Name that sound!

Silversn95

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have an odd rattle sound coming from the engine on my 94 5.0 and having a hard time figuring out what it might be. For some background info, the mustang has 168,000kms. Engine has never been torn down by me, owner the last 15 yrs but I do not know the history before I bought it. I suspect one of the previous owners added nitro at some point since the throttle body has a hole drilled in it were the clean air duct attaches to the housing.
The engine also suffers from pinging if I don't pull the timing back to at least 8 BTDC, even on 91 octane fuel. Not sure any of this explains the rattle sound.
Regarding the sound, this is the odd part, I only hear it when the engine is at operating temp. At cold start, no rattle can be heard. I have fulled the plug wires in sequence while running to see if the sound changes and there was no change when any of the plug wires were disconnected. I have also removed the front drive belt to see if it might be a pulley but other than finding out my power steering pump and idler pulley are noisy, it had no effect on the rattle sound. Actually made it more clear to hear it without the accessories running.

Things that have been changes over the last couple years:
1. water pump/ thermostat
2. HB - original had separated. Current one still looks good.
3. EGR valve. Changed to see if it would stop the pinging... it did not.
4. had to change a couple leaking fuel injectors but this was over 10 yrs ago.

I have a video but do not know how to post it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If youre using your phone download tapatalk and upload the video straight from your phone to the site or you can post it to youtube and post the link in your post.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like a muffler bearing going bad................. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Silversn95

Silversn95

Reaction score
If youre using your phone download tapatalk and upload the video straight from your phone to the site or you can post it to youtube and post the link in your post.
Ok. Let's see if this works. Had to cut it short due to file size. If I had to describe the rattle it is similar to the clatter you hear from a diesel engine. Only does it at idle. Do not year it when revving the engine or on the road when accelerating/cruising.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b1aef4ece612/20180608_154817.mp4

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
The only thing I can really hear in the video is that loud buzzing type sound, sorry. Ill try listening again.

Edit: I put headphones on and tried listening again and sure enough I can hear it now. I would check for exhaust leaks, vacuum reading and when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
get a mechanics' stethoscope or a long screwdriver and put the metal end on things. listen to see where it is coming from. you can narrow it down alot by doing that. the steth is not expensive at all and really helps in these situations. sounds like the valves need to be adjusted, but injectors will make that sound and also exhaust leaks can make a ticking sound. best bet, again, listen for it using help from the scope of the long screwdriver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.