Need 331 swap advice

Phatboy

Reaction score
Howdy. So I got my engine back from the ex today Woot! I have a few questions. This is replacing the stock 5.0 in my 95 GT.

Its a fully built 331 stroker from Coast High Performance.

It is based on the fox 5.0 block.

1. It has a trickflow upper intake with a 70mm BBK Throttle body. Should I switch to this setup or stay with the SN style TB? Ok, staying with the fox style, upgrading to a 90mm because I was told the 70 might limit my top end power? True?

2. It has a fox style distributor with the TFI on the dist. Can I swap this and use my SN style TFI and distributor? Staying with the SN style. Thanks

3. Since its just a bored and stroked 302 shouldnt all my accessories fit right back on the 331? Got my answer here, thanks. Use my timing cover adn water pump!

4. Will 30# injectors be enough or should I go with a larger injector? Engine mods listed below...Gonna wait till its in and getting tuned to decide on this. 30s will get her started.

5. Is an electric water pump a good idea, or just go with my stock and swap it over? Stock

6. Will a canton 7qt oil pan work on the SN, and if NO, can I use my stocker? Can anyone answer this one for me?

7. Will I need aftermarket fuel rails or can I use the stock ones from my car? Same as injectors, gonna wait till tuning time.

8. Will I need an AFPR? ​See pics below?

ENGINE SPECS:
Dished probe SRS forged pistons
Probe 4340 forged Hbeam rods
Scat 4340 forged crank
Main girdle, and windage tray
Canton 7qt oil pan
Ford racing SFI balancer
Billet flywheel
Edelbrock Performer heads 2.02/1.60 valves
Trick flow stage 2 cam
Trick flow track heat upper/lower intake with phenolic spacer
70mm BBK Fox style throttle body
Melling high volume oil pump
Scorpion 1.6 rockers
All ARP hardware
30lb Ford Racing injectors

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
Thank you in advance to anyone who read all that and is willing to help this newb figure all this out!

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Use all your sn95 suff.. Everything will swap over.. You'll need the elbow for the tb.. If you want to keep the fox style tb. You will need to switch a few things over to foxbody.
Fuel rails from your SN will be fine.. 30 should work. Use distributor from you're SN.
Use your brakets and accessories.. You need to have a water pump for the sn too.. Or electric if you want. Have no input on the electric pump I'm too cheap to spend money on that..

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
I want to keep the fox TB, so I will research that swap. Ive seen a writup on here somewhere.

If the stock water pump will work fine then I will use that. I need to save money where I can. Thanks.

Reaction score
I want to keep the fox TB, so I will research that swap. Ive seen a writup on here somewhere. If the stock water pump will work fine then I will use that. I need to save money where I can. Thanks.
Timing covers are different from fox to sn. Make sure you check before dropping in the motor. Other than that retain all sn95 brackets accessories. Save a huge headache trust me I just went through this

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The stock water pump will work fine just not the one on there ... You need to use ur water pump and timing cover off ur engine if you planned on using ur accessories

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks, and keep it coming. lol

Is there a good write-up anywhere with pics for how to do the Fox TB conversion?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yes /\/\/\timing cover.. There is a write up on here somewhere on tb swap.. I would strip it to a long block and swap every thing over from one to the other..

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
That is basically teh plan RZ, only I want to keep the 70mm throttle body and the trick flow upper and lower intake.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea you need to add a few sensors from the lower intake manifold to the new motor the oil pressure sensor is diff too not sure if ur running after market Gauges or not

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
I am not yet running aftermarket gauges but I will be running:

coolant temp
oil pres
vacuum
A/F ratio

I saw the coolant temp sensor on the trick flow manifold, but I didnt see the coolant temp GAUGE sensor.

I also noticed the oil pressure sensor looked funny on the 331, but not too worried about that.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
The sending unit is on the lower intake.. The sensor is on the heater tubes that will be coming off your car.. You can reuse the intake just fine.. Just plug the hole were the fox runs the iat sensor..

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
A few more questions with pics.

Whats this?

Back of engine, what are the ports circled in red?

Front of engine whats the third port for? I understand the coolant temp sender, and gauge sensor.

AFPR I assume, anyone have a shot at a brand? Its just blank all over. Reuse or toss?

Oil pressure sender?

I dont remember the pully on my SN looking like this(deep), but if I use all my accessories then it wont matter right?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Your wasting money on a 90mm.. Id stick with what ever size the opening of the intake is. Stock fuel lines are fine.. Unless your going FI i use the stock regulator. One of the circles is the sending unit. The other one is the iat. On the back looks like they used a mechanical gauge for temp.. It also looks like they deleted heater.. Just plug the one close to the fpr. Add your heater tubes on top of the intake by the t stat housing.. Every you need will swap over..
Make sure to run the pcv don't leave that tape there.

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
Thanks again RZ.

What about that first picture. The hole in teh side of the block?

Addermk2

Reaction score
Whats this?
Factory dipstick hole. You need to plug it.

Back of engine, what are the ports circled in red?
Unused coolant ports. great places to mount aftermarket gauge sending units.

Front of engine whats the third port for? I understand the coolant temp sender, and gauge sensor.
The circled one is where your coolant hard line hooks in for the heater core hoses. Bottom arrow is for the fan IIRC. Top arrow is a ACT sensor. Thats a fox location. remove it and plug with a 3/8 NPT plug wrapped in teflon tape.

AFPR I assume, anyone have a shot at a brand? Its just blank all over. Reuse or toss?

98% sure that is a Kirban AFPR. Kinda look like 30# injectors too.
Oil pressure sender?

Yup, gotta swap yours on though. wrong unit for an SN.

I dont remember the pully on my SN looking like this(deep)

Thats because it isnt. Looks like a professional Products balancer. The spacer will likely need to be replaced, and you swap on your crank pulley (timing cover, water pump... etc etc)

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Adder. Yes the injectors are 30lb ones. Do you agree that running the stock rails and FPR should be ok with this engine? The balancer was described to me as an SFI unit, but Im not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online