My little 2V is officially an LS1 eater.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Hah. I think maybe I was caught in the moment when I gave my car that title. I've seen LS cars like the one I killed run low 13s with intake and exhaust consistently. My car runs 13.5s up to 13.8s now @ 100-102mph. It varies depending on my launch. The tires are nearly bald in the rear and sometimes they hook, sometimes they don't. My best 60' was 1.79. It's a quick little 2v. I've grown up living 10 miles away from Maryland intl Raceway so I've been driving down the straight track on Friday nights most of my life...I more than likely had a driver skill edge on this guy. But hey, all that matters is who's in front towards the end of 4th gear right? At least I've gotten rid of one more npi 2v terd. I need some new tires.

Time me to find another one.

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Hah. I think maybe I was caught in the moment when I gave my car that title. I've seen LS cars like the one I killed run low 13s with intake and exhaust consistently. My car runs 13.5s up to 13.8s now @ 100-102mph. It varies depending on my launch. The tires are nearly bald in the rear and sometimes they hook, sometimes they don't. My best 60' was 1.79. It's a quick little 2v. I've grown up living 10 miles away from Maryland intl Raceway so I've been driving down the straight track on Friday nights most of my life...I more than likely had a driver skill edge on this guy. But hey, all that matters is who's in front towards the end of 4th gear right? At least I've gotten rid of one more npi 2v terd. I need some new tires.

Time me to find another one.

Very nice.

One thing I've learned over the years: in a race between two cars that are within a couple of seconds of each other in the 1/4 mile, the driver is EVERYTHING.

redriderjf87

Reaction score
You are ahead in total speed, but when you shift sooner than the other car because you're more aggressively geared, the other car will catch up somewhat because it's now got the advantage of more gearing (his 1st gear vs. your 2nd, or his 2nd vs your 3rd, etc.).

If you actually map out a graph of total toque on the wheels vs. speed, you'll see that there's actually not much of an advantage after 1st gear, because of this give-and-take. If I think of it after work, I'll post up a couple of graphs from a racing calculator I built in Excel. IIRC, there was less than a tenth difference in the 1/4 mile between a 3.27 geared car and a 4.10 gear car (stock 2-valve PI) if the 60' was the same. Of course, with proper traction, a better 60' is attainable with a steeper gear.

Always speaking, the ideal gear is the one that places you nearest the highest average horsepower throughout. Regardless of anything else, the car that puts the highest average horsepower to the ground (per given weight) will win. Always. Typically speaking, this is the one that is geared such that the rpm are at redline when in the tallest transmission gear needed to get to the desired speed at the end of the race.

Thanks, that was a better explained way of what I was thinking at least, and then some.

To the OP, LS1 killer or not, a n/a 2v in consistent mid 13's is pretty solid for a dd-capable in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online