Need help building motor !!!

97GtMustang

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole forum this so don't bust my balls but I want to build a motor for my 97 gt I want to make around 350-400 to the wheels I want to also build a motor that later on could handle a supercharger without messing anything up I want to get a brand new block so if you could post links on what block to start with best things for the right money just want a nice street car I will also need to know what internals to get basically this is the first motor I'm building so any tips I just need to know what to buy all internals best heads for the money everything thanks guys

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Since its your first engine build, id suggest finding a good running engine, that you have heard run, and start there. The stock internals are sufficient for n/a and with a little bit of research youll find Ford made some better components that will swap in, but youll have to scavenge them down. Focus on a stock rebuild before advancing to top dawg.

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I researched this a while ago and the general consensus from the guys on this forum was get your stock crank redone bc it should handle anything you want to throw at it as long as you don't go crazy, get your block hot tanked and bored and all that stuff. Then get 2013 boss rods bc they hold up to 700 hp and then get forged pistons, your heads which the only real options are to get pi heads or get the trickflows. Get your cams and all the hardware and anything else you want. Supporting mods etc and then your good to go. Those are essentially my plans for the year.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
"I want to build a motor" or "I want to get a motor built"?

If its your first hands on experience, start cheap. If a machine shop is used, go full on out!! Aftermarket rods, forged pistons, tfs heads....oh yea!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Are you absolutely dead set on building your engine? The reason I ask is, building a 2v is fun (I am working mine right now) but when the day is done it gets expensive to bring that kind of power out of it. If you are not against swapping something else in its place, a Coyote swap will put you right where you want to be. Just a thought. Let us know what you plan to do.

OP
OP

97GtMustang

Reaction score
I don't want to do a swap I just want a fun street car and yes a machine shop will be used don't have all of the equipment so I could get my block hot tanked and bored then just do all fresh internals? What can would you recommend? And I can use stick crank as well?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have to agree with these guys only if your intention is to boost it later. Go ahead snd boost it now and in the mean time build a solid engine while your destroying the stocker.

qwikstang4me

Reaction score
I just sold my built Boss block 2v engine. It was my first build and want to go autocrossing/road racing so the added weight of a power adder was not something I wanted. The engine ended up 322ci and 11:1 compression and should make 420-450 at the crank. I just sold it to do a coyote swap, I'll let you know what RWHP numbers the car it goes in makes.

If you are interested in a power adder, you might as well build an engine first, boost will find the weakest link and kill the engine. It is pretty easy to do as I did and buy every part for your build as you can afford it. You don't get instant gratification, but you do end up with exactly what you want and no expensive debts to pay off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online