Need Help!! STAT!!!

Spyder

Reaction score
Okay, here is my issue. Cars been running great, no issues at all. Then out of nowhere, my voltage guage starts reading in between the N and the O and the battery light is on.
I take the alt and get it checked out, being that its only 3 months old, its test perfect. I mean shit, it looks brand new still.
Take the batt to get tested, it reads just fine at 12.4 something then it drops a little bit when it gets a load put on it. So i figure, dead cell in the batt, and get a new one.
Well i get the fancy oddessey battery jsut like TRUUBLE just got. Great battery, plenty of power. Put that thing in, and it changes nothing. Gauge still reading low, battery light still on.
WHAT THE F*@k IS GOING ON!!!!
I cleaned all the terminals, and cleaned the notorious little ground screw that is right up on the radiator support area. And nothing still.

So if any of you have some suggestions i would appreciate it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you have underdrive pulleys on your alt/ I would do a swap on the alt just for assurance that it is not that, if it turns out to be ok just put yours back on.........hey you never know its at least worth a shot in the dark :dunno:

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
i would replace the alternator. I know you had it checked but I cant count how many times I have had alts/ starters "checked", said they were fine but actually were not. process of elimination! if its not the alt, take it back..

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra456hp said:
i would replace the alternator. I know you had it checked but I cant count how many times I have had alts/ starters "checked", said they were fine but actually were not. process of elimination! if its not the alt, take it back..

what he said!

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
yeah, i was thinking ill probably do that. It a reman anyways, like all new stuff, just used case.

But no underdrive pullies, so its not that. I never have really seen the point of underdrive pullies, maybe im just ignorant.

Any other usefull ideas would be awesome, thanks guys

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Cobra456hp said:

what he said!

thats the same thing I said :slap:............. :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if it aint the bat, or the alternator, it must be the wiring...
bad plug or whatever

Have Jesse or Heath check it - caffer face!

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
Heres and update:

Battery is in and working great
Alternator has been replaced again (second new in 3 months)

The damn system still wont chrage itself, so im basically hunting damn wires now. Anyone have any clue on where to start?

Tattoogod

Reaction score
have you checked your regulator.. check your fuses.may sound stupid but if there is a fure thats partialy corroded or starting to bloat. it can cause extensive resistance and drian you battery.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
The thing is, its not the battery that has a drain. The alternator is not getting the power to the rest of the system to charge the battery, so the battery is the only thing powering the car.

My next guess is that the problem is somewhere in the wiring from the alt to the power ditribution box. Thats the only other thing i can think of.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Check over ALL of your ground wires. Especially the battery gound to block, starter ground, and engine to chasis ground. Do a visual and a physical check, make sure they are not corroded, loose, or broken.

Do a visual and physical inspection of your wiring harness. Pull, twist, and bend the harness. Especially where the harness bends. Check for rubbed through spots in the harness wraping. If you have a multi-meter, connect it to the battery and watch the meter for any fluctuations.

Again, If you have a multi-meter check the battery voltage while the car is running at the battery, and at the alternator to make sure they are the same, or very close to it. It should be in the 13.0-14.5 volt range.

I hope this helps, good luck. Wiring problems suck ass.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Reaction score
Okay, here is the progress

voltage on battery is a constant 12.3 volts with engine on and off. Which mean alt is not delivering the power
Alternator has been tested off the vehicle and tests fine, which means wiring
wiring has been inspected and no spots worn through or anything of that nature
Pulled the voltage regulator plug (black 3 prong on back of alt) and tested with engine running. there is a 12 volt source getting there

Now i dont know if the stator wire (little white wire, singel plug) is supposed to get 12v power or not. But when i checked it with the multimeter, it got nothing with the engine on or off. I dont know if this is the problem or not, and im having a hell of a time finding a decent wiring diagram that tells what does what. If anyone can provide some farther help, i would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online