ WOT
15~ cruise and 13~ idle (injectors are way over sized) I also have a base map for a cobra (stock) that I can try and figure out how to export. I’m not sure of the compatibility with a MAF though. I would also highly recommend megasquirt super fun and has worked flawless.
If you remove the spark plug wire as it is running does it change pitch in the slightest?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online