My First N2O kit... Weird ZEX setup?

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Before anything... Car: 2002 GT Mac off road pro chamber w dumps, SR CAI, 90mm lightning MAF, BBK 78mm T-Intake, motorcraft 24# injectors/255lph fp, EGR delete, Bama tuned (not for nitrous yet)... Stock gears, short shifter, drag lites... Blah blah...

ALSO RUNNING AN Innovate Mtx-L Wideband. Goes to around 13:2 at wot right now without the kit.

Bought this ZEX dry kit for dirt cheap off craigslist. Basically paid the price of the 10lb bottle for a complete kit with an extra purge solenoid and lines. Haven't had time to do the install yet and I'm debating wether or not I should just upgrade to a wet setup first anyway. I have everything I need to run a dry 75 shot besides a bottle fill.

I started reading more into the instructions for the control module and it seems to me that the vacuum lines that go to the fuel pressure regulator and back to the intake for bleed-off is more for an import setup or something like that. Or maybe a return style fuel system. My control module I'm using is the ZEX 82007 on the summit site...

I've got a .032 fuel vacuum jet and a .038 nitrous jet at the nozzle for a 75hp shot according to the tune sheet.

Is anyone else running this setup? Should I avoid the possible damage and go up to a wet kit? Or go ahead and run this setup a few times? Definitely plan on tuning for nitrous either way as far as timing. The kit instructions say the bottle pressure adjusts the fuel pressure and all that. Idk. It's my first EFI kit and it's all new. Just need someone familiar with this particular ZEX setup to chime in. Thanks.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I have the kit

What is your question?

Have you driven a nitrous car before? See how you like the 75 shot ....and bottle refils. If its fine with you move onto a nice dedicated wet kit. A tune is always important regardless of being wet or dry. I want to mount my nozzle in my egr delete plate but im lazy

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I know that as far as Mustangs go, generally most people are running wet kits, such as myself. I know my kit calls for no timing reduction with a 75 shot (on a wet kit, without extensive modifications).

"The dry kit also has its drawbacks. Most tuners are not fond of the dry kit. It requires a bit more skill than the wet kit. This system can be finicky and temperamental. Many times the injectors will need to be switched out to a high flow type. They must be in perfect working order and not driven more than 85% duty cycle. With the dry kit, you are relying on the injectors, MAF, and the computer to add the extra fuel required. If one of these electrical components fails, poof goes the engine."

They both have advantages and disadvantages. Generally it is somewhat easier to tune wet than dry. You may have to upgrade some fuel system components, but I doubt it with a 75 shot.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I have the kit

What is your question?

Have you driven a nitrous car before? See how you like the 75 shot ....and bottle refils. If its fine with you move onto a nice dedicated wet kit. A tune is always important regardless of being wet or dry. I want to mount my nozzle in my egr delete plate but im lazy

Yeah, it's not unusual for me to spend 160 dollars a month on nitrous...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've never been into dry systems I would just change it to a wet kit .

Jgehret

Reaction score
The dry system is ok. A good starter kit, but you really need to make sure all your electrical and fuel system is up to snuff. I ran a dry 125 shot for about 3 years. Never did any harm but I kept my a/f ratio rich at wot. Also you'll have to start playing with spark plugs to find the right heat range the car likes.

Long and short, go with a wet kit or put a turbo on it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Plugs are covered. Running those NGKs @ a .47 gap. Injectors are covered. Got 24lb barely running their duty cycle. Fuel pump is 255lph and had a tune made for a 75 shot.

The original question was if this kit was compatible with my return-less fuel system. I may have had things crossed but I was under the impression that 82007 control module was only for the return style..

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Bottle filled and all BS parts/fittings/maintenance is all paid for. In all I've spent $220 including the kit with bottle and purge and a nitrous fill. EVERYTHING. Now that's cheap power. Will post pics of the install and 1/4 mile times.

RichV

Reaction score
Thinking back to my nitrous drag racing days...

I've only had dry kits on return style cars, but knew a couple of guys with new edge cars that started with the dry. IIRC, the trick was to spray before the MAF so the fuel will compensate. But even at that there was a lean condition when you initially hit the nitrous. Eventually my friends did get tunes for the safety aspect and turned up the shot.

I would definitely spray on a dyno with a wideband logger and make sure you're safe before running several bottles through it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Thinking back to my nitrous drag racing days...

I've only had dry kits on return style cars, but knew a couple of guys with new edge cars that started with the dry. IIRC, the trick was to spray before the MAF so the fuel will compensate. But even at that there was a lean condition when you initially hit the nitrous. Eventually my friends did get tunes for the safety aspect and turned up the shot.

I would definitely spray on a dyno with a wideband logger and make sure you're safe before running several bottles through it.

Well I finished it up just in time to go out cruising last night and all I gotta say is WOW. 75hp is one hell of a kick in the ass. Have it set to trigger at WOT from the TPS out. The wideband reads between 13.5 down to 11.5 or so on the rich side. Never goes lean while spraying. It actually likes to go rich right at the kick. I think the 24# injectors and fuel pump I'm running are perfect for the setup I've got. I would love to get a full dyno tune with it to see how much I can get out of it. I swear it did a mid to low 12 second pull last night.. FELT AMAZING.

I've heard of the blow through MAF setup to trick the fuel management. Think that's how the NX kits are. This style seems to be working... I'm very surprised and satisfied so far. I WILL DEF BE GOING TO A WET SETUP for 100hp or more to hold me over while I'm building the 4V up. But this will definitely work for a few passes and street upsets lol. Actually already got an LS f body last night at the local car wash where the street guys meet. Pulled a full car and a half at least.

I am running a tune from bama for a 75 wet kit. They won't tune for dry, but... Whatever they did... It worked.

Pic of my custom control panel, new wideband, and all new white faces.
image_zpsgieovdlq.jpg

image_zpsguh9gzck.jpg

image_zps98mbnq2h.jpg

These innovate gauges are nice for the money.

All in all, not a bad nitrous kit for a grand total of 250 including the bottle full and a couple gals of 110 race fuel. Lol

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
did it come with a window switch?

Nah, Im just feathering the pedal for now till it gets into the higher power curve, then its on the floor...or when i feel like theres not too much load... Im being careful with it and still hanging with my buddys SRT 300C which is know in my area as "That huge 4 door that runs low 12s". He pulled a fender on me today. Thats all he could get at both lights i caught him at..

Like i said, this is a temp kit to play with till i get my wet kit upgrade. Already ordering lines and jets, and the FPRS output spacer.

ANYONE TRIED THE PLENUM SPACER WITH THE NOZZLE PROVISION?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
The dry system is ok. A good starter kit, but you really need to make sure all your electrical and fuel system is up to snuff. I ran a dry 125 shot for about 3 years. Never did any harm but I kept my a/f ratio rich at wot. Also you'll have to start playing with spark plugs to find the right heat range the car likes.

Long and short, go with a wet kit or put a turbo on it.

Wow... I just saw this. Thats quite impressive for a dry kit. Every N2O 2V car i know of around here are wet setups. How you keep your WOT ratio richer? Was it through the tuner percentge adjustments? Ive been wondering if i should try bumping it up one step or not to see how it likes it. I pulled all the plugs earlier and they look nice and tan. Happy NGKs. I also re gapped them down to .045. Seems like it likes the smaller gap.

Oh, and was that car a return style fuel system?

Jgehret

Reaction score
Wow... I just saw this. Thats quite impressive for a dry kit. Every N2O 2V car i know of around here are wet setups. How you keep your WOT ratio richer? Was it through the tuner percentge adjustments? Ive been wondering if i should try bumping it up one step or not to see how it likes it. I pulled all the plugs earlier and they look nice and tan. Happy NGKs. I also re gapped them down to .045. Seems like it likes the smaller gap.

Oh, and was that car a return style fuel system?

It was in my old 93 lx, return style fuel system. I was able to use an old school ford motorsport rev extender (a piggyback box that allows adjustment of a/f ratio at wot, and the factory rev limiter). I'll have to dig out my notes and see what plugs I finally settled on. I do recall they were 2 ranges hotter than stock plugs. Also you nailed it on the tighter gap. I ended up running with a .035 gap.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Got the purge all plumbed up.... BAD ASS

image_zpsftap73xl.jpg

NEED TO CLEAN MY GARAGE...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members