Need a new belt size...

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
So I am only able to get half that bolt out that snapped off for my Smog pump. The rest is so deep in there I can't get it out with anything. So I asked around town and all they check for for emissions visually is that you have cats. They don't check for a smog pump.

So I am going to yank it and grind down the bracket as if it was never there.

My Only hang up is I need a new belt now. I have a brand new good year gatorback I got off LMR. Can I bring this to Autozone or NAPA and get the correct size in exchange for my other one with no receipt?

Also, is this the correct size belt I need? Has anyone ever don't the setup with no smog pump with this sized belt? I'd hate to get a new belt and find out it's the wrong size..
Dn4UNK3.jpg

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Mikestang95

Reaction score
I used that diagram as a base to start but ended up having to go smaller because of UD pulleys. I also got rid of my A/C as well.

As far as exchanging it with no receipt unless you know the counter guy I would say probably not just because it wasn't bought there to begin with.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
As Mike said, you're pretty mush stuck with the belt unless AM will accept it back.
I bypassed my smog pmp and used a 91" belt.
You can buy 2 or 3 then take back the ones that you don't use.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
There not gonna take that belt back since its not from them. You could keep the brand new belt you have, and just pick up a smog pump delete pulley.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I used that diagram as a base to start but ended up having to go smaller because of UD pulleys. I also got rid of my A/C as well.

As far as exchanging it with no receipt unless you know the counter guy I would say probably not just because it wasn't bought there to begin with.
I have stock pulleys. I thought the pulleys kept the same belt length and just changed the ratio of them?

As Mike said, you're pretty mush stuck with the belt unless AM will accept it back.
I bypassed my smog pmp and used a 91" belt.
You can buy 2 or 3 then take back the ones that you don't use.
It wasn't AM it was LMR. I figured I've returned things before to Autozone that I paid cash for and had no receipt so they wouldn't of known if I bought it there or not.. And I'm pretty sure they carry good year gatorbacks.

So you used a belt that was 0.8" bigger than that diagram suggests? Hm that's why I made the thread... Figured there would be differences.

There not gonna take that belt back since its not from them. You could keep the brand new belt you have, and just pick up a smog pump delete pulley.
Negative. Delete uses the same 2 bolts the pump does. So I'd pay what, $40-$50 for a smog pump delete, only to still have the problem with the broken off bolt inside the bracket. Or I could spend $20 or so on a different sized belt, or get one for free if I can return the other one. And then have my buddy grind down my bracket and re clear coat it...
Kind of a no brainer even if the bolt wasn't an issue. Lol

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh i forgot lol. So just go to autozone tell them the car doesn't have a smog pump and the belt should be a couple inches smaller.

RichV

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on them not checking for a pump. Your luck specially. I know they should be checking for cats and smog/egr. Is the pump still intact? Can you get the test done, then delete it?

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on them not checking for a pump. Your luck specially. I know they should be checking for cats and smog/egr. Is the pump still intact? Can you get the test done, then delete it?

The only reason I'm deleting it is because of the snapped bolt. I couldn't give a shit about the half a horse power I'd gain without the drag of the pump. If it was up to me the pump would go back in with a new pulley and I'd be done with it (the pulley on it was chewed up from the radiator overflow being pushed into it in the accident)

My options are:
I pull the smog, pull my alternator (it's being replaced anyways so this isn't any extra work), pull the bracket off, grind the bracket down to remove the smog part of it, reinstall the bracket and alternator, go get a shorter belt.
Or
Pull all of it out, find a new bracket (probably gonna be like $100+ shipped.. No local ones..), then find a new smog pump bolt and button it all back up, use the new belt I have.

Mikestang95

Reaction score
I have stock pulleys. I thought the pulleys kept the same belt length and just changed the ratio of them?

So did I but after 6 trips to NAPA I have a hard time believing that. I also kept my stock ALT pulley when I swapped a different alternator in.

This car has been a headache since I got it, I should've waited and found an semi-unmolested one so I didn't have any other people hack jobs in there

piester

Reaction score
run a piece of ribbon or string around the pulleys how you want to run them. measure it. subtract an inch (to compensate for the tensioner) and go get that length belt. super easy and a lot nicer than buying a bunch and having to return them. should put the tensioner on the tighter side of half way. also if you are having a problem finding a belt that will fit perfect then get the tighter one and a new pulley for your tensioner and use it for an idler pulley. if done that on a few cars, mostly ones with underdrive pulleys. still has great tension on the alt and ps pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online