My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Finally got a call from the machine shop today. Had to go .030 over due to the one cylinder wall. All the machine work is done, and started ordering the goods. Went with Diamond 19cc pistons and upgraded to H13 wrist pins. Also went with Total Seal AP steel rings. Diamond is 2 weeks wait for the 19cc pistons, so a little wait on them, but not a big deal. These pistons with 38cc Trick Flow heads should put me in the 9.9-10:1 CR range, which is what the goal is. So, what do you guys think about head gaskets? I was previously running Felpro 9790PT-2 and 9792PT-2 head gaskets, and never had any issues. Do you guys think that's a safe gasket to go with again? I was running 20 psi on my last blower setup with no issues, and will be running upwards of 20 psi on the new turbo setup.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That gasket is about the best you can get. Only draw back for us n/a guys is crushed thickness is nearly .050". Altering deck height or piston compression height to acquire desired squish distance....all about the build. Anyhow, that style gasket has tons of features Ford missed out on, so yea! Use that gasket! Also be sure to add in the crushed head gasket thickness in them static compression figures. And if you really want to get froggy, add in in the space around the piston above the top ring. Breaking it down into a science is sort of pointless if you ask me, builders do it though.

Excellent choice on the rings. Dang are they expensive! I too had my heart set on those for my diamond pistons. Sort of over kill for a 2v npi engine though. So I reused 100,000mile stock navigator stainless rings. Worked great and fell within my budget...lol.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
That gasket is about the best you can get. Only draw back for us n/a guys is crushed thickness is nearly .050". Altering deck height or piston compression height to acquire desired squish distance....all about the build. Anyhow, that style gasket has tons of features Ford missed out on, so yea! Use that gasket! Also be sure to add in the crushed head gasket thickness in them static compression figures. And if you really want to get froggy, add in in the space around the piston above the top ring. Breaking it down into a science is sort of pointless if you ask me, builders do it though.

Excellent choice on the rings. Dang are they expensive! I too had my heart set on those for my diamond pistons. Sort of over kill for a 2v npi engine though. So I reused 100,000mile stock navigator stainless rings. Worked great and fell within my budget...lol.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Tell me about being expensive. But when I discussed what my goals were for my build, and thought if I wanted to be in this position again in another five years, I figured it would be a good investment. Just for the pistons, upgraded H13 wrist pins, and the piston rings...its like $1,100 just for those parts...makes me cringe but I hope I'm happy with that setup and don't have issues.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
$1100 for pistons, pins and rings. Thats not to bad! My rotating assembly is going to run me around $3800. Granted im planning on a 1500-1800rwhp long block :)

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
$1100 for pistons, pins and rings. Thats not to bad! My rotating assembly is going to run me around $3800. Granted im planning on a 1500-1800rwhp long block :)

Tell my wife that $1,100 in 8 dome looking things and thin pieces of metal is cheap, let me know how you make out!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
haha but you are right. In the grand scheme on how these builds can go I can't complain

Isnt that the truth. The 96 i had went from a simple forged bottom end build when it first blew up, to a $18,000 aluminum longblock, single turbo, full fuel system/drivetrain build. Lol

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Isnt that the truth. The 96 i had went from a simple forged bottom end build when it first blew up, to a $18,000 aluminum longblock, single turbo, full fuel system/drivetrain build. Lol

It's a bad sickness I tell you. I probably had a good $20k or so into my first build blower build, we'll see how round 2 goes lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tell my wife that $1,100 in 8 dome looking things and thin pieces of metal is cheap, let me know how you make out!

You need to compare it to purses, shoes, or what ever other vice she has that has taken up the closet.... If that doesn't work then be a man, put yer foot down and say "pretty please honey?!" cause a mans gotta do what mans gotta do....

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
You need to compare it to purses, shoes, or what ever other vice she has that has taken up the closet.... If that doesn't work then be a man, put yer foot down and say "pretty please honey?!" cause a mans gotta do what mans gotta do....

Very nicely said

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its no wonder I am single but as long as my *****es food bowl is full she has never yet complained about my car parts. Wait actually that might not be true she does have a lot to say when the ups/fedex/usps dude shows up...

Reaction score
Are you gonna get a mad crazy blow off valve for le turbonium? I've been looking for a sn with a bov but haven't really seen what I'm looking for...

*weeeee* pshhh! *weeeee*

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Are you gonna get a mad crazy blow off valve for le turbonium? I've been looking for a sn with a bov but haven't really seen what I'm looking for...

*weeeee* pshhh! *weeeee*

Ehhh, I'll probably just play it safe and go with a name brand Tial or something. I run an auto so it really isn't as noticeable as you manual folk

Reaction score
lol this made me laugh, also...i couldnt find the meme i wanted...

e1840ec7b0806a611d4713da6902c193.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online