Need help with Wilwood rear brakes

StangerBanger

Reaction score
i am currently looking to piece together a Wilwood rear brake kit to match my forged superlite front brakes. The only real "bolt on" option that i can seem to find from wilwood for our cars is the combination style parking brake caliper kit. the issue that i am having with this is that once again, i am piecing the kit together, and the recommended rotor size to match these caliper is 12.88". the 12.88 size damn near seems to be a wilwood specific rotor size, and these rotors from wilwood are more than $200 EACH! seems a little bit crazy to me!!

i called Wilwood this afternoon and the rep told me that he knows of no other vendors that sell 12.88" rotors and that Wilwood DOES NOT sell a bracket kit to adapt this specific caliper to fit 13" rotors.. so im left with a few questions..

-has anybody here used these specific calipers with rotors other than Wilwood?
-has anybody tried making their own brackets for this specific set up?

i work in an automotive machine shop and we have a CNC plasma cutter along with any material or other tools that may be necesary to complete the job, but i feel as tho i need some guidance first before i take on such a project...
and also if anybody else has a different set of wilwood calipers adapted to the rear of their car, im definitely open to options. i am trying to keep it Wilwood specific tho if at all possible, thanks

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am kind of in the same boat but I was looking at the rear Wilwood kit that maximum motorsports offers for IRS cars. I have an IRS to swap and the kit doesn't have the parking brake but I roll with an auto. I was curious if a 13" rotor would work in place of the 12.88 or even if Willwood would sell me the brackets to covert my kit to the 14" kit.

OP
OP
S

StangerBanger

Reaction score
When I spoke with the wilwood rep, I asked if 13" rotors would fit with these calipers, he just gave me a flat NO. And he also stated that wilwood doesnt sell the brackets to adapt the calipers to rotors larger than 12.88". He wasnt very willing to help, it was rather annoying. However, I feel as tho there has to be a company out there that produces some kind of bracket for this application. I mean, after all, revolution braking makes brackets for the front.. why not rthe rear??

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
We *might* be working on something to solve this problem.

One thing I will mention - the 8.8 in our cars have C-clip axles, so you cannot use any calipers with opposing pistons, or else you will experience knock-back. I spoke to a wilwood rep recently and asked him about running opposing pistons, and he told me it would be fine. I brought up piston knock-back, and he shrugged it off. So either this gentleman was misinformed or just flat-out lying. All this to say, take everything you hear from them with a grain of salt.

If you want to run a bigger caliper with opposing pistons, you'll need to either purchase c-clip eliminators (which have been known to fail, but thats a whole different story) or switch to a 9" rear end.

95opal

Reaction score
If you want to run a bigger caliper with opposing pistons, you'll need to either purchase c-clip eliminators (which have been known to fail, but thats a whole different story) or switch to a 9" rear end.

or simply go with big ends on your 8.8

DSCF1644_zpsb0ecf074.jpg

OP
OP
S

StangerBanger

Reaction score
What is involved in putting the 9" ends on an 8.8? Could you possibly provide a parts list of everything you used to do your swap?

OP
OP
S

StangerBanger

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the need for rotor hat offset? Is the hat there just to make the wheel clear the caliper? And if so, do 1" wheel spacers eliminate the need for a rotor hat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.