My daily won't start (´;︵;`)

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So my 94 sentra decided today it wasn't having anymore of my shit. I drove it to work as usual, went to grab a few things at the store, got gas, and on my way home I stopped to get the mail. Turn the car off, grabbed the mail, and at that point the car wouldn't start. I rolled it down the street to my driveway and have been messing with it for the past few hours. I've checked all the fuses as well as tried jumping the battery, neither of which seem to be the problem. At first I thought the neutral safety switch was malfunctioning but after playing around in different gears.. nothing. Which leads me to my next question; do starters randomly stop working? I am no expert on starters as I am a finisher. Pls help.

The engine itself does not turn over. When the key is switched to the start position, all I hear is a click. Nothing more, nothing less.

I also probably won't have the car fixed by tomorrow so this means I have to drive the mustang to work. Whoop dee ****ing doo.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here is a short video I took showing the problem. Sounds like the clicking is coming from the relays? Idk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLY0GqilTxQ
Also, the nissan forum/community is useless as a whole (excluding the Z owners).

Thanks ☹ै

lutter94

Reaction score
I don't think those relays would click if there was a safety switch preventing it. Have a multi meter? Watch the voltage drop when you try to start it, I'm guessing its dead.....

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think those relays would click if there was a safety switch preventing it. Have a multi meter? Watch the voltage drop when you try to start it, I'm guessing its dead.....

You assume what's dead?

& yes, I do have a multimeter and will try testing the voltage when I have a day off work.

lutter94

Reaction score
The battery, I've seen plenty of scenarios where everything works fine, looks fine, smells fine, lol. But just clicks when you turn the key to start.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had one guy tell me the same thing on the nissan forums. Although even when trying to turn the car on, the headlights don't dim, fade, or anything. All electronics and lights work perfectly fine. I'll take the battery to autozone to rule it out tomorrow. I've tried jump starting it twice, with 2 different cars, and no luck. Cleaned the terminals, re-tightened them down and all. *sigh*

chris91

Reaction score
Smack the starter with a hammer. Sounds like a bad starter to me and yes they will just die with no warning. Had it happen to my Explorer.

kb1982

Reaction score
Usually if you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, it will bypass all saftey switches

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Smack the starter with a hammer. Sounds like a bad starter to me and yes they will just die with no warning. Had it happen to my Explorer.

I'm leaning towards the starter as well. I started taking apart the intake to get to the starter when I realized the video I was following was for a standard. Mine is under the car and will require jacking up the car, which is parked in the middle of my street. Sounds like Friday is going to be fun.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Try cleaning the connections on the battery.

That's what the issue was on my 98 f150. I swore it was the starter too, but it ended up being a bad connection on the battery cable. Cleaned it and it fired up every single time after that.

cameron57

Reaction score
My guess is starter is bad a easy way to check is unbolt and his the key you should here it zing if its working

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol @ Zing

But Since you said you are already getting the battery checked, it's not a bad idea. I have had situations where a car wouldn't jump and all electronics worked but for whatever reason the car just wouldn't start because of a battery. It's weird and against what we normally see but it does happen.

At least that's free to check!

talltim

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad solenoid.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The battery is just fine. Hopefully I'll find sometime to jack up the car tomorrow and smack the starter around. On the other hand, I drove the mustang to work today which was nice for a change. Couldn't get in our parking structure but yolo.

MecGen

Reaction score
Use a test light and check the big red wire at the starter for 12 volts, then check the signal, the small wire for 12 volts when somebody turns the key to start. If it's all there, change the starter.

Easy Peay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online