*NEED HELP WITH TIRES*

Jordan98Cobra

Reaction score
Ive recently bought and mounted tires on my 18"x10" American Muscle rims. The tires I have on there are 315/45/18 and they are obviously too big. I believe its the sidewall thats giving me issues with rubbing. I have 1.5" lowering springs on the rear and 1/2" wheel spacers. Any tips on how to stop the rubbing? I would like to save the fender roller for my last resort. Some things I have read have been ( REMOVING THE WHEEL SPACERS, PUT ORIGINAL SPRINGS BACK IN, ROLL THE FENDERS) will any of these work or am I just sh*t out of luck?

Any advice is great

Quick Note, Car is a 1998 Cobra

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why is rolling the fenders your last resort? That's probably the best solution. Any particular reason why you're running such a big sidewall?

OP
OP
J

Jordan98Cobra

Reaction score
Buddy of mine sold them to me for $250 because they didnt fit his car, for some reason I thought they would magically fit mine. I was wrong. Even if I roll the fender, do you think I will rub on the bumper? I havnt tested it much since its snowing here in WI, I took it down the street and rubbed with every little bump.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt removing the spacers will do anything and neither will putting stock springs back in. The sidewall is just too big. That's a 29" tire. If rolling and possibly pulling the fenders doesn't work, I would suggest going to a smaller tire.

OP
OP
J

Jordan98Cobra

Reaction score
What do you think is the max size for sidewall? Probably 35,40? And what, in your opinion is the best size for a drag radial (looks and functionality)

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually if you say it's lowered 1.5" stock springs should stop the rubbing. A 305/35 or 40 would be a better size, especially if you want to keep it lowered. I'm not sure what the max sidewall that will fit is on these cars. I've seen 28" tires a few times but rarely any 29" like yours, especially lowered. On drag cars it's much more common but they have the suspension setup for those kinds of tires.

OP
OP
J

Jordan98Cobra

Reaction score
Ill try and put the stock springs back in for now and see if it can free up a little more space. Maybe if some money magically shows in my pocket I can get some proper fitting tires and keep it lowered.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sell those and grab some 295/35/18s. Perfect fit.. No rubbing. Pretty wide. I have them on my 18x10 saleens. I take it you don't want to roll your fenders? The 45 sidewall even with rolled fenders is gonna be pushing it.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Take the spacers out first.. even after rolling the fenders flat I've seen that exact size tire catch the corner of a bumper and tear if off with the right flex.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The size sidewall is a function (or rather, a ratio) of the width of the tire. There isn't a specific sidewall size that is okay. It depends on how wide your tires are. In your case, on 315's, a 45 sidewall is ginormous - as you are aware. On a 245, a 45 would be fine. I would suggest rolling your fender just because. It doesn't hurt anything and gives you a tad more clearance; no reason not to do it. Having said that, I think you are probably SOL :( Those tires are just too big without changing your suspension setup. So what you do I guess depends on how bad you want to keep those tires. If you want to keep, look to going back to stock ride height in the rear. Otherwise, sell the tires. If you want 315's still then go with a 35 sidewall. If you go with a skinnier tire, then the sidewall will change depending on what width tire you choose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online