My Tow Rig-Lifted Diesel Excursion

ryclef331

Reaction score
After pushing 200k miles, I sold my trusty Dodge 3500. I've ALWAY had a sweet spot for Excursions...sepcifically the Limited and Eddie Bauers. I snagged this MINT 2004 in bone stock condition. Its got the time bomb 6.0L in it but I'm addressing the "problematic" areas already. So while cruising Craigslist, I stumbled on a guy who wanted to put his truck back to stock. Straight trade for his 8.5" ProComp Lift Wheels (which turned out not to fit) and Tires...I jumped on it. Aside from the buying the wheels, it was a freebie. Can't beat it. Other mods, Bulletproof External Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler, XDP Coolant Filter, and Edge CTS Monitor. Headsutds will happen when the truck needs it...gotta say, I miss that cummins motor but I love this truck.

408730436.jpg

408730437.jpg

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm a massive diesel freak haha so I have to say you picked the right year for the loud turbo! As for the "problems" start by doing an EGR delete and you won't really have to worry about head studs... I've been driving a 07 6.0 F250 for the past 2 months (it's my moms friends bbq companies main tow rig) and I have to say I have really fallen in love with the 6.0's over the 7.3's (which we own a 00 F350, and the old tow rig was an 02 F350). They make MUCH more power, are much more driver friendly, and ya know what? They warm up faster haha. The one I'm driving has an S&B intake, Banks Monster exhaust and an Edge Juice with attitude tuner/gauge setup. It's a monster alright. The excursions are the shit IMO. You get the diesel and the space of a monster SUV all in one. I was quite disappointed when the damned tree huggers put an end to the excursion....

Awesome looking truck man. You're gonna love that thing. And shit when all else fails... Should you blow that 6.0 up just drop a 5.9 in it, they make swap kits ;)

mavisky

Reaction score
Here's my old 2004. Ditched it after a couple years as it was starting to let me down mechanically. Had an SCT Livewire on it along with a filter kit and a muffler/cat delete setup.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Dude that thing is SWEET!! Like the color too! I've always liked an Excursion when they're done up right!!

RichV

Reaction score
7.3 FTW!

I know the 6.0 can be modded, but you gotta do it all. A buddy with a 08 did everything but the studs, when he added the tune he was lifting the heads. So in went the studs, and it's been problem free.

Love the Ex! We had a 01 with the 7.3PSD and currently have a 00 with the V10.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
7.3 FTW!

I know the 6.0 can be modded, but you gotta do it all. A buddy with a 08 did everything but the studs, when he added the tune he was lifting the heads. So in went the studs, and it's been problem free.

Love the Ex! We had a 01 with the 7.3PSD and currently have a 00 with the V10.

Haha Rich he's got a 6.0 buddy :) I love our 7.3 too it's baaadass. And your buddy has a 6.4 if it's 08 hahaha!

But how are you liking that v10 man? I know it's modular but damn milage must be tough

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

410sn95

Reaction score
Nice rig.

Have a 6.0 diesel as well. I did the head studs before it blew, suggest you do the same. WAYYYYY cheaper in the long run. Also suggest doing it cab off, its not that bad.

Then go get a custom stud tune (IDP, Quicktricks, Gearhead) its kinda fun ;)

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That thing is bigger than my apartment.... On a seriou note that's a great looking truck. I've got a buddy with a 6.0 and when you are knowledgable and take care of them the 6.0 is a good motor. Seems like you know your stuff! Good find with the free mods too

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm a massive diesel freak haha so I have to say you picked the right year for the loud turbo! As for the "problems" start by doing an EGR delete and you won't really have to worry about head studs... I've been driving a 07 6.0 F250 for the past 2 months (it's my moms friends bbq companies main tow rig) and I have to say I have really fallen in love with the 6.0's over the 7.3's (which we own a 00 F350, and the old tow rig was an 02 F350). They make MUCH more power, are much more driver friendly, and ya know what? They warm up faster haha. The one I'm driving has an S&B intake, Banks Monster exhaust and an Edge Juice with attitude tuner/gauge setup. It's a monster alright. The excursions are the shit IMO. You get the diesel and the space of a monster SUV all in one. I was quite disappointed when the damned tree huggers put an end to the excursion....

Awesome looking truck man. You're gonna love that thing. And shit when all else fails... Should you blow that 6.0 up just drop a 5.9 in it, they make swap kits ;)

I put the Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler in. Lifetime warranty on that and their external oil cooler eliminates the primary cause of the EGR cooler fail (lack of coolant flow TO the EGR b/c the Oil Cooler Clogged). It really is a vicious cycle with these things and short of doing the studs, I've addressed all of them. Head studs may come soon after I return from this deployment. We shall see. I've looked in the Cummins swap kits but I haven't heard the best things about the transmission controllers for the 5R110 transmission and I've already dumped a substantial amount of money into this 6.0. Trust me, I would love to have a 5.9 in this thing but financially, I'm already in deep so I'll just stick with it. I would love to drive around with my Ford truck powered by a "Dodge" motor while it tows my Ford Mustang that is powered by a Chevy motor.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats a badass truck man. I see in your sig you got a 83 Benz 300CD, BAGGED?! Got any pics of it?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Wow.. Thats a badass truck man. I see in your sig you got a 83 Benz 300CD, BAGGED?! Got any pics of it?

That is a work in progress. I'm actually still overseas and I had my friend go snag it. I've got everything TO bag it, just a matter of getting back to the states, finding a weekend when I'm finally settled in, closing the shop doors, getting some beer, and firing up the welder. I will post pics for sure when I'm done. Its a sweet little benz though. Previous owner did euro bumpers (smaller cleaner) and a manual conversion on it. Needs a couple small things address. I have some pretty trick ideas for it up my sleeve. Just wanted a cheap, cool, fun, daily beater and this will fit the bill. The kit I've pieced together is twin ViAir 480 Compressors, 10 gallon tank, manual paddle valves, airlift bags, ViAir dual needle pressure gauges, and 17x8 Dayton 100 spoke wires.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
That is a work in progress. I'm actually still overseas and I had my friend go snag it. I've got everything TO bag it, just a matter of getting back to the states, finding a weekend when I'm finally settled in, closing the shop doors, getting some beer, and firing up the welder. I will post pics for sure when I'm done. Its a sweet little benz though. Previous owner did euro bumpers (smaller cleaner) and a manual conversion on it. Needs a couple small things address. I have some pretty trick ideas for it up my sleeve. Just wanted a cheap, cool, fun, daily beater and this will fit the bill. The kit I've pieced together is twin ViAir 480 Compressors, 10 gallon tank, manual paddle valves, airlift bags, ViAir dual needle pressure gauges, and 17x8 Dayton 100 spoke wires.

Ah cool man sounds awesome. I love Benzes, especially older ones. When you get to workin on it you need a build thread here! haha

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Omg I love excursions my dad had a triple black 7.3 excursion I love these things , once the thighs that need to be done are taken care of They're Bullet proof

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online