Need advice on tires

Spiney

Reaction score
I have a 96 SVT Cobra. It currently has Firestone 245/40 RZ17 tires. Last weekend

On the way to a show I had a flat. I need to replace both rear tires because they are worn. The tires are Firestone Firehawk tires.

Calling around. They appear to be discontinued, hard to get.

Car is a fair weather car only, never sees rain or snow.

Looking for recommendation for tires. Was at a tire shop looking today. They had Hankook Ventus S1 Noble, Michellin Pilot, and Pirelli PZero Nero.

I'm looking for good performance on dry. We only use the car on weekends & sunny days.

So I don't drag race, not into Burnouts, I am into corners & performance.

What do you recommend, and have any experience with with Tire Rack?

Thanks, Dave

TanTop94

Reaction score
Cooper zeon rs3s or rs3a. Love them. Managed to pick up a full set of rs3s' off of ebay for 312 shipped. Not too bad. Never have done any business with tire rack.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't push it except on curves. I upgraded the suspension so I'd like to try my hand at auto cross. So handling is my top concern.

Another thing that's important is a road hazard warranty. Our area got hit hard in may with a hail storm. 10,000 roofs are being replaced. That's how I picked up a nail. Just in my immediate neighborhood there are at least 15-20 roofs & siding being replaced now.

Still open to more experience & suggestions.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Follow up. 245/45/17 tires were OEM Fronts are 245/40/17. Will putting 245/45/17 on rear cause any issues? They are much easier to come by.
Thanks, Dave

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I run Continental Extreme Contact DW. Amazing dry grip, wet is great too. Highly recommend them.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Getting a pair of Hankook Ventus Noble in the morning. Drove myself crazy looking at specs vs affordable vs 90% of my real life driving.

When the money comes around I'll add a new pair to the front.

Really looked hard at eBay and Tire Rack vs local. Local offers pretty much free everything after you buy the tire. And a no questions Road Hazard Warranty for just $15 a tire.

If you go Internet, pay shipping in some cases, then mounting and balance which local was $22/per + disposal charge, and no availability of Road Hazard Warranty, the difference is very small.

A local chain, CJ's tire store is very competitive plus really stands behind their product. Plus with Internet & the holiday I couldn't get the tires until Tuesday or Wednesday. Local, I'll have them in the AM and be able to go to a Mustang Coral at Carlisle on Saturday.

Thanks for all your input. Dave

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Follow up, I misposted, I have 275/40/Z17 tires. Having an impossible time finding them locally. One place could get Cooper or Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I'm definitely not interested in Uniroyal. So if I need to buy 4 new tires, what size are you running. I don't want staggered because I want to be able to rotate. I really like the stance of the 275.

Both Nitto and Sumitomo make an affordable 275-40-17. I read pretty good reviews of both actually, what's your thoughts on those. I was convinced on Hankook but I think in a 17 low profile they don't go any wider than 245. This has been so frustrating. I thought once I broke down and decided to buy new I'd make some calls and be on my way. It seems for the 275-40-17 my only hope may be the net. Either Tire rack or eBay. Tire rack often has the same tires on eBay buy it now for free shipping vs $13 a tire on their site. But when you buy on eBay I don't think you can buy a road hazard warranty. Thanks again for all of your help. Missing another show on a beautiful day, not a happy camper.

wmfateam

Reaction score
When I would sell tires at my Kia dealership, I would always send people to discount to Hey a road hazard warranty. If I remember correctly, you can get a road hazard warranty on tires purchased elsewhere if they are brand new and they have access to that manufacturer.
Now about tires. I have Nitto 555's on my daily and NT01 on the road race car. Love them both. And at work we have Nitto Envo's, R888's and Michelin PSS. All great tires. R888's are super grippy in a straight line but have a bit of side flex. Michelin grip on all road surfaces, a little loud but they are 295 and 305. Envo's are quite, absorb bumps well, great wet traction and for the price are our daily options for the car when logging miles.

familytruckster

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The sumitomo's aren't too bad. Quite sticky. Like to go square if they sit for a few days. I think they are the cheapest you can get.

I really liked my Azenis I had back in the day, they are a tad pricey now. The Cooper RS3's look good on paper and have good reviews.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The sumitomo's aren't too bad. Quite sticky. Like to go square if they sit for a few days. I think they are the cheapest you can get.

Is you serious and they have a new tire out that actually and hooks or do we need to find out what kind of wachy tobaccy your smoking? The wheels I got on craigs list were new and so where the tires. The only good thing about them is the 335 looked nice and fat on the back wheel but that extra width did NOTHING for traction. I found them to be way too hard of a compound myself as they didn't stick and didn't last either. They were ok for smoking if you wanted a burn out and that would be the only thing I would buy them for.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Stock wheels? If they're 17x8 I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 255s. I put 275s on my buddy's 18x8s and there is significant tire bulge. Makes it very wobbly in the turns. Since my car is now warm weather only I'm going to go with nitto NT01s. Tire rack is a great deal IF you or someone you know can install them for you. Once you add in mounting and balancing they're about the same price as everyone else.
Also I thought the stock size was 245/45R17 on all four corners?

familytruckster

Reaction score
Is you serious and they have a new tire out that actually and hooks or do we need to find out what kind of wachy tobaccy your smoking? The wheels I got on craigs list were new and so where the tires. The only good thing about them is the 335 looked nice and fat on the back wheel but that extra width did NOTHING for traction. I found them to be way too hard of a compound myself as they didn't stick and didn't last either. They were ok for smoking if you wanted a burn out and that would be the only thing I would buy them for.

I bought mine new, and autocrossed my 4500lb wagon on them. It hooked and turned quite well. I had 275/315 on 17x9/10.5 bullitts. Granted my wagon has a MUCH better suspension than any mustang. Sure, the sumo's weren't nearly as good as the Hooiser A6's, but for the price, I can't complain.

And I smoke medicinal grade. ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I bought mine new, and autocrossed my 4500lb wagon on them. It hooked and turned quite well. I had 275/315 on 17x9/10.5 bullitts. Granted my wagon has a MUCH better suspension than any mustang. Sure, the sumo's weren't nearly as good as the Hooiser A6's, but for the price, I can't complain.

And I smoke medicinal grade. ;)

first I have heard that that suosuckos hooked ever. I think you just been smoking too much

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Stock on 96 Cobra is 245-45-17. Mine came with FRPP 95 Cobra R 17x9" wheels and Firestone Firehawk 270-40-17. Love the look and cornering. But lost one and now need at least 2 for rear. Don't want to stagger because I'd like to rotate. Tires on car now are uni-directional so only can rotate front to back.

Is it a big issue to have 2 different mfgs on front & rear?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only if you care. I have been running 10.5s out back for 6-7 yrs ago now and I can't say I have missed rotating them in exchange for the fat ass. 3 yrs ago my front tires needed to be replaced and they didn't have the same brand as the rears so he just got something he said was similar. I have not had anyone comment on it and there is no performance issue that will cause it to pull to one side or the other.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
My concern is would having 2 different manufacturer tires on front & back would affect cornering or tracking.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the tire you add are not as good as the ones you replaced then yes there might be less traction but it isn't going to reverse gravity while forming a black hole that would suck everything into it. Like I did when I mismatched mine the guy said the tires I got were about the same as what I had. I have not noticed anything bad about handling I mean are you autocrossing this or just a DD with an occasional flooring? You already have two use tires on it so there will be a difference there between new/old but they all will roll. Its not like you don't have the option to replace all 4 if it is a concern.

Handz

Reaction score
Nitto NT-05. The best tire I have used and I have had ALOT of different tires on stang. Nothing handles better for a street/race tire IMO.

I have gone through 2 sets...and when this set is done next year I will buy a third set no doubt.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. After looking at all my options I went local with a place called CJ's tires. I bought Goodyear Eagle F-1 tires.
Paid $189 each. Plus $15 each total road hazard protection. Received free mount, balance & install. Then $120 for using a Goodyear 12 months same as cash card, plus another $40 off discount. So almost got one free tires.

Plus being local if there is an issue they repair or replace no hassle. I've worked with them before and they stand behind their work. They even let me come in the shop to see their machine wasn't scratching my rims and let me clean my barrels while the wheels were off the car. Car feels great and tracks better than ever. The only disappointment so far is even though they have the same specs size wise as my previous tires there appears to be more gap between the wheel well lip and the tire. I need to measure it and see if that's true.

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Curious what pressure do you all run for DD, Auto-X, & strip? TIA, Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online