need a good write up on setting up a rear end/gear install.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I decided to air on the side of caution and rebuild my rear end with new bearings. I want to be sure the rear end is set up correctly as far as tolerances before I take it all apart and if it is correct I can just put everything back in the way it came out. I am redoing the pinon and differential bearings. I can get all the tools I need as far as measuring for tolerances but the only thing I don't have is a press but I know someone that does.

So what I am looking for is a good write up on what the tolerances are and the proper way to check them and a good write up on taking everything out of the rear and and reassembly. Any link or info for such information would be of a great help.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Taking measurements before disassembly for reference is a waste of time unless it's a training thing.The tolerances at assembly will be tighter than at disassembly due to wear.There are also special tools needed to set pinion depth and back lash.If your only doing axle bearings and not a total rebuild, you'll be fine doing it your self. But if your doing a full rebuild too, then it's best left to a professional.

Venomized

Reaction score
Are you putting new gears in as well? If not you dont really have to worry about it. The new bearings wont change the tolerances by much if any. Just make sure all your races are set flush and you emery cloth the seats of all of them to take away any build up or burrs.

I have set up a few rear ends (changing gears and all) If you have a set of calipers and a magnetic base dial indicator then your set. Oh and a dead blow hammer.

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. No I'm not doing new gears just replacing the bearings. The only reason I wanted to check things before Han was to see if anything seemed really out of spec. My rear end should not have gone out on me this quick. I went to replace the pinion seal and there is 0 preload on the rear end. Hence the rebuild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online