Need help for the next step in tuning, $10 paypal to the personthathelpsthemost!

on_ice

Reaction score
Ok, time to try AGAIN tuning my car. First couple times I blew headgaskets, then a piston, then this then that etc etc. FINALLY, after at least 2 years, 4 combos and alot of heartbreak, im ready to try again. Unfortunatly my combo isnt as stout as it used to be, ( no more S-Trim) but it will do. To tell you the truth, I dont care how fast it is, I just want to get to the track and have fun with this car again. Lets pretend I dont know anything, because everythign I do know is probably wrong. Here is my combo:

*Rebuilt 91 shortblock, my first block build.....but it seems to be working good, no loss of compression or anything
*Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads ported by HBR
*Trickflow Stage 1 cam
*Scorpian 1.6 Rockers
*Cobra Intake
*Pro Products 75mm TB
*Pro M 75 MM MAF
*FRPP 24lb Injectors
*Walboro GSS340 intank
*Kirban AFPR
*Pioneer SFI Balancer
*Full Exhaust with longtubes
*MSD 6AL
*Autolite 3924's
*MSD Coil,
Tweecer R/T, EEC Analyzer and Zeitroniz WB02

Base timing is at 10*, Fuel pressure is at 39 with vac off, and I have no CE lights.

So far I have done this to my car ( tuning wise):

J4J1 Calibration
Injector Slopes 24/24
Thermactor: 0
Injector Breakpoint 3.045 e-5
EGR Type: 2
Maf Voltage: 4.999 and 0
Checksum Base Adress: 0
Idle in gear/Neutral= 744
Fan Speeds
Speed limiters off
Max Spark Retard= -10
And the generic Tweecer 24 maf curve.

What should I do next? What have I done wrong? What is the latest version of the Tweecer software, etc etc?

The Car:
Drives pretty good for the most part... Has a hunting idle at times, and will stall at lights maybe 4 times per full tank of gas ( much better then before). I get 17 mpg highway/city mix....but I dont know my A/F cause the WB02 isnt in. Other then that,.....we have one major problem....its slow. When I hit it, it feels as if it misses or goes through the revs slow or something. I used to have a similar problem because my ECU was fried and was pulling timing but that should be fixed.

What should I look at next? Thanks for reading!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
Are you dyno tuning this car or doing a mail order tune? What is your ECU tuned at right now? Also are running a power adder? Or is this N/A now? are the internals forged? What is your current compression at? Need info bro

OP
OP
O

on_ice

Reaction score
Re: Need help for the next step in tuning, $10 paypal to the personthathelpsthem

jpajkos said:
Are you dyno tuning this car or doing a mail order tune? What is your ECU tuned at right now? Also are running a power adder? Or is this N/A now? are the internals forged? What is your current compression at? Need info bro

Neither, street tuning. I already listed what was dont to the ECU right now. No more power adder, and the internals are stock forged with stock compression.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I would defiantly pull a Air/Fuel data log to make sure your getting enough fuel in the entire power band. Alot of the times I see guys out there with mail order in tunes and there great but there car loose's steam at around 4300 and just keeps reving up because they can. Through out there entire power band the air/fuel cuts off. I would pull a live scan on your fuel and adjust and tune from there if you street tuning. If not you might want to put it on a dyno for acouple of hours and tune it yourself if you can. I would re-flash the ecu. It might still think it has a power adder on it so you could be running rich. Hard to say without being there in the car.

S

scarface

IMHO if you have blown that much stuff up trying to tune it yourself, why not keep your ten bux and put it towards having a professional dyno tune ???

Not being a smartass, Im just curious?

OP
OP
O

on_ice

Reaction score
I could care less how many motors I go through, how much time it takes, how much power I may be missing out on.....this is my hobby and I want to learn how to do it. If I paid someone, that would cut out all the fun. Money isnt an issue, the knowledge is what im in the game for.

On a side note, a wideband is already installed on the car.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Re: Need help for the next step in tuning, $10 paypal to the personthathelpsthem

on_ice said:
Money isnt an issue, the knowledge is what im in the game for.

Well since money isn't an issue.... I wouldn't mind some suspension upgrades... :eek:

G

GREG@SN95

31 spline axles
lower control arms
springs and shocks (maybe coil overs up front if yer willing)
Panhard bar
Caster camber plates (MAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS!)
subframe connectors
cobra front brake conversion
Drag Radials

^that should get all your power to the wheels

and you really should take it to a dyno

ripper

Reaction score
Dude unless you have a dyno, laptop loaded with sct software, and maf, and o2 sen connectors, you cant do it so forget it.

Sounds like your tryin to get your car tuned for 10 bucks. Go have it done right, you can be involved in it. If you had done it in the first place you would have been a track veteran by now instead of lookin at your car blown up in the garage all the time. Good Luck

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stevo said:
Dude unless you have a dyno, laptop loaded with sct software, and maf, and o2 sen connectors, you cant do it so forget it.

Sounds like your tryin to get your car tuned for 10 bucks. Go have it done right, you can be involved in it. If you had done it in the first place you would have been a track veteran by now instead of lookin at your car blown up in the garage all the time. Good Luck

+1

Tornbetween2

Reaction score

These are typical post that a lot of people get fed up with.

I am not a experience tuner but one thing you MUST do. Is you have to post up your AFR. Once you do that then we can help you a lot more.

ripper

Reaction score
He is way rich now that he dumped his s/c. (why i havent got a clue) Your gonna take a 12 second car to the track and do 15's. Good Luck

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to tune it yourself...save the money and take some SCT training class's

OP
OP
O

on_ice

Reaction score
Wow, old post! As an update for all the non-believers that dont like building their own cars....with the help of another more-friendly board I was able to get the car tuned exceptionally well and running fast n/a and with nitrous. Thanks anyway though!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

I never even read this post but tuning isnt rocket science.....

I wish I would have went with sniper so I could have tuned my own car.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
I never even read this post but tuning isnt rocket science.....

That might be in the top ten stupidest posts I've ever seen on the internet.

Tuning is rocket science, especially as you get into the newer OBDII cars - the computers and setups are very sensitive, everyone is always pushing the limits of their components, and it's all too easy for one wrong keystroke to put a hole in a piston. Sure, with some internet reading, some common sense, playing it safe, you can get a car running, but the difference between your "tune" if you want to call it that and a professional dyno tune is still going to be night and day.

I purchased the SCT tuning software with my XCAL2 for my Cobra and went to a couple SCT classes. I had the benefit of having a very open book tuner (Rick from Amazon) willing to share some stuff with me and check my tunes. I still, to this day, would not upload a tune, with even the slightest change, without him approving it first. I know a hundred times what I did when I started, and even now, I know I don't know 1% of what I'd need to know to safely tune my car.

OBDI? carbed car? Sure, you've probably got a chance of getting it close. 96+? Forget about it, you're not going to get anywhere close to a real tune - you can tell yourself that you tuned it yourself and you did a great job to make yourself feel better, but it's still nowhere close to a dyno tune.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

I still think anyone with any a backround in computers/programming/ just good with computers can do it.

I retuned my entire shift schedule and torque converter lockup schedule along with fixing my hot starting problem by leaning it out a little at idle.

I did this with no special sct training...just a bit of generaly knowledge and backround in computers.

I datalogged and made sure everything was right and made the propor changes.

Ive never tuned an engine but I honestly dont think it can be that hard. You can add fuel in like 50 rpm increments and make sure the a/f ratio is on point with a wideband...add some timing.

Of course theres tricks you will learn but I dont see why a normal person couldnt learn how to tune thier car.

If you take a n/a mustang to a dyno tuner whats he gonna do?

Throw it on the dyno with a wideband...correct the a/f ratio to 13.0 or wherever he wants it and advance the timing a bit?

Your crazy if you think tuning a mustang is comparable to rocket science.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
street tuning is a great way to tune your car. your gonna get more accurate, real world tuning enviornment. i give the man props for doing it himself and will be much better and save much more money the second time around. tuning your own car isnt really rocket science as long as you understand how the fuel injection system works. im not too knowledgeable on the tweecer and tuning your car just cause ive never done it before but i do have a general understanding on how to do it. if i can make a recommendation is to go to www.stangnet.com, go to the 94-95 section and look in the 94-95 tuning section, there is a plethora of knowledge on how to tune your car using the pms and a tweecer. pm a older fella named grady. he knows his stuff when it comes to the tweecer. im gonna tune my car when it is built. if you wanna tune for more power then obviously the dyno is the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online