My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've been doing some researching on some of the turbo parts I'm going to need for my setup and wanted to start to gather some parts when I found good deals online. Just looking for feedback and opinions on this intercooler, waste gate, blow off valve, and boost controller:

Treadstone TRV2x9 --- I'm planning on going with a CG Fab hot side, and probably a custom 3" cold side. Is it easier to have the fab work done with the same side inlet/out or the opposite side?

http://www.maperformance.com/products/treadstone-3-50-trv259-intercooler-trv259x

Tial 44mm Wastegate --- I was most likely going to get the hot side with the 44mm Tial provision already made for the waste gate. With my goals, I'll probably run 10-12 psi consistently on the street, but with the 76mm turbo will probably turn it up to 20 or so psi for the higher hp goals. Thoughts on this 44mm?

http://www.maperformance.com/products/tial-mv-r-44mm-wastegate-mv-r-44mm?variant=8083503299

Innovate SCG-1 Wideband/Boost controller --- I already have an AEM Uego wideband, but this looks like an awesome option to combine a wide band and a boost controller in one gauge, that way I can just replace my AEM with this gauge and now have a multifunctional gauge for both features. Thoughts?

http://www.maperformance.com/produc...boost-controler-w-digital-display-by-innovate

Tial 50mm Q Series BOV --- Is there any benefit to going with a certain material flange? What's the most common I should be looking to get? You have to select what psi spring for the BOV, how do you go about deciding which spring I should be getting with the BOV? The options are 6, 8, 10, or 11.

http://www.maperformance.com/products/tial-sport-q-vent-to-atmosphere-blow-off-valve-tial-q

Any input/experience with the above parts are appreciated.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Uhm ..yup. I am totally clueless! No experience here!
Somebody will chime in.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Uhm ..yup. I am totally clueless! No experience here!
Somebody will chime in.

Trust me, this turbo world is all new too me too. I am pretty knowledgeable in the blower world, so I figured it would be very similar to going turbo. WRONG

Wichers123

Reaction score
97stanger tial products are great and visually look great. If your more about precision and simplicity look into jgs 50mm bov and I would go with a bigger wastegate 50mm also. The bigger wastegate if graphed into the hot properly can net you the lowest psi possible if to small it will have a hard time goin down to a lower psi. I originally was using a 43mm synapse and I couldn't get the boost below 13psi I run the jgs 50mm now and I could get down to 5psi on the 4.6 setup in the 5.4 I can get down to 8psi.

On the same side vs left/right it all depends on how you want to run your turbo kit. Try not to cross hot side/exhaust with cold side of the intercooler piping if you really have to wrap all pipes and heat shield.

Also so protect and wiring and hoses that run anywhere near turbo parts. Turbo blanket and heat sleeves can be a money saver in the long run. Protect your oil feed and return.

Make sure ire the hot side turbo is supported to the front cover some how. That's a lot of weight that needs support.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
97stanger tial products are great and visually look great. If your more about precision and simplicity look into jgs 50mm bov and I would go with a bigger wastegate 50mm also. The bigger wastegate if graphed into the hot properly can net you the lowest psi possible if to small it will have a hard time goin down to a lower psi. I originally was using a 43mm synapse and I couldn't get the boost below 13psi I run the jgs 50mm now and I could get down to 5psi on the 4.6 setup in the 5.4 I can get down to 8psi.

On the same side vs left/right it all depends on how you want to run your turbo kit. Try not to cross hot side/exhaust with cold side of the intercooler piping if you really have to wrap all pipes and heat shield.

Also so protect and wiring and hoses that run anywhere near turbo parts. Turbo blanket and heat sleeves can be a money saver in the long run. Protect your oil feed and return.

Make sure ire the hot side turbo is supported to the front cover some how. That's a lot of weight that needs support.

Thanks for all the advice man. I'm about 99% sure I'm going with a CG Fab hot side, and I was able to find a previous thread to give a real good idea of how the hot side will be ran:

What I'm thinking with a setup like that is if I got the same side inlet and had all the cold side plumbed on the passenger side of the intercooler that would probably work best. I'll look into bigger size waste gates as well, To be honest as long as I can get down to 10-12psi I'd be happy with that, I don't need to be down to 5psi at all. Hey did you get the nozzles yet? I sent that out on Wednesday so if not they should be showing up any day

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Do I spy a lathe in the background? What other toys do you have in there?

Oh man I wish that was mine. That's pictures from a different thread on a different motor. I don't even have the block on the stand as we speak :(

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Wichers any input on the Precision 46mm waste gate?

McCloud

Reaction score
8e79ac4b6d8eaed4051fcdbc293c1815.jpg

I just got my CG kit back from ceramicoating this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
8e79ac4b6d8eaed4051fcdbc293c1815.jpg

I just got my CG kit back from ceramicoating this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Man that looks awesome! Did you not get it coated direct from them and just did it on your own? Where's the down pipe? What size DP are you running?

What WG and BOV are you running?

Wichers123

Reaction score
Wichers any input on the Precision 46mm waste gate?
if you just buy two 38's and mount them on each bank you should be fine or that should work just fine. Precision stuff is nice and big money

Thanks for all the advice man. I'm about 99% sure I'm going with a CG Fab hot side, and I was able to find a previous thread to give a real good idea of how the hot side will be ran:

What I'm thinking with a setup like that is if I got the same side inlet and had all the cold side plumbed on the passenger side of the intercooler that would probably work best. I'll look into bigger size waste gates as well, To be honest as long as I can get down to 10-12psi I'd be happy with that, I don't need to be down to 5psi at all. Hey did you get the nozzles yet? I sent that out on Wednesday so if not they should be showing up any day

i have not yet but will keep an eye out I'm in no hurry. I did mount the tank.

Man that looks awesome! Did you not get it coated direct from them and just did it on your own? Where's the down pipe? What size DP are you running?

What WG and BOV are you running?

the down pipe is at the bottom looks like. At best try to run the same size pipe as the outlet of the turbo. I personally run 4" the a 16" racebullet muffler out the drivers bumper.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
With Gates and a big single, there is no such thing as not big enough. If it was me, i'd run a pair of 38mm gates in the bends where the hotside turns up to go to the turbo and dump the gates straight down. You want to get the exhaust flow a straight shot to the gate for the best control over the boost.

to small a gate and you'll get boost creep and spikes, to large and you dont..

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Still nothing from the machine shop yet...been there for 2 weeks. I called yesterday and the secretary said the owner said my block was "fine"...whatever that means. Fine as in just needed a hone? Or fine as just needs to be bored .30 from the .20...no clue. Hopefully have some word next week on a status of this thing, would like to start getting the short block wrapped up. Have sale for my heads/cams pending and if I can unload these as soon as I get short block back I'll have the funds to order up fully assembled TF 38 cc heads and still deciding on which turbo cams.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Got my billet gear Boundary oil pump today. If this pump holds up comparable to how it came packaged and presented, I would highly recommend this company. The price of this entire pump which comes fully blue printed with all clearances shown is $100 less than just TSS billet gears.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wow! Company issues a build data sheet. Thats awesome!

Boundary setting the pace for quality! Got my vote!

Wichers123

Reaction score
Very nice. I've been hearing a lot of good shit but idk there is a reason one cost much more. Material grade? Who knows. If I ever build another project it will be a 5.4 high comp na motor I'll use those.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Very nice. I've been hearing a lot of good shit but idk there is a reason one cost much more. Material grade? Who knows. If I ever build another project it will be a 5.4 high comp na motor I'll use those.

When I was asking Jim over @ CMS about it, he said that TSS was the first and only billet gear modular business in the game, and just haven't lowered their prices since they first came out. Now there is more competition and he hasn't even sold TSS stuff in the past 6 months. BTW, did you get those nozzles?

Wichers123

Reaction score
When I was asking Jim over @ CMS about it, he said that TSS was the first and only billet gear modular business in the game, and just haven't lowered their prices since they first came out. Now there is more competition and he hasn't even sold TSS stuff in the past 6 months. BTW, did you get those nozzles?
Yes I did thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online