Need help installing rear brake pads

veggiemike

Reaction score
Hey, one other thing. Make sure you have the anti-rattle clips for the rear pads. You need 'em. When I opened mine up after I bought it, I discovered that the previous owner had lost them. I tried to just go without, but the damn pads were loose enough in the caliper that they would squeak against the roters whenever I went over a bump. I tried to live with it for a while, thinking that maybe the pads would get worn in and hold still, but it just got worse. My mustang sounded like a falling apart snot box!

Anyway, if you need to get new ones, you can get a whole box of miscellaneous hardware from Autozone or PepBoys for the rear breaks for $10. It's got the anti-rattle clips, new bracket pins with boots, and all the nuts/bolts in the assembly.

Squeaking is so not cool...

squeaka, squeaka, squeaka... ugh.

driftingmustang

Reaction score
as far as doing it yourself, your pretty much boned unless you can find the right tool specialy made for this (which i never could).

S

scarface

correct tool from autozone...
07-28-07_0750.jpg

07-28-07_0751.jpg

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah the right tool really helps make the job easier.

I ended up renting the one shown above as well, finally got the job done, though compressing the piston was never really the problem from the beginning but it did prove to be a hassle.

I tried using Pandora's Box (see above a few posts) which didn't actually work.

S

scarface

driftingmustang said:
scarface said:
correct tool from autozone...
07-28-07_0750.jpg
had that (or somthing similar), didnt work. well, are sure it works? if so ill need to eventualy get one of those.(this very specific set)
I have used it at least 10 times. It the correct tool.

S

scarface

sanchezcruz_20 said:
Yeah the right tool really helps make the job easier.

I ended up renting the one shown above as well, finally got the job done, though compressing the piston was never really the problem from the beginning but it did prove to be a hassle.

I tried using Pandora's Box (see above a few posts) which didn't actually work.
yeah pandora's box is a POS, the set above it a pic of my set, with part numbers from autozone. I use it all the time.

sk8inrj1

Reaction score
what is Pandora's box actually used for? I've always used a big 'ol C clamp to compress my pistons.

ck5.0

Reaction score
You can't use a C-Clamp on the rear brakes. Pandora box goes onto the end of a ratchet to turn the piston in. The brake set pictured above is the one that autozone can let you rent/buy.

GTnightrider

Reaction score
I had that same problem with my rears took me for ever they were seized up and we could not get it so we just took a hammer and beat on it till it would push back in

S

scarface

sk8inrj1 said:
what is Pandora's box actually used for? I've always used a big 'ol C clamp to compress my pistons.
Pandora's box is the box carried by Pandora that contained all the evils of mankind  greed, vanity, slander, lies, envy, pining  and hope...lol

GTnightrider said:
I had that same problem with my rears took me for ever they were seized up and we could not get it so we just took a hammer and beat on it till it would push back in
you didnt have to turn the piston as you pushed?

ck5.0

Reaction score
GTnightrider said:

Did they still work without turning them while pushing afterwards?

S

scarface

ck4.6 said:
GTnightrider said:

Did they still work without turning them while pushing afterwards?
probably not the way they should...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.