NEED HELP PICKING A CLUTCH

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Ok guys, I just picked up this 2000 Mustang Gt about a week or so ago for a nice deal. Everything about the car is nice but I am starting to hear that little squeaking noise that we all hate to hear ( throw out bearing ). The noise is faint but we all know you have superhuman hearing when it comes to this noise, so im going to change the clutch and all while the trans is down. So this leads me to my question for you guys, what is the best brand of clutch to purchase for my mustang. I do belive it is the t-45 transmission, if that helps and im also purchasing the clutch from American muscle so if you guys could recommend one from there it would be great. Thanks in advance for all the help guys.....

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
King Cobra Clutches have a great reputation around here for the price. Many people will tell u also, go with the ford oem tob or frpp one.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't Stand the king cobra clutch IMO . I'd go exedey over that ... I soley run ACT clutches and recommend them to my customers and friends .

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
yea man I have been hearing the same thing so that might be the clutch I go with and I have to questions for you. Does American muscle carry this clutch? and how hard would it be to change it out? I ask because I had a 94 Gt and I changed the clutch and throw out bearing myself so is this car similar or would it be just as easy to do because if I can do it myself I would love to save that money.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's similar . Just no removable bell housing . So yea it's basically all the same steps as your 94 just no removable bellhousing to make things easier ... The 3rd starter bolt is a ***** to get undone and well you'll see what it's like when undoing the mid pipe ok the passenger side , make sure to replace the gasket on the passenger side when reinstalling the mid pipe .

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
It's similar . Just no removable bell housing . So yea it's basically all the same steps as your 94 just no removable bellhousing to make things easier ... The 3rd starter bolt is a ***** to get undone and well you'll see what it's like when undoing the mid pipe ok the passenger side , make sure to replace the gasket on the passenger side when reinstalling the mid pipe .
Ok well in that case I can do it myself, and my exhaust is stock and im not sure what the exhaust looks like under there but I will know when I put it on the lift. But thanks for that info man it really helped.

GT3FC

Reaction score
Is that a nice everyday driver clutch? What I mean is how hard is the pedal and can you drive it all day without your leg almost falling off.

yea haha its pretty DD friendly..I spent 45min in traffic tonight to only move 3 miles and i could defiantly start to feel it but it wasnt anything major. I drive it every day without any problem. It is in my DD

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea you'll be fine if you've done it on a 94 buddy .

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Auto parts store 03/04 cobra clutch. They also offer lifetime warranty on them....so for $250ish you basically get 2 brand new clutches

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Auto parts store 03/04 cobra clutch. They also offer lifetime warranty on them....so for $250ish you basically get 2 brand new clutches
Ok you may be on to something but let me make sure I understand you right, your saying just go to an auto part store and get a clutch for a 03/04 cobra and it will work in my 2000 GT? Because if so I would definitely do that

Caboose302

Reaction score
I like my Spec Stage 2. Can't go wrong with ACT or Center force either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Caboose302

Reaction score
Where could I order those 2 clutches you named? Someone else recommended ACT and Center force

You can get ACT and Centerforce from summit, I think you can get some Spec clutches from American Muscle.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Is that a nice everyday driver clutch? What I mean is how hard is the pedal and can you drive it all day without your leg almost falling off.

I agree, I love my Exedy. I forget which stage I have, it's rated for a bit over 400 lb-ft of torque, but isn't really any stiffer than what was in it when I bought the car. I dd mine when it's not winter and I've got no complaints. Got mine from American Muscle also. And of course the Ford Racing throwout bearing.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, so what I'm getting is that the best ones are between Spec, Exedy, ACT, and Centorforce.... Ok im going to look into these more

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok you may be on to something but let me make sure I understand you right, your saying just go to an auto part store and get a clutch for a 03/04 cobra and it will work in my 2000 GT? Because if so I would definitely do that

The 03/04 clutch is an 11" clutch and most to all 2000gt had 11" flywheels and some where 10.5". If you dont know what you have, I highly advise pulling apart the tranny to be sure before you order. '99-'00 were undetermined about what size clutch the cars had. 6or8 bolt flywheels is not a good indicator of size either. Ive seen 11" 6bolt flywheels as well as 10.5" 8bolt flywheels all from '99-'00 Gt's. Nor is going by which tranny your car came with. Others may chime in with what they know, but take my word when I say you need to check what size clutch your car will need.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
The 03/04 clutch is an 11" clutch and most to all 2000gt had 11" flywheels and some where 10.5". If you dont know what you have, I highly advise pulling apart the tranny to be sure before you order. '99-'00 were undetermined about what size clutch the cars had. 6or8 bolt flywheels is not a good indicator of size either. Ive seen 11" 6bolt flywheels as well as 10.5" 8bolt flywheels all from '99-'00 Gt's. Nor is going by which tranny your car came with. Others may chime in with what they know, but take my word when I say you need to check what size clutch your car will need.
Wow, im glad I got on here first to see what you guys had to say because I was just about to go order my clutch but now I see I need to do a little more research. Thanks for saving me from that disaster I was about to be in....

chris91

Reaction score
Ive ran Centerforce Dual Friction's in all my stick Mustangs(2 Foxes, 1 94, and two 99's) and never had a problem with them. Not a heavy pedal and definitely take some abuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online