My new CUSTOM BUILT rear shock tower brace.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my bad I was thinking of something different your right.

Now am I nuts to think that it would be a good idea to try and isolate it from going forward/back as well as side/side since under acceleration/braking it would be pulled in those directions?.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
my bad I was thinking of something different your right.

Now am I nuts to think that it would be a good idea to try and isolate it from going forward/back as well as side/side since under acceleration/braking it would be pulled in those directions?.

I would think torque boxes and tube ctrl arms take care of that. Most of that force under hard braking the front tower brace and subframe connectors handle well.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
We all know how bad the body rolls during a turn, so you can guess how much the chassis/unibody flexes/twists. But how much force is being applied to the strut towers? Are they "trying" to flex inwards during cornering?

I am all for chassis braces and subframe connectors and cages for that matter, but I don't know how much stress the design of the suspension puts on flexing the strut towers inwards. And if it does, I would think that you would want more than one bolt holding each side of the brace.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Nice looking piece, but not very functional. There is no load on the shock towers, and trying to stiffen something by attaching it to rubber bushings is completely pointless.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure it would make a huge difference on our cars. There would be some load/stress on the towers, but I think the bar would have a small amount of affect. But it looks good and doesn't hurt adding support on our cars. Same idea as the front brace.

I know the support does work on other cars. Like my focus for example. There's nothing really between the two rear wheels. If you add the bar and a massive sway bar its suppose to reduce understeer. In theory anyways.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Nice looking piece, but not very functional. There is no load on the shock towers, and trying to stiffen something by attaching it to rubber bushings is completely pointless.

The rubber bushings were replaced by steel spacers after realizing that a few days later. I don't want to weld to the car in the trunk or drill holes and I'm not dishing out the money for one until I get my coil overs, bump steer, and sway bars. Need a pan hard as well.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I think it will still do nothing even after the coilovers are in. The key thing that all these components miss is triangulation. Without that, it will simply wobble like a frame without a center. A rollcage or roll bar would be much more effective, because it is triangulated, and uses larger tubing, therefore substantially stiffer. That's one way to kill two birds with one stone. I've got a full MM kit on my car, and I don't have any kind of bracing in the back, because that's just added weight for no good reason that I can tell.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been considering making one that would go down to the floor and then across but I am really wanting to use it as a solid mount for my amps that are 40lbs each.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that it's not functional makes me want one even more. I could mount so many cool things to it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have been considering making one that would go down to the floor and then across but I am really wanting to use it as a solid mount for my amps that are 40lbs each.
Amps.....40lbs....? Please explain?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
looks good op. i wanna do this and mount an air tank to it. in fact i'm gonna do that lol.

95opal

Reaction score
Gonna agree with the rest. Although the idea is legit, the design and execution fail to provide any rigidity. As stated earlier it should be triangulated to be worth any improved stiffness. Go take a look how kennybrown has set up there rear brace, you'll notice its tied into the floor in a triangulated fasion. Without that its basically a towel rack.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Gonna agree with the rest. Although the idea is legit, the design and execution fail to provide any rigidity. As stated earlier it should be triangulated to be worth any improved stiffness. Go take a look how kennybrown has set up there rear brace, you'll notice its tied into the floor in a triangulated fasion. Without that its basically a towel rack.

no...no...an air tank rack :nono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online