Need help deciding on hood choice, please chime in.

venom

Reaction score
Things have taken a turn for the good in my build. My forward facing intake with SC is clearing the factory Cobra hood. Now I need a new hood since the time I would spend to repair the stocker would not be worth it. I have seen the Official hood thread http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?31743-***SN95-Ulitmate-Hood-Guide***. There are a lot of choices but most stick with the Cobra R, cowl and stocker. I had a unicorn of all hoods the Griggs racing CF latching hood but made a poor decision and sold it long ago.

Griggs only makes the pin on hood which I can use but have no experience with those and how much of a pain it would be to use one for a street car that is not driven often. Have you guys seen any hoods that no one has or you have rarely seen on SN95s?

21587bee.jpg

There is the Boss INC Cyber stallion hood but I am not 100%. Plenty of pics on Fox bodies but not many SN95s. Ive heard about this hood unpeeling itself from the bottom skin but I don't run any hoods without pins in which case I may go with the aerocatch ones.

0719091200a_zps5c1bc248.jpg

Current hood

IMG_6963_zpsfb1bf1b0.jpg

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I am strongly leaning towards the griggs pin on hood since I had it and really liked it. I could make some sort of hinge that swings hood forward like a vette and still have the option to remove hood altogether. With this system aero catch Locking pins in the rear cowl area for security. Or I can just leave it as a pin on with 2 aero catch pins for security.

The griggs racing stuff gives me a hard on
The D3V

I am about to sell my Kanean cowl hood as I don't have a need for it.

The tiger racing hood is nice but those open vents are midway in the hood and I have cast iron block. In Florida it rains almost everyday half the year. I would be fighting water spots all over engine bay but it is a nice hood. I could make some vent covers.

Since those 2 hoods are rarely bought its hard to see them non race cars without all the stickers and race gear. The Griggs is pin on and tiger is bolt on but 2x as much.

If any one is able to find pics please post. By far the body mods have given me the most grief :(

I liked the monstorous 6" cowl or so that you had before.

The tiger racing hood is pretty unique. A bit pricey but if you want rare, tiger racing is the way to go.

http://www.chicane23.com/chicane23/specials.php

94-98_hood.jpg

Win

Legend
Reaction score
The cobra hood you had did it not fit bc of the heat blanket?? It looks like it might have fit without that.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The cobra hood you had did it not fit bc of the heat blanket?? It looks like it might have fit without that.
I believe it fits now since he change intakes? I think that's what he was describing in the first sentence.
Now that he's got everything fitting nicely, he doesn't need his ugly cut up hood so he's looking for something nicer.
If I'm correct.

What's wrong with a y2k cobra r hood?!?!
I like that griggs and the one ferocious posted.
What about a heat exchanger from cervinis? Nothing crazy, but I haven't seen a lot of them.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
You are correct sir. I need a new hood since I cut out the stock Cobra hood due to my old setup.

After looking at several pics of the Tiger racing hood it appears that the vents are not cut out. I will call them Monday and see if indeed vents are uncut. But I wonder if the back area in the cowl is open to let heat out.

There's nothing wrong with all the hoods mentioned but I tend to gravitate to a more exotic selection of parts which end up costing me lol

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I believe it fits now since he change intakes? I think that's what he was describing in the first sentence.
Now that he's got everything fitting nicely, he doesn't need his ugly cut up hood so he's looking for something nicer.
If I'm correct.

What's wrong with a y2k cobra r hood?!?!
I like that griggs and the one ferocious posted.
What about a heat exchanger from cervinis? Nothing crazy, but I haven't seen a lot of them.

This is why I was suggesting going with that without a heat blanket. It would give more of a sleeper look.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Called about the tiger hood. It's a bit under $900 for fiberglass version. They can order it without any or some of the vents cut out. Biggest issue is the the front most vent dips lower than factory hood so I may have issues with fitment. Good thing I have time to think about. I would love to have a Saleen clone so that may narrow down the choices if I go down that path. I am sure about everything except exterior.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
How about this one? > http://www.eharwood.com/catalog.php?id=418 It's 2.5 inches and has heat extractors like the saleen hood.

26404.jpg

These are the only pic I could find of it actually on a car.

kevinhood.jpg

kevincowl.jpg

I have seen that one and another from them with ram air but this cowl is bigger than what is needed. So far the 00r hood looks like the way to go but I have not given up on Griggs hood as of yet. Waiting to see if they will be willing to make a bolt on at my cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online