Need advice: 2002 GT with 4v swap

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Hey everyone, working on my project and I feel I’m at a crossroads. Have a 2002 gt vert, bought as a project woth no engine/transmission etc. Found a 97 cobra salvage with good engine (180 psi on every cylinder). Ended up purchasing everything for a c head swap as well, 03 aviator heads, cobra intake, throttle cable valve covers etc. Was going to have the heads redone, swap them on, new timing components, etc. I’m wondering, give. I’m already swapping a motor from something not original, am I making it harder by doing a c head swap at the time? Should I just swap in the 97 cobra engine as is (changing to COP) and get it running then do the head swap after? I’m guessing it will be a hell of a lot harder to do the c head swap when it’s in the car then when it’s out. What would you guys do? Thanks!

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Its going to be a pain to swap it all in the car. It isn't going to make it any more difficult to swap the c heads with the motor out of the car. Do you have an intake? You'll need one. What wiring harness are you going to use? The one from the 02 I assume? I assume that's the reason you'll go COP. The right choice depends on 3 things. How much money you have, how much time you have, and your level of mechanical know how.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Have the cobra intake manifold for the c heads. Using the 2002 wiring harness. I have medium money, not a lot of time (if it takes a while that’s fine, totally a side project car), and medium mechanical know how (head swaps and timing I’m comfortable with).

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Swap it all then imo. Now I'm not sure if there are any harness differences or not. That you'll have to research a bit.

OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to pull the cams from the 97 cobra heads. Makes sense. I’ll just send it. Once complete, do I need to tune it before starting? Is the stock 2002 ecu going to run lean?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
That I'm not sure of. Its going to need a tune for sure but as far as just starting it I dont know

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The car should run really good on the stock tune assuming youll be using the same 19lb njectors from the 2v.

OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
I was going to use the stock cobra injectors from the 1997 which are 24lb

07GtS197

Reaction score
You’ll need cop’s for 4v heads and then you’ll have to swap pins because they’re reverse polarity from the 2v cop’s. A tune and gears will go a long way to waken that 4v up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Diesledogpi

Reaction score
You’ll need cop’s for 4v heads and then you’ll have to swap pins because they’re reverse polarity from the 2v cop’s. A tune and gears will go a long way to waken that 4v up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense with the cops. I have a list of stuff that needs to be changed for the wiring harness. Def planning on 4.10 gears and a tune. Can’t wait to get back to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.