Need advice on my new to me 04 GT with Bolt ons.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
It could have been that the cats were clogged up. You can you tube how to load tunes to a diablosport predator and some videos come up. You will need a program called DSDownloader. I will try to find a link. With your cable, when you plug it in to the computer at the bottom does it say that the cable is ready to use? Also, do you have a power source for your predator?

I do have the power cable for the predator!

The computer did search for drivers for the cable last night so I think it will work... I assume

Thanks for the help this is awesome!! Also yes clogged cats are a possibility and I think the car also had 87 octane in the tank.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the 87 octane. I ran it in mine until I tore it down for the build and my mod list was similar to yours.
Anyway, that pdf should get you in the right direction. I remember it being kind of tricky to figure out but once you get it right, its really easy to understand.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Sounds weird that an old mustang fanatic would have cams installed yet put a canned diablo tune on it. Hope you get it sorted but sounds like you are getting some great advice. Post up some pics!

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Ok files are sent to Willie. Awaiting my DirtyDirtyracing tune!

What is a good but safe redline for my mods? 6250-6500?

Also talking to trick flow about their 185 heads. Trying to pick the right cc's. Any advice on heads? Looking into heads and headers next.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Also my cam specs:
Crower Stage 2 Hot Street Profile
[email protected] Lift: 208/212 RR 1.8/1.8 Gross Lift .559/.570 LSA 114 RPM Range 1250-6000 Redline 6500

Comments? Ive read a few threads where people also called these sleeper cams, or very mild for stage 2

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Also my cam specs:
Crower Stage 2 Hot Street Profile
[email protected] Lift: 208/212 RR 1.8/1.8 Gross Lift .559/.570 LSA 114 RPM Range 1250-6000 Redline 6500

Comments? Ive read a few threads where people also called these sleeper cams, or very mild for stage 2

How far are you wanting to take this car, and what is your end goal for it?

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
350whp high 12's (12.7's) at 107ish and I'll be happy. I think the heads and headers are all I'm really missing, and If I need better cams to make the numbers then I'll do them.

Just discovered with Willie that the car currently does not have a tune loaded at all. LOL. So this is also why it feels a bit off. Sounds to me like the tune file might have failed when previous owner loaded it or he did not load it correctly. Hard to say. But its not tuned right now. I think I could shift it to a 13.5 at over 100mph as it sits :p

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I'll just do N/A

Ok then go with the 38cc head and get that compression up. There is a guy here, [MENTION=14880]03DSGGT[/MENTION] , that has a similar setup with those heads. He makes great power and his car is quick. He might be able to help out a little bit.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Ok then go with the 38cc head and get that compression up. There is a guy here, 03DSGGT , that has a similar setup with those heads. He makes great power and his car is quick. He might be able to help out a little bit.

Good to know.

More excitement with the car, we were able to determine that no tune was actually loaded to the car. So I loaded up the Diable canned tune, and it went straight to loading the tune and I do not believe it saved a copy of the original. GREAT!!!! :(

So dealing with that now, but will be getting an SCT tuner from Willie with his tune.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Oh yeah and pretty noticeable difference even just with the diablo tune. I have hanging revs tho, so I think I need to adjust the EGR parameter because I think it has been removed from the car.. no time to check most of this above tom foolery was taking place over my lunch hour :)

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was pretty positive that as soon as you load a tune from the diablo, it backs up the original file. I might be wrong though. I gave up on the handheld stuff and built a megasquirt stand alone for my car lol.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Trick flow heads need trick flow head specific cams. The exhaust valve being reversed puts the exhaust lobe timing events out of spec when normal inline valve cams are used. We're talking 50rwhp! This is why some are only extracting 350rwhp when it should be 400rwhp. Their is a popular hotrod issue with the swap, check into it.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Trick flow heads need trick flow head specific cams. The exhaust valve being reversed puts the exhaust lobe timing events out of spec when normal inline valve cams are used. We're talking 50rwhp! This is why some are only extracting 350rwhp when it should be 400rwhp. Their is a popular hotrod issue with the swap, check into it.

I forgot got all about you telling me that. I'm pretty sure I've still got the link to that article. I will see if I can locate the link you send me.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had MHS stage 3 TFS specific cams in my car a few years back. They were degreed and the car made 325/325 at the wheels. This was with an NPI bottom end that had 11.3:1 compression. I took them out and put a set of Jims (CMS) stage 3 shelf cams in it not degreed and went back to the stock bottom end (roughly 10.3:1) and picked up 25rwhp/23rwtq. That was with losing a full point of compression. When I bought the TFS heads, I was running a set of CMS stage 2.5 cams and made 330rwhp. So the bigger TFS specific stage 3 cams lost me 5rwhp, and going to a slightly larger CMS stage 3 cam gained me 25rwhp, with the compression loss, so I really don't know what to think about the TFS specific grind cams. I mean on paper it seems really legit, but having experienced a TFS cam myself, all that it did was lose me power...

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Hmm really good to know. Can I run another brand of heads with my trick flow manifold? I just figured id keep it matching. Not sure if im keeping these crower cams yet. Need to see if Willie's tune brings out the lope at idle.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Really wish this car had some more jam to it... Another 60whp and I might be satisfied but that might be hard to get with heads and headers which is all im really missing right now.

how do these engines do with a procharger on stock heads...