Need diagnostic help

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

This has really good pictures of how to apply it. I like to lay a bead around that area of the port instead of just a dab

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I use some stuff called the right stuff as a sealant
Problem its a bitch taking apart or breaking seal
But when it seals your good

Monday

Reaction score
So, it seems to be the biggest issue. I reconnected the vacuum lines, reset the ECM, and lo and behold the engine is running - pretty well in fact. I just took it for an easy 10 mile drive.

So, I am still getting some smoke (or steam) coming off the back side of the engine. Looks like smoke to me, but can't figure out what would be causing it? I used some penetrating oil and cleaning fluids to clean up the engine valley, etc. but suspect that it would have burned off by now. As this is a PI intake on a NPI head, I guess I could have a leak (although I was pretty careful in my application of RTV at the water passage, and used
new intake gaskets. How prone are the cam covers to leakage on these engines (used brand new gaskets here also)?

Cam cover gaskets are very likely because the covers can be a pain in the butt to get the gaskets in, and to keep them in while you position the cover. Do you happen to have any pictures of your rtv that you applied for the coolant ports?

Do you mean the sealant applied on the head, or the type of RTV? If you mean pictures of the application of the RTV, I did not take those pictures. I put a farily liberal amount on the head at the corner of each water port, installed the gasket, then dropped on the manifold and finger tighted the bolts. Allowed them to sit overnight, and torqued everything according to the manuals procedures the following day.
Can't you all be right? I have found the three problems simultaneously.

As for the RTV. After seeing what it did with my EGR - sucked it all in to the TB - I do not trust RTV on my engine - direct contact basically. I now put in the extra half hour or so making sure that I have a surface - all of my surfaces now - that wants nothing else but to get married up to my motor with the correct gasket(s). Works for me...

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Regarding the RTV application, what was shown in Dustbuster's write up is pretty much exactly what mine looked like. Chrisfix did a video on the manifold swap that I also watched before starting the job, and referenced during reassembly. The good news is I took the car on a longer drive yesterday afternoon. The ambient temperature was much higher and the engine got really good and hot. I wasn't seeing any smoke, so maybe it was just some crap buring off. I also took a towel and wiped across the back of the valve covers, and they are dry (no oil leaks).

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Regarding the RTV application, what was shown in Dustbuster's write up is pretty much exactly what mine looked like. Chrisfix did a video on the manifold swap that I also watched before starting the job, and referenced during reassembly. The good news is I took the car on a longer drive yesterday afternoon. The ambient temperature was much higher and the engine got really good and hot. I wasn't seeing any smoke, so maybe it was just some crap buring off. I also took a towel and wiped across the back of the valve covers, and they are dry (no oil leaks).

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

As for the RTV. After seeing what it did with my EGR - sucked it all in to the TB - I do not trust RTV on my engine - direct contact basically. I now put in the extra half hour or so making sure that I have a surface - all of my surfaces now - that wants nothing else but to get married up to my motor with the correct gasket(s). Works for me...
The one thing wrong with your statement here is that the modular engines require rtv in some places straight from the factory. There is nothing wrong with rtv when it is used correctly and allowed to cure before use.

I’ve put 22k miles on my npi headed town car with a pi intake and rtv on the coolant ports.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

How much of the rtv did you use , you know a really small bead goes a long way

Monday

Reaction score
How much of the rtv did you use , you know a really small bead goes a long way
I used enough to where I thought I had the perfect gasket. NOPE. Pretty much all got sucked in thru the EGR into the Plenum.

I called my car guy and he said "You're supposed to use a gasket there." NO SHIT. So I used a gasket after cleaning TB and Plenum. Still no lights :D

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It helps cleaning the water port where the blob of rtv goes.
The pi intake swap once setup requires curing time. Im a fan of setting it all up loose and torquing down the next day or at least 24hrs.

weendoggy

Reaction score
The pi intake swap once setup requires curing time. Im a fan of setting it all up loose and torquing down the next day or at least 24hrs.
I'll add that I will allow the RTV to setup for about 10mins before I even attempt to install a cover, manifold or other part, then torque and leave it alone until the next day.

Monday

Reaction score
Yepper. I let it sit for 25 maybe 30 hours cuz I got busy and I thought I had this gig in the bag...

Just goes to show sometimes nothing goes the way you see it... mostly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online