Need advice on my new to me 04 GT with Bolt ons.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had MHS stage 3 TFS specific cams in my car a few years back. They were degreed and the car made 325/325 at the wheels. This was with an NPI bottom end that had 11.3:1 compression. I took them out and put a set of Jims (CMS) stage 3 shelf cams in it not degreed and went back to the stock bottom end (roughly 10.3:1) and picked up 25rwhp/23rwtq. That was with losing a full point of compression. When I bought the TFS heads, I was running a set of CMS stage 2.5 cams and made 330rwhp. So the bigger TFS specific stage 3 cams lost me 5rwhp, and going to a slightly larger CMS stage 3 cam gained me 25rwhp, with the compression loss, so I really don't know what to think about the TFS specific grind cams. I mean on paper it seems really legit, but having experienced a TFS cam myself, all that it did was lose me power...
Alot of variables play here. I see were you are coming from and raises questions. Sounds like early discovery of cam profiles.

This would be tough to crack on paper all because cam companies guard actual valve timing events under .050".

Long story short, tfs cams had it at the get go. Im sure these other guys have it spot on now and do really well.

Now....lets get some actual cam specs. Non of this .050" BS

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to talk to Jim @ CMS and have a set of cams made with the same exact specs as I'm running now with the reversed love, just to get an apples to apples comparison...

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ that's a very good article, and makes complete sense. So I guess that I'll be looking into a new set of cams once I get the Teksid built...

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Good banter with the heads and cams here guys. I'm still trying to figure out if I can run any other heads with the trick flow manifolds...

The price of heads and headers and the fact that I may want bigger cams... is making me consider FI.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Good banter with the heads and cams here guys. I'm still trying to figure out if I can run any other heads with the trick flow manifolds...

The price of heads and headers and the fact that I may want bigger cams... is making me consider FI.

The trick flow intake will work on any of the pi heads. There are other things to consider with that intake, like the throttle and cruise cables for instance. That manifold requires them to be longer.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
The trick flow intake will work on any of the pi heads. There are other things to consider with that intake, like the throttle and cruise cables for instance. That manifold requires them to be longer.

So unless the previous owner changed that throttle cable, then my TB may not be opening all the way .... ?? Priceless.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So unless the previous owner changed that throttle cable, then my TB may not be opening all the way .... ?? Priceless.

I don't think that's the case. Im pretty sure that the stock cables don't reach the throttle body at all. I wasn't aware that you already had the intake on there.

OP
OP
D

Dub Jones

Reaction score
Well I've had the car for a week. I think my first post mentioned that this car felt choked. Over the weekend I decided to pick up a new BBK cone filter for the CAI which has the filter up in the fender. You guys know where I am going with this... I get down there, holy crap! I have never ever seen anything like this. I will get a picture up. I have a receipt from 2007 for this intake... the airfilter was undoubtedly the original. I have never seen a filter so CAKED with dirt. I threw on the new filter and WHAM.... this car is driveable.

Discoveries to date:
Tank 1/4 full of old 87 octane gas from last year
No Tune loaded to the car
Two Collapsed cats
Dirtiest airfilter I have ever seen.. no way it could breath.

So now that I am picking out these basics, the car is coming alive. Tune from Dirty Dirty Racing gets loaded up tonight and I am hitting the rollers next Monday for a dyno session.

Next on my list is fuel filter.

Any other basics you guys would suggest looking at. Car is very low mileage... But I may do spark plugs as well.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Have you done anything about those cats? Those things will cause problems too, I would opt for an off road mid pipe if you can.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
After that I would just say, do the fuel filter, spark plugs, load the tune and strap it down. Then post the numbers back here of course lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online