Need New Shocks/Struts

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Now that I've replaced my pads and rotors on all 4 corners I need to look into replacing my shocks and struts up front. This is a budget build (i know, you get what you pay for!), At this time i'm going to run stock springs so I do not need to worry about a shock/strut that can withstand a higher spring rate / drop. Down the road I might lower my front end and leave the rear stock springs in. Will this cause serious issues having an aftermarket set of springs in the front and oem in the rear?

I've got the choice of KYB Excel's, Monroe's, Staggs and that pretty well covers it or KYB AGX in the front and Excel/Stagg/Monroe in the rear. Looking on advice on which to go with, thanks!

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Don't lower the front and leave the rear, you need to have matched springs in the front and rear. The mismatched spring rates and ride height difference will screw up your car's balance completely.

That said, all of those are basically just stock replacements, my car was on KYB's and lowering springs when I bought it and it was fine.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for KYB's. I had those with my stock springs AND my lowering springs. They worked just fine.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I kind of figured the KYB would be popular. I had them in my Spec V with Pro Kit springs and was pretty satisfied.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Don't lower the front and leave the rear, you need to have matched springs in the front and rear. The mismatched spring rates and ride height difference will screw up your car's balance completely.

That said, all of those are basically just stock replacements, my car was on KYB's and lowering springs when I bought it and it was fine.

You guys know me.

Bilsteins. Buy them once and if they ever go bad you ship them back and they revalve them for a small price.

Yes and no on the springs.

I run H&R Race from a 99-04 Cobra and I got H&R Super Race for the rear.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
You guys know me.

Bilsteins. Buy them once and if they ever go bad you ship them back and they revalve them for a small price.

Yes and no on the springs.

I run H&R Race from a 99-04 Cobra and I got H&R Super Race for the rear.

Good point about bilsteins. With Koni the revalving/rebuild price is actually more than a brand new set many times (rears for example).

On the spring rates youre right they can be mixed if you know what youre doing and are tuning understeer/oversteer. However the companys engineer them to be a neutral as possible with the stock suspension components. Once you get into different roll centers, sway bars, etc then you can mess with the spring rates.

Not saying you can't mix and match, just that its not ideal if your car is mostly stock.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Good point about bilsteins. With Koni the revalving/rebuild price is actually more than a brand new set many times (rears for example).

On the spring rates youre right they can be mixed if you know what youre doing and are tuning understeer/oversteer. However the companys engineer them to be a neutral as possible with the stock suspension components. Once you get into different roll centers, sway bars, etc then you can mess with the spring rates.
Not saying you can't mix and match, just that its not ideal if your car is mostly stock.

agreed normally you want to stay the same. I did a lot of talking with MM before I went this route and so far has handled like a dream, and acted like I am expecting also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online