My 97 GT

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ender said:
Thanks man. I picked up the IRS for $500 on ebay, picked up a 00R cross brace and urethane bushings from Maximum Motorsports for about $250, and some cobra rotors from the local autozone. Stock calipers, lines, and brackets all swap over. Some people have had to shorten their driveshaft, but mine (FRPP aluminum) fit without a problem. You will need a set of Cobra e-brake cables, I haven't gotten around to that yet, been living without the e-brake for the last few months.

Thanks for the info Ender, If you don't mine, what was it called, or what did you search for?
I want to put the IRS on my 67 mustang.. 500 bucks is a great price.
Interesting tidbit, the new mustang rear suspension is supposed to fit right up into the 65+ mustangs.. :)
I'm just starting to look, and need to do some more research, but that would be a great start.

Thanks.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
Just do a search for "Cobra IRS". There are a couple listed right now, including one modified to fit a 67-68, not sure if it would fit a 65, I don't know much about the older suspensions. You may have to wait a while to find a good deal, the ones listed now are a bit expensive. Check out the classifieds on SVTPerformance, there are usually a few listed there as well.

There are a few differences between the years for the IRS, 99 had 28 spline half shafts, 01-04( and 00R) are 31 spline on the differential side and 28 spline on the knuckle side. 03--04 half shafts are supposed to be stronger than 99-01. 99 and 01 have 3.27 gears, 00R and 03-04 are 3.55. 00R and 03-04 have a better cross brace which incorporates a differential support to reduce wheelhop, and they have Bilstein shocks (00R are valved differently from 03-04). Spring rates also vary between 99-01, 00R, and 03-04, but I'm not sure what the rates are. 03-04 (and possibly 00R) have stiffer bushings.

All that being said, I'm running a 99 IRS with the upgraded cross brace, 03 Bilsteins, 99 Springs, and polyurethane control arm and subframe bushings. Future plans include aluminum differential bushings, coilovers, and possibly delrin control arm/subframe bushings.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
What part of VA Beach are you from, my dad lives right by lynnhaven mall and i go up there during the summers. I didnt know there was autocross events in VA beach.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
I live off of South Indepence, where Independence and Holland split off. There are several clubs that run autocrosses here, I go to the SCCA events at Pungo Airfield, and also run wednesday nights at Langley Speedway in Hampton.

plUMe.Ok.97

Reaction score
great looking car. My brother had plans to do the same thing with his 96 gt, but decided to build a 383 stroker for a 96 s-10. My whole family is into drag racing and cars.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
I fixed those stupid exhaust tips today, I'll put pictures up tomorrow when it's light and I'm sober. Got some long tubes too, they'll be going on with the SVO heads. :banana: :drunk:

S

scarface

Take my advice. Get a Tubular K-member also....These damn long tubes are a pain to instal and remove without one.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
Tubular K members are expensive. I will eventually, but probably not until I build a new aluminum block engine. I'll just drop the K to do the headers, it's easy and doesn't take that long.

S

scarface

Ender said:
Tubular K members are expensive. I will eventually, but probably not until I build a new aluminum block engine. I'll just drop the K to do the headers, it's easy and doesn't take that long.
[/quote
then why am I doing it by myself. This is the second time doing it, and it sucks!

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
DSC01724 (Medium).jpg

The SVO heads are on, hopefully I can do the longtubes tomorrow and get her running again. :banana:

S

scarface

sweet Tony! we are just about at the same point now. Tranny is in ,and Im about ready to re-instal my long tubes:) Can wait to see what your car does. Are you going to get it tuned before you go back to Florida?

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to try to get Ed to do it before I leave. Jason did a great job on the heads, I'm expecting to see some good power out of this.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
looks good. even with the IRS..hehe, now drop that biatch

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
DSC01725 (Small).jpg

One header is done, what a pain in the ass. I'm using the Stage 8 locking bolts, and they are a real bitch to put together in a few spots. Hopefully the driver's side will be a bit easier.

S

scarface

hmmmm.....THe drivers side is the hardest for me...I agree Stage8 bolts are awsome, but a PITA to put together.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
The driver's side was a lot easier, it only took me 15 minutes. Maybe I'll have her running tomorrow. :banana:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those hedders will sound AWSOME!

On the IRS, I found one here in town. the guy did a solid axle swap, and even put a 373 in it. Perfect!!
400 bucks. ;D
I need to upgrade the bushings and stuff eventually. Does MM do a coil over for those things??

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
They sure do. What year Cobra did it come out of?

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
It's all back together, and now the car won't start. :rant: It's getting fuel and good spark, and I didn't have any leftover parts. I don't know wtf is wrong...

S

scarface

did you remember to reconnect the two ground straps on the drivers side motor mount? That would keep it from starting.

It took me 3 hours to get the damn drivers side done today, and about 20 mins on the passenger side??? Must be the difference in the brand of headers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online