Need advice on stroker motor for 10psi blower!

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
Ok guys as im sure most of you know I just bought a Paxton Novi Supercharger which I want to install on my car. I will be running 10psi but I will need to build a new motor in order to do so, b/c the one I currently has 163k on it. It runs well but I dont even think I want to put my 5psi pulley on the car. SO that being said, Im getting a second job and buying a stroker kit, some heads, cam, upper & lower intake and a new T5 tranny here within the next couple of months if not sooner. Now as far as which stroker to go with Im not sure between a 331 & 347 im thinking. I want to get the max out of the stock short block, say 499hp @ the crank, & about 400hp /400trq to the tires. So now comes the park where I ask for you guys experiences & advice on which to go with and the right combo, etc. If I can go with a smaller stroker running 10psi let me know b/c I think its 1psi=10+hp with my blower, so Im gussing between 100-150hp/trq. Heres a list of mods i want, you guys fill in the blanks with your thoughts and ideas.

Motor rebuild comp. to about 9:1 for blower application
331 or 347 Forged Stroker Kit
AFR 185cc Heads
Twisted Wedge or Trickflow Upper & Lower Intake
Cam?
T5 Tranny
3.73 rearend

Suggestions please???? :help2:

Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
A stroker with 10lbs of boost is going to put out ALOT more power than that. If you want 400 and 400 at the wheels, you don't need a stroker. A 306 will do it. TAKE IT FROM ME! Putting forged stroker bottom end in a stock block was the dumbest thing I've ever done. PERIOD. Don't waste the money. You'd have a top end, bottom end, and a blower that COULD push high 600hp if not more all running on a block that can't go over 450rwhp with out splitting. Its stupid. 306, same everything else, and a blower. Not getting a dart block to begin with is my number 1 regret.

OP
OP
I

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
A stroker with 10lbs of boost is going to put out ALOT more power than that. If you want 400 and 400 at the wheels, you don't need a stroker. A 306 will do it. TAKE IT FROM ME! Putting forged stroker bottom end in a stock block was the dumbest thing I've ever done. PERIOD. Don't waste the money. You'd have a top end, bottom end, and a blower that COULD push high 600hp if not more all running on a block that can't go over 450rwhp with out splitting. Its stupid. 306, same everything else, and a blower. Not getting a dart block to begin with is my number 1 regret.

Cool. I've been told that by some guys who build motors. I still need 9:1 compression though right? Surely you dont mean stock everything just rebuild the block. I wont need a better set of heads, cam & upper/lower intake? And will it need to be forged internals on the 306? Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stock block bored .030" over to make it a 306. FORGED pistons. You can probably get away with stock rods reconditioned but if you don't feel safe, pick up a set of H-beams. Stock crank is fine. Heads cam and intake definetly NOT stock. There is alot of ways you can go there. I was just commenting on the fact you wanted to stroke AND boost a stock short block just to make 400 rwhp.

OP
OP
I

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
Just 400wrhp? I dont know many ricers or street cars that can run mid low 12's?

ryclef331

Reaction score
ICEMAN330824 said:

Damn...where do you live? Cars must be alot slower in Louisiana

ryclef331

Reaction score
95KBGT said:

Putting a 331 in a stock block with a blower strapped on is DUMB. Unless you plan on staying ALL motor and absolutely zero power adder but want to push big pwer, then by all means do it. How do I know? B/c I have a Forged 331 in a stock 5.0 block....

So...what do I have.

-A topend capable of pushing close to 400rwhp with out any power adder (AFR185s, victor intake, custom cam)

-A Forged Steel Eagle Crank and Rods with Flattop forged pistons. Can handle WELL over 700+hp reliably.

-A Big fucking Nitrous kit capable of 300hp

ALL that is stuffed in a block that cries if it sees close to 500rwhp.

WHATS THE POINT OF SINKING ALL THAT MONEY INTO A STOCK BLOCK?! There ISN'T. Learn from my mistake. PLEASE. If you're going to do a power adder in a stock block, put it on a forged piston'd 306 and roll out. If you're going all motor then by all means, stroke it...if you want BOTH, pick up an upgraded block. You'll be MUCH happier in the long run

94twinscrew

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
ICEMAN330824 said:

Damn...where do you live? Cars must be alot slower in Louisiana
lol...that's what i was thinkin....because they're a dime a dozen here.

OP
OP
I

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
LOL. Yep. I called D.S.S Racing and to buld me a bad 331 w/ 9.25:1 compression would be about $2,600 and just short of $3k shipped to my door. The motor is said to be 450hp alone, then with added 10psi blower....well you do the math=1 qucik street car. lol :banana: O0

Spyder

Reaction score
But your still talking about a stock block

despite D.S.S.'s advertising, they still stuff all that shit into a stock block. And all the girdles and braces will do a great job of holding your parts together when the block does split. And people have been know to fry their pistons as well, just ask truuble.

I would suggest the same thing as Ryclef, if your gonna build a motor with plans for a power adder, than dont do it cheap.

You get what you pay for, and that applies to damn near everything in life.

IceMan

Reaction score
Dude, listen... your STOCK shortblock and STOCK internals WILL handle 400 rwhp. Unless you are planing to spend the money and get a Dart, A4 or R302 block... My sugestion is to do this... take your stock bottom end, and rebuild it... put new rings, berings etc... it should not cost you no more than few hundred dollars... bust the piggy bank and get your self a good set of heads and an intake... also make sure that you upgrade the injectors, fuel pump and mass air to suport the boost... you dont want to go lean... remember rich(er) good... lean(er) bad, even with forged pistons... worst case scenario in few years when the block splits, you have all the suporting mods to make a nice 600-700hp build and all you will need is a shortblock (Dart 3xx bla bla bla)... this is the exact same thing that i did with my 90,000 mile shortblock with a procharger D1SC at 17psi made 602 RWHP and 637 TQ... i have made 12 passes with best of 10.61 at 131mph in a 94 Cobra with no weight being taken off the car what so ever and ran for a year, before the WC T5 took a shit on me... i got a TKO600 and plan to run it for one more year (fingers crossed)... but remember to TUNE YOUR CAR... spend few hundred dollars and TUNE IT... at 400RWHP it should last safely and run high 11's low 12's all day (maybe better)... just my .02

OP
OP
I

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
IceMan said:
Dude, listen... your STOCK shortblock and STOCK internals WILL handle 400 rwhp. Unless you are planing to spend the money and get a Dart, A4 or R302 block... My sugestion is to do this... take your stock bottom end, and rebuild it... put new rings, berings etc... it should not cost you no more than few hundred dollars... bust the piggy bank and get your self a good set of heads and an intake... also make sure that you upgrade the injectors, fuel pump and mass air to suport the boost... you dont want to go lean... remember rich(er) good... lean(er) bad, even with forged pistons... worst case scenario in few years when the block splits, you have all the suporting mods to make a nice 600-700hp build and all you will need is a shortblock (Dart 3xx bla bla bla)... this is the exact same thing that i did with my 90,000 mile shortblock with a procharger D1SC at 17psi made 602 RWHP and 637 TQ... i have made 12 passes with best of 10.61 at 131mph in a 94 Cobra with no weight being taken off the car what so ever and ran for a year, before the WC T5 took a shit on me... i got a TKO600 and plan to run it for one more year (fingers crossed)... but remember to TUNE YOUR CAR... spend few hundred dollars and TUNE IT... at 400RWHP it should last safely and run high 11's low 12's all day (maybe better)... just my .02

OK. So what is your block, a 306 with forged internals & what heads, upper/lower intake, and cam are you running, and what is you engine compression ratio? thanks

IceMan

Reaction score
I have a stock block with stock internals... 302 ci, ported and polished stock GT40's stock ported Cobra upper and lower intake stock cobra cam... compression is stock maybe 9.0-9.5:1... your blower may not make the same horsepower as mine at the same psi, just because mine pushes more volume of air... PROCHARGER RULES ... :thumb: (as far as superchargers go anyways) I know that at that horsepower i'm on borrowed time with the stock motor, but i already have other plans... i may lower the boost for this season... just to buy me a little bit more time...

ryclef331

Reaction score
IceMan said:

MOTHA FUKKIN' WERD!

IceMan

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What part...

OP
OP
I

ICEMAN330824

Reaction score
IceMan said:
I have a stock block with stock internals... 302 ci, ported and polished stock GT40's stock ported Cobra upper and lower intake stock cobra cam... compression is stock maybe 9.0-9.5:1... your blower may not make the same horsepower as mine at the same psi, just because mine pushes more volume of air... PROCHARGER RULES ... :thumb: (as far as superchargers go anyways) I know that at that horsepower i'm on borrowed time with the stock motor, but i already have other plans... i may lower the boost for this season... just to buy me a little bit more time...

OK. guys i get it. Once I get my taxes. Ill be buying forged internals for a 306, and ill send my stock block off to be machined for 9:1 comp. and buy some afr 185cc heads or some cheaper heads if I can find some, & a twisted wedge upper/lower intake with a mild cam. This should do from what you guys are stressing instead of a stroker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.