Need help installing rear brake pads

Reaction score
Recently purchased some Hawk HPS brake pads from American Muscle.

The front pads went on in about 30 mins, no problem whatsoever and I'm a newbie as far as wrenching goes.

However, the back is a different story. Basically, I can't get the caliper to go back on. It appears that the Hawk pads are too thick!

There are 2 bolts holding the caliper on, interestingly the "socket" that excepts the bottom caliper bolt adjusts/moves in and out. Is the top one supposed to do that too? Because that is the only thing keeping me from bolting the caliper back up, I can't get the top of it seated properly. When I put the stock pads back on, everything is fine b/c I have more room to work with since they are worn down.

The bottom is easy b/c the "socket" that accepts the caliper bolt just moves in giving me more room. I am hoping that one of you will tell me that top "socket" is supposed to move/adjust as well b/c then I'll just know it is seized up or something and I gotta bang on it.

I wasn't sure if it was supposed to move like the bottom so I didn't wack on it too hard.

Let me know what you guys think or if you've had similar problems.

S

scarface

there is a tool to collapse the caliper all the way...it pushes the piston in as it turns it. You can rent them at most autoparts stores.

ck5.0

Reaction score
The square tool that you buy does not have the right fittings unless you grind one side of it. Ask you local place if they have the caliper tool to rent.

S

scarface

ck4.6 said:
The square tool that you buy does not have the right fittings unless you grind one side of it. Ask you local place if they have the caliper tool to rent.
what square tool?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I know what tool you're talking about and I actually have it. The funny thing is, it doesn't work/fit properly (I thought about grinding that side down like you suggested when I was out there fooling around with it). I ended up using a pair of needle-nose pliers to compress the piston. Unfortunately, the piston is not the problem.

But it turns out that I figured it out by taking off the wheel on the other side and realizing that in fact the "socket" I was referring to is indeed just stuck and is probably gonna need some penetrant or PB Blaster or something to get it moving again.

I know it's hard to visualize what I'm talking about when I say "socket" but maybe I could get a picture of it on here, it's the part that accepts the caliper bolt on the caliper bracket. Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know what things are called, haha. I dunno how else to explain it.

Either way, I just got back from Autozone with some penetrant and I'm gonna let that sit overnight and go back at it tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

S

scarface

its funny people say they dont fit, but I got my set at autozone, and it fits fine? Oh well...Glad you figured it out.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Is your tool a cube (6 sides)?

Penetrant is soaking.... see how it goes tomorrow

4point6GT

Reaction score
grind them down so they fit, I put mine on as skates n skated around my parkin lot.......jk

ck5.0

Reaction score
scarface said:
its funny people say they dont fit, but I got my set at autozone, and it fits fine? Oh well...Glad you figured it out.

Thats crazy because I bought one at autozone and advanced, neither one of them worked.

S

scarface

this is the set I bought from autozone...
07-28-07_0750.jpg

07-28-07_0751.jpg

ck5.0

Reaction score
That is the same set I rented from a mom and pop shop. The Autozone I went to only had this pos.

[attachment deleted by admin]

S

scarface

ck4.6 said:
That is the same set I rented from a mom and pop shop. The Autozone I went to only had this pos.
WTF is that thing? Pandora's box?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
haha... that's the same thing I got. The guy at Autozone said it would work... but it didn't. Plus it cost $10, what a waste of money.

ck5.0

Reaction score
sanchezcruz_20 said:
haha... that's the same thing I got. The guy at Autozone said it would work... but it didn't. Plus it cost $10, what a waste of money.

Throw it away and rent a kit like scarface has.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
I just made my own out of an old socket. Got to love fabrication and i just like all the sparks from the grinding wheel. Makes you feel like your doing something important. :hammer:

veggiemike

Reaction score
Hey, pretty sure the part you're talking about is the "caliper mounting bracket pin" or something like that. When I pulled the rear breaks off my '95, I discovered the same damn thing... rear passenger-side break was only using one pad.

Bought a new mounting bracket (comes with the both pins and their rubber boots) at Autozone for $30 or so. Problem solved. Except now I have one brand new shiny caliper mounting bracket and one rusty ugly pos mounting bracket.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
You're exactly right, I finally looked it up in the Haynes Manual and they referred to it as the caliper mounting bracket pin as well, or something like that.

Only $30???? I'm definitely looking into that because I still haven't been able to get the damn thing loose. I even opened up the rubber boot on it and sprayed some penetrant in it with no luck.

Plus, since I was having trouble with the left side I decided to just get the right side done but found out that the bottom caliper pin is stuck on that side (it's the top caliper pin on the left side)! So now I can't do the rears at all until I get these damn pins loose.

veggiemike

Reaction score
Yeah, I spent half a day soaking mine in penetrating oil and beating on it with a hammer and yanking/twisting on it with pliers... got one out, but the other wouldn't budge. Then I felt like a dope for wasting my time when I realized how inexpensive the replacement part was.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
FINALLY! Got all 4 bolts loose and both caliper brackets removed from the rear :dancing6:

It took a lot of penetrant, hammer wacking, swearing, pacing around, and staring/intimidating the brackets but they finally busted loose. And I only busted one of my knuckles in the process.

The replacement brackets had to be ordered, but they'll be in today and the reassembly should be a cake walk compared to disassembly.

I'm gonna make sure the pins are nice and greased so they're less likely to seize up in the future (because at some point I'll be doing the cobra upgrade anyway) and probably use some anti-corrosion/rust product on all the bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online