My new 98 Cobra. Questions.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yes it will run fine.
You'll have to make your own O2 simulators, they don't sell them anymore.
General rule of thumb:
X pipe sounds best with a straight through muffler (doesn't usually sound great with a chambered muffler).
H pipe sounds best with a chambered muffler.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Agreed with the above. Also if looking for an offload x pipe you can always try used but if you want new only one company makes them for stock headers now and it's... you guessed it bassani.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have looked and can’t find any off-road x pipes listed for sale. I will make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can figure ou.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have looked and can’t find any off-road x pipes listed for sale. I will make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can figure ou.
Don't call bassani directly. They specifically charge more so you purchase from a dealer. Idk why but it's good on them for letting their dealers make sales. And like I said lethal performance will probably make you a deal on black friday/cyber Monday even if it's only 10% that's still a good deal. They gave me 5% on just a random day good customer service there

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Kooks 1 5/8" headers and off-road X pipe ordered. Will be a while before they are fabricated and shipped. Got them for about $200 more than Bassani or BBK.

Maximum95

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea about Moates closing their doors. I just went to the website and sure enough, it is no more! moates.net for anyone who wants to read about it. I have a Moates QH on my car so goodbye support I guess!!

@Mike’s4ValveCobra can we see some photos of this lovely machine?

Did I skip over cat-back exhaust information? I don't think I read anything about your plans there. My recommendation if you're trying to avoid drone would be Magnaflow.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea about Moates closing their doors. I just went to the website and sure enough, it is no more! moates.net for anyone who wants to read about it. I have a Moates QH on my car so goodbye support I guess!!

@Mike’s4ValveCobra can we see some photos of this lovely machine?

Did I skip over cat-back exhaust information? I don't think I read anything about your plans there. My recommendation if you're trying to avoid drone would be Magnaflow.
I actually haven't taken any pictures of it yet. looks like a stock black 98 Cobra with some faded paint on the roof. The car is exceptionally clean! I mean like new clean underneath and under the hood. Zero dents or scratches, but paint is faded in several spots. It will be getting paint soon as well. The paint on the wheels is faded too. I will Cerakote them and make them look better than new.

I am planning on keeping the stock mufflers and tail pipes. Hopefully the stock mufflers will keep the drone down to a tolerable level.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
I have been looking at some options for DIY tuning my car after I get the headers installed. Looks like I could by a license for Binary Editor and tune my stock ECU if I can also find a Moates chip and add a wideband O2 sensor. I also see where there is a plug and play Mega Squirt 3 Pro available which also requires a wideband O2 sensor but includes the tuning software license.

Any firsthand experience or advice would be appreciated.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I have been looking at some options for DIY tuning my car after I get the headers installed. Looks like I could by a license for Binary Editor and tune my stock ECU if I can also find a Moates chip and add a wideband O2 sensor. I also see where there is a plug and play Mega Squirt 3 Pro available which also requires a wideband O2 sensor but includes the tuning software license.

Any firsthand experience or advice would be appreciated.
There is no more support for the moates chip. They closed down, so that might help your decision. I tuned my car on megasquirt before, it works really well but there is a very steep learning curve. Plenty of remote tuning options if you needed help though.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Bassani makes some good shite. Their 03/04 cobra catback is simply perfect. I also used their mid length headers and X on my old Teskid motor. Pretty good overall, except them PITA square primary gaskets, lol.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
There is no more support for the moates chip. They closed down, so that might help your decision. I tuned my car on megasquirt before, it works really well but there is a very steep learning curve. Plenty of remote tuning options if you needed help though.
Yeah I saw that Moates closed their doors. I looked but haven't been able to find any Moates chips available, does anyone know someone that has any left over? It would probably cost half as much to do a Moates chip with binary editor vs a MS3 if I could find a chip for sale. On the other hand the Megasquirt is superior to the stock ECU and the tuning options are unlimited. I am not too worried about the learning curve if I go MS, it will be a fun learning experience.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Bassani makes some good shite. Their 03/04 cobra catback is simply perfect. I also used their mid length headers and X on my old Teskid motor. Pretty good overall, except them PITA square primary gaskets, lol.
I like the idea of the extra ground clearance of the mid length headers. A few weeks ago I tried to find someplace that had Bassani mid lengths in stock with no luck. Kooks was running a sale with significant discounts, so I ordered some 1 5/8"x2 1/2" long tubes with 2 1/2" X pipe for about the same price as the Bassanis.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Kooks headers and X pipe installed, they fit great! EGR, secondary air injection and IMRC systems have been removed.

Now I need to get the car tuned. Any advice on a shop that could tune it within a few hours of SE Georgia would be appreciated.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Come on guys, someone has to know of a reputable shop who can tune my car? Any advice on hardware would also be appreciate.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i would try steeda
i had my 05 gt done with them

or i would try a mega squirt plug and play have some one tune it
or try it yourself

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It has been a while since I was researching tuning options, but from what I recall the only option for tuning the stock ECU was to use a MOATES chip which is no longer available. Are there any other options of tuning the stock ECU besides using a MOATES chip?

I don't have any plans to modify the car beyond the work I just accomplished, and therefore was hoping to find someone to tune the stock ECU. I'm sure the car is running a bit lean after the header installation and IMRC delete, and I don't want to drive it much until I can get it tuned properly.

If tuning the stock ECU is not going to be a valid option, it looks like the Megasquirt MS3 pro plug and play ECU may be my best bet. There are a couple shops nearby who may be able to help tune the Megasquirt if I have to go that route.

OP
OP
M

Mike’s4ValveCobra

Reaction score
I never got a response from NXcoupe. So I need to buy a SCT X 4. Should I wait and buy one from my tuner, or go ah and get one. Do I need a wide and O2 sensor and gauge as well, or will the X4 data log enough information to be able to tune the car?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online