My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny, I actually just started reading up on them today. I wonder what constitutes as "big bore"?

3.7" is a big bore but I think if you go .030 you will clear the bigger valves in the 195 heads. I wanted to order those so bad.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
3.7" is a big bore but I think if you go .030 you will clear the bigger valves in the 195 heads. I wanted to order those so bad.

Tough to find many real world reviews on these things, probably due to cost. Only thing if I went with those heads that would really hold me back would be stock ecu

Wichers123

Reaction score
Started the parts gathering. Got an MMR 7 qt oil pan with windage tray and oil pan spacer, stock diameter 8 rib Innovators West dampener, and 4v TSS billet oil pump gears. Only thing I have a concern about is one of the billet gears looks like it has a good bit of surface rust...what do you guys think?

that was you that posted that? Lol man send that shit back and get the whole pump already setup.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Tough to find many real world reviews on these things, probably due to cost. Only thing if I went with those heads that would really hold me back would be stock ecu
Why? Are you trying to rev to the moon. Boost will bring rpm down. No need for more than 7800 at max.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
that was you that posted that? Lol man send that shit back and get the whole pump already setup.

Yeah im going to get ahold of them today. I was about to pull the trigger on the whole pump, but for $160 more I just figured I can pop the 6 screws off the back and put these in myself...it just kills me spending $530+ on an oil pump. The only place I'm finding the fully assembled pump is from MHS and CMS.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and i didn't like it or want to but I can't have the same thing happen again.

Yeah, to be honest the difference is $160 between just buying the gears or the whole assembly. I could sell my perfectly good stock cobra pump, and its probably a $100 difference total. I'll just go that route and that way I don't have to worry about installing them myself, clearance issues, etc. I may look into this Boundary oil pump company though, guys are saying some good stuff about them

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
LMR took the return no problem and paid for shipping back. I talks to Jim over at CMS and he recommended Boundary oil pump. Went with a full oil pump with billet gears for a good bit less than just TSS gears.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you sent that back. Looks like it was starting to pit. I would have thought that would be oiled up after it was cut to prevent that.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad you sent that back. Looks like it was starting to pit. I would have thought that would be oiled up after it was cut to prevent that.

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be. Oh well, it happens

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
The boundary gears are supposed to be nice so let us know.

I ended up buying the entire pump with billet gears, and allegedly they send a complete blue print with their pumps so I'll post up when I get it

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Excellent idea! Be good of you to break it down and measure out all the specs too...lol Be absolutely sure the pump is to spec.

Honestly, though....my buddies 5.4l 4v F150 800rwhp is using the stock pump with 0 problems. I believe most pump failures are with aluminum blocks. Aluminum twist, crank flex, crank walk and a crank mounted oil pump spells disaster. I do get assuring the pump survival by upgrading the materials to something less brittle. Good move! Cheap insurance!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Excellent idea! Be good of you to break it down and measure out all the specs too...lol Be absolutely sure the pump is to spec.

Honestly, though....my buddies 5.4l 4v F150 800rwhp is using the stock pump with 0 problems. I believe most pump failures are with aluminum blocks. Aluminum twist, crank flex, crank walk and a crank mounted oil pump spells disaster. I do get assuring the pump survival by upgrading the materials to something less brittle. Good move! Cheap insurance!

Yeah, for how I use the car I never thought I would have had the issues I had this last time around so i figured I might as well upgrade things while they are out so I'm not doing this a 3rd time around lol

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Dang it!!! I've been waiting on this build thread and I freaking missed it somehow lol. I love seeing all this come together. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Dang it!!! I've been waiting on this build thread and I freaking missed it somehow lol. I love seeing all this come together. Keep us posted!

Slowly but surely! Haven't heard anything from machine shop yet, and its been a week so hopefully shortly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online