My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious what your HP levels were on the old setup and what youre planning on the new setup.

Always liked this car, glad to see it getting a sort of breath of new air.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Just curious what your HP levels were on the old setup and what youre planning on the new setup.

cause no one likes belt slip lol. I beleive he said he made 600whp with a unlocked converter. That should be close to 720-750 engine hp.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score

I was making 600rwhp through the old blower setup. Difference with new setup will be 10:1 compression vs. my old 9.5:1, TF 38cc heads and custom grind turbo cams vs my old MMR Stage 3 PI heads and small blower cams, 76mm turbo vs my old JT/meth setup, and new setup will be E85. With this combo I am shooting for 800+ through the auto, depending on how much boost I want to run.

Thanks for the nice words. Had a ton of time/money into old setup but this is a build I've always wanted to do so now is the time!

cause no one likes belt slip lol. I beleive he said he made 600whp with a unlocked converter. That should be close to 720-750 engine hp.

Amen to that, it was a nightmare to even change the belt let alone deal with slip, etc. Loved the old setup I'm just ready for the next thing. I'm shooting for 800+ especially with the 10:1 compression now and E85

EVILSN

Reaction score
Glad to see you keeping the car and re re building lol. Gonna be soooooooooo killer!!

Sent from my iPhone using My dick

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Oh just wait. You'll never look back. If I could convince you 5.4 or hell even 5.8

Ha, this is the only way I'm saving any sort of money at all is staying 4.6 and using my short block again

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So today got the internals out to get a good look at what was going on. Here are some carnage pics for you guys:

#3 piston skirt:

#8 piston skirt:

So, it's somewhat of a relief that I've finally come to some sort of issue that was going on. It looks like what was clogged into the oil pickup tube was pieces of rear main seal. With some of the micro welding going on between the #3 piston and the cylinder walls it looks like overheating was obviously an issue. I brought the block and internals to my machinist, and he thinks we'll most likely have to re-bore and go .030 over this time around, don't think we can just hone the walls out. Obviously, I'll need new pistons as well. I was running Manley Platinum Series 18cc pistons, but am considering going to a set of Diamond pistons. With the new power goals of 800+, do you guys have any recommendation on what kind of piston I should be looking at? I think I'm going to run Total Seal AP rings this time around as well. Also, I'm shooting for 10:1 compression. With a non-pi block and TF heads, would it matter how I went about getting to 10:1? Meaning, if I run 18cc pistons with the TF 38cc heads, or vice versa, if I went with say a 15cc piston and the TF 44cc heads? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man that sucks but like you said, at least you finally found a problem! I am not knowledgeable on the big power stuff so I won't butt in there.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Man that sucks but like you said, at least you finally found a problem! I am not knowledgeable on the big power stuff so I won't butt in there.

I'm going to give Diamond a ring tomorrow and hopefully they can guide me in the right direction. I should be able to have the long block done probably by end of summer, its all the turbo parts that may take some time to save up/gather

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your gonna give diamond a ring....thats funny....

Not really..lol

Simple observation shows youre on the right path. This isnt your first go around. That being said, success is around the corner

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Your gonna give diamond a ring....thats funny....

Not really..lol

Simple observation shows youre on the right path. This isnt your first go around. That being said, success is around the corner

Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Started the parts gathering. Got an MMR 7 qt oil pan with windage tray and oil pan spacer, stock diameter 8 rib Innovators West dampener, and 4v TSS billet oil pump gears. Only thing I have a concern about is one of the billet gears looks like it has a good bit of surface rust...what do you guys think?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going .030 over I think you should be good to go running the 195 Trick Flow heads :drool:

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
If you are going .030 over I think you should be good to go running the 195 Trick Flow heads :drool:

It's funny, I actually just started reading up on them today. I wonder what constitutes as "big bore"?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Since you have to change pistons and machine the block, why not upgrade to a teksid or aluminator block and shed 70 pounds off the nose of the car?

i had diamond 15 or 18cc pistons in my last build. I believe they said they would be good for 900hp. Rings were standard iron rings. It all worked well until the next owner's fast Xfi had a software bug and stuck 58* of timing in. He did say it ran like a scalded ape though and didnt even realize what had happened till the next morning when he got in to take it to work and it was knocking. Lol

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Since you have to change pistons and machine the block, why not upgrade to a teksid or aluminator block and shed 70 pounds off the nose of the car?

i had diamond 15 or 18cc pistons in my last build. I believe they said they would be good for 900hp. Rings were standard iron rings. It all worked well until the next owner's fast Xfi had a software bug and stuck 58* of timing in. He did say it ran like a scalded ape though and didnt even realize what had happened till the next morning when he got in to take it to work and it was knocking. Lol

I considered going with an aluminum setup...but this will be one of the few areas where I can save some coin by just spending the $150 to have it bored a bit more. I already have this block clearances for the 8 bolt crank too and dumped a good bit of coin into the block the first time around...but I do agree that would be sweet to have that much weight savings up front. It's honestly just a street car, so I'm not trying to pinch pounds.

I'm glad to hear you were having good luck with the Diamond pistons. I believe with my Romeo block .030 over, Diamond 19cc pistons, and TF 38cc heads...I believe that should yield me around 10:1