Need advice on what to do with this block...

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
So an old coworker of mine had a 302 block collecting dust and I took it off my hands. I'd like to use it for my GT40p build for my '94 GT, however I don't think I can.

The casting code is E0AE-D3C, meaning it's a 1980 non-roller block which I believe used the 2-piece rear main seal.

According to my friend, it's been bored .57 over and has all new freeze plugs. I don't think the crank has been turned but it should be use-able.

Would I be able to convert this block into a roller and use it in my '94? Or should I just sell it for what I can get and use that cash to buy a more updated roller block? I'm new to engine building so I don't want too much hassle, just something I can tear down and build up myself with new parts.

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/3W8d8

Thanks for your help!

Addermk2

Reaction score
Bored. 0.057 over?

I wouldn't even touch it.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
I haven't measured it...that's just what he said.

RichV

Reaction score
Never even heard of 0.057 over. 0.010, 0.020, 0.030, even 0.040 over. You sure he knows what he's talking about? When have you seen a piston for a 0.057 over block?

The non-roller blocks can be converted to roller with some hardware, nothing wrong with using them. The conversion parts are a little pricey, but definitely usable if you get a deal and the block is good.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Never even heard of 0.057 over. 0.010, 0.020, 0.030, even 0.040 over. You sure he knows what he's talking about? When have you seen a piston for a 0.057 over block?

The non-roller blocks can be converted to roller with some hardware, nothing wrong with using them. The conversion parts are a little pricey, but definitely usable if you get a deal and the block is good.

When I see people posting about how they've never heard of something being done, it makes me wonder how much experience they really have with cars. it is a very common practice for a machine shop to rough for a cylinder as much as 0.003" to 0.005" under bore. The remainder of that measurement is taking up during the final hone.

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
It sounded weird to me but that's what he said...I'm not gonna question a guy too much who is giving me free parts.

Obviously if it's bored much more than .04 over I probably won't use it for my build, but it's free, so I at least want to figure out if I can use it or not.

My main question is will it work if I put roller conversion parts in it. I don't really want to shell out for link bar lifters since for that price I could just as easily find a roller block from an exploder or something and go with that. My main question was about using the non-roller block for a roller build, and whether or not those casting numbers represent a bad year for the 302 (I know some of the '79/'80 blocks were supposedly garbage).

Anyway thanks for your help. I'm gonna take it to my uncle's shop this weekend and try and figure out exactly how much it was bored over. Hopefully someone involved in this transaction wasn't full of shit, and hopefully that guy isn't me.

RichV

Reaction score
When I see people posting about how they've never heard of something being done, it makes me wonder how much experience they really have with cars. it is a very common practice for a machine shop to rough for a cylinder as much as 0.003" to 0.005" under bore. The remainder of that measurement is taking up during the final hone.

I'm not familiar enough with the machining process, but it's not too common to say 0.057, that's all. Either way the walls are paper thin.

nolan62

Reaction score

Absolutely, That's what they do. But wouldn't you say .060 on a 302 is rolling the dice?

Addermk2

Reaction score
Absolutely, That's what they do. But wouldn't you say .060 on a 302 is rolling the dice?

Indeed, that's why I said I wouldn't touch it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99