My 97 GT

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
I reset my cam timing today, hopefully the tick will be gone when I start her up again. I'm wating until the morning so that all the RTV has time to cure overnight. :noes:

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
No dice, still ticking. I guess I'll take it in to Steen's again and see if Jason has any more ideas, this damn thing is driving me nuts! :rant:

S

scarface

I had a slight ticking that was bugging me also, turned out to be a header leak...didnt sound like one to my ears, but it was.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
I'll take a look at that tomorrow. It would have to be one hell of a leak to sound like it does, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. It runs pretty well considering that I've changed heads, cams, intake, and full exhaust without a tune. I really want to figure this out so I can have Ed tune it next week before I leave.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ender said:
There are a few differences between the years for the IRS, 99 had 28 spline half shafts, 01-04( and 00R) are 31 spline on the differential side and 28 spline on the knuckle side. 03--04 half shafts are supposed to be stronger than 99-01. 99 and 01 have 3.27 gears, 00R and 03-04 are 3.55. 00R and 03-04 have a better cross brace which incorporates a differential support to reduce wheelhop, and they have Bilstein shocks (00R are valved differently from 03-04). Spring rates also vary between 99-01, 00R, and 03-04, but I'm not sure what the rates are. 03-04 (and possibly 00R) have stiffer bushings.

All that being said, I'm running a 99 IRS with the upgraded cross brace, 03 Bilsteins, 99 Springs, and polyurethane control arm and subframe bushings. Future plans include aluminum differential bushings, coilovers, and possibly delrin control arm/subframe bushings.
Hey man, I don't know if you saw my other thread, but I found one here in town.
Guy I know, put a solid axle on his 01, built motor, stage 3 eaton ect.
It has the 03 axles, and 373 ring.
that's just what I was looking for.
I just need to fabricate the rear mounts for it.
I'm excited, get to pick it up next week.

I'll be looking into the bushing upgrades from MM and the coil overs.
Do you have any suggestions for me?
The motor will have about 500 at the wheels.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=586.0

S

scarface

Ender said:
I'll take a look at that tomorrow. It would have to be one hell of a leak to sound like it does, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. It runs pretty well considering that I've changed heads, cams, intake, and full exhaust without a tune. I really want to figure this out so I can have Ed tune it next week before I leave.
Tony, aftr my tune the gasket let go BAD. It never crossed my mind that it was a leak....I chauked it up to a blown engine. Thats how bad it sounded.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Hey man, I don't know if you saw my other thread, but I found one here in town.
Guy I know, put a solid axle on his 01, built motor, stage 3 eaton ect.
It has the 03 axles, and 373 ring.
that's just what I was looking for.
I just need to fabricate the rear mounts for it.
I'm excited, get to pick it up next week.

I'll be looking into the bushing upgrades from MM and the coil overs.
Do you have any suggestions for me?
The motor will have about 500 at the wheels.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=586.0

Get the delrin bushings if you can afford it. I put urethane in mine, and now I wish I had just saved up and done it right the first time. The urethane bushings are a little better than stock, but I still get a lot of wheelhop on hard launches, and sooner or later urethane will start to squeak. I don't have any firsthand experience with coilovers, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, I will put a set on eventually.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
Got her tuned today, put down 264 HP/ 288 TQ. Not bad numbers at all for the mods, but it sure could use something more aggressive than a PI cam.

OP
OP
E

Ender

Reaction score
scarface said:
awsome man! Is it still making noises?

Yeah, but it's not as bad as it was before. I'll dig into it when I have the chance, but I've been really busy the last few weeks, and probably will be for the next few.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online