My Vortech powered 4v 98 GT Drift mustang build thread

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
So its been awhile since ive updated the build thread.

Took the car to irwindale again last month and had the steering rack finally give out. Its the OEM rack that has been on this car since day 1. So i was was waiting for this day to come. I pulled the rack and sent it out to a shop that rebuilds the racks for the shops Pro cars.

So that is good to go. Found another issue though

Seems this tierod setup just isnt holding up, The outer hiem is also bent as usual and they tend to have alot of play in the bearing as well. So it was time to revamp this stuff to something that isnt gonna bend or have play.
So we took some Wisefab rod ends we use on the shops 240 and gen coupe and i extended the tierods with some DOM tubing.

The other issue i wanted to clean up was this nasty wheel flop i have at full lock.

So i did some notching on the center hole on the shock tower to move the caster more forward. The reason i had to notch it was because i flipped the MM plates around backwards to get more forward caster out of it.

I set the camber full positive on the plates and dialed in some negative camber at the actual shock mounting point.
So this will clean that up nicely now at full lock. Itll require more driver input on the wheel but that is the challenge in drifting car.

Also fitted up with some 295/40/18's on the back. These tires kick ass on our Pro cars so i cant wait to run these for Top drift this upcoming season.

Most recent took the car out to a Carshow/dyno day at GTR last weekend.

I picked up some new goodies and will be posting them soon. Stay tuned. Thanks!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice ! This has to be my favourite build on the page these days . Glad you got the steering all figured out looks like the car works really well . Good job dude

Reaction score
great build man who would have guessed mustangs double as fog machines!! it sucks that every page brings a new set of problems , i guess that is just proof that drifting beats the tits out of the equipment. I saw you were having tons of trouble with tie rods ? Do you have lock stops on it to keep from hitting tie rod and if it does that it will bottom out the rack. If you were able to modify the gears in the rack to adjust the geometry or hell see if you can get some teins to fit and if they don't, make them, throw em in a lathe. Obviously not telling you anything you don't already know but i have a degree in physics that makes me aggravate people with modified geometry especially when i see recurring issues like that.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Been awhile since ive updated. Been working on the roll cage for this upcoming season of top drift. Here is the progress so far.

Mocking up the new sparco pro circuit 2 seat position

Need to finish clean up and prep for paint next. The color setup is gonna stand out very nice. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Finished up the roll cage and interior last week finally. Painted the cage a metallic dark steel and the rest of the interior gloss black. Also added positioned and installed my new sparco seat and sparco 5 pt harnesses along with some other details to the interior.

Also did some fun stuff as well making some videos and getting some pictures. No worries this was a closed off lot a friend of mine owns and allowed us to do some activities.

And fireballs lol!

robskw

Reaction score
Wow!!Awesome car!!! Congratzz Though a SN95 Drift car was hard/almost impossible to do but u convinced me, Awesome project buddy!! I am at drifting too but I use a 350z for that.. Keep us posted, do you have a youtube channel with vids of the car?

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
So ive been busy for awhile, i got a new angle kit for the car i installed 2 weeks ago just in time for Top Drift Pro am rd1 this past weekend at Willow Springs balcony course.

Lets just say we got the front end angle down now and it worked flawless and there is still more room for improvment on caster for the lead wheel at lock.

So i had a rough weekend though at the same time. Electrical issues after my first run. Lost my fuel pumps and fans. We were able to fix it thanks to my crew and friends. Unfortunately we lost some seat time. I was also fight the suspension as well, being the spring rates. The new angle kit does not allow use of a front sway bar so i basically was on 350lb front spring and the 500lb TA rear spring with my revalved bilstiens. This setup proved to be hard to drive. I didnt havent sufficient seat time to pull it together by qualifying. My 1st qualifying run i spun after the transition, throwing it to hard basically and on the 2nd run i had a nice backwards entry and on the transition going toward the hairpin this run was looking good until i missed 2nd gear on the down shift, thought i clicked it in basically and straightened which resulted in a zero. Wasnt the best idea going into this weekend to shake the car down but i didnt have a choice with the time crunch i was given. Either way i made the best of it, learned some things and have some new custom coilovers we are building via Feal Suspension.

Enjoy the pix

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Always enjoy reading your technical posts. Thanks for the pics and share, good luck getting her dialed in!

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
So I did a little something last night. Installed some long awaited Feal Suspension 441 Coilovers custom built for my car. Testing this week.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Well this past thursday i went to irwindale for some seat time and testing on the new coilovers which started off great and ended on a bad note. They were great. But i got to comfortable and started getting to aggressive especially going at the banks. I was doing good and i took a bad line and went up into the concrete wall about 50-60 mph and pretty much totaled the car. Thankfully for the safety equipment and the precautions we took building the car from a chassis strengthening point the car took the hard hit really well for the most part and kept me safe. I started tearing down the car to start looking over the chassis and it is totaled. The axle is bent on both sides, bowed really bad as is the PHB, the rear frame is moved alot as you will see in the pix, the subframe is twisted and the shock tower moved as well. The wheel intrusion bar on the passenger side kept the wheel from destroying the firewall. It sucks but that is part of the game, crashes can happen especially when you push those limits, I have no regrets. Already moving on to the next chassis ive located which i will be starting a build thread for soon after i tear this one down. I will be right back out there again real soon. Thanks for following this build and if liked this one you should already know my next one will be even better.

Link to the video of the crash
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDrtXhcGFlE/

Wheels intrusion bar said denied lol

This picture shows everything, take a good look at everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online