Need some serious knowledge input about Clutch kits, brake kits and suspension

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
So, I'm going to have the clutch, pressure plate, TOB etc replaced in my 03 GT Convertible. By a shop, not me. I'm going to do the brakes and suspension. The problem is there are so many to choose from and I hoped the members would have some options. I don't need a 500hp kit. Just a daily driver with the ability to handle a KB in the future. Same for the brakes and suspension. LMR is right up the road from me, so I'll most likely use them. Any input and suggestions appreciated. No time frame or cost worries as long as they're not crazy. Also the car still has all the original parts on it. Plus, KB said they're at least 6 months behind lol. Thanks in advance.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Not a big brain twister actually. The only thing that really needs changing is just the clutch package. If it comes with a flywheel, great. If not, you can just get the one currently on the car machined down if it's still serviceable. But really, if you're putting on a KB in the future, you're going to want a "500hp kit" as you say, because you'll probably be making right around that amount.

Just make sure it's a 6-bolt flywheel if you do wind up getting one included with a complete package because that's what GTs come with rather than the 8 bolts for the Cobra and Mach1 cars.

New pilot bearing, new TOB, new fork, new pivot stud, might as well get a new cable too. Make sure whoever does the install uses a light film of high temp red grease in the following areas:

input shaft splines, the inpute shaft sleeve, both faces of the TOB, and the cable-to-fork interface. The pivot stud should get a heavy dose of the high temp grease.

Really any brand (advertised at the appropriate power level) will fit the bill and within budget. Feel free to shop around.

Oh, and make sure the TOB gets a slight preload on the pressure plate. The "air gap" method is not the correct way.

Reaction score
i always set myself up to have parts that can handle more than what i do. give us a full run down of what your plans are for the car and we can try to lead you in the best direction possible

OP
OP
Bronco2Fan

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
It really needs a refresh on the drive line for sure. I just want it to be reliable when I choose to use the skinny pedal. The tranny and suspension are all original parts and with 120k on them, I'm sure they need replaced. I don't really drive it that much, except in the summer months. It'll be my little SN95 sleeper. All my other cars stick out too much, people know what they are and what they can do.

LEGALLYFAST

Reaction score
It depends on how aggressive you are and your budget, but Centerforce clutches used to be a good upgrade years ago. I personally like McCloud twin disc, because they have light pedal pressure but good holding power.

Brakes - Cobra upgrade is good for a street car

Suspension - The brand will depend on what you are looking for specifically, but as far as parts for a street car, I would recommend subframes for sure. Rear lower control arms, strut tower brace if it will work for with the KB. Springs of your choice if you don't have them. I think that would be a good place to start.

Brands: I have used many brands. Currently, I have ordered Maximum Motorsports. Their stuff is preety nice. But most brands work fine, especially for a street build. Don't forget struts and shocks if they are aged or high mileage.

OP
OP
Bronco2Fan

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I looked up flywheel info and it said if the 8th digit was an x, it's a windsor and uses the 8-bolt flywheel. Can anyone else verify that?