Need timing help

jwhisl

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help. I have been trying to set timing on my car for a few weeks now and I got it running a little better but it breaks up really bad at 3k and wont rev any further. I have the dizzy dropped in at 10* base because it wont start at 0 and I advanced it to 16 to get a decent idle. I have my fpr set at 35psi at idle and the instructions say no vacuum line unless running a blower? I think the plugs might be fouled from it running too rich before but what could be the problem? I wouldnt think black spark plugs would cause it to run like this

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I have a cobra ecu and injectors. pulled the spout when i set the timing too

95opal

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help. I have been trying to set timing on my car for a few weeks now and I got it running a little better but it breaks up really bad at 3k and wont rev any further. I have the dizzy dropped in at 10* base because it wont start at 0 and I advanced it to 16 to get a decent idle. I have my fpr set at 35psi at idle and the instructions say no vacuum line unless running a blower? I think the plugs might be fouled from it running too rich before but what could be the problem? I wouldnt think black spark plugs would cause it to run like this

I would throw the regulator in the garbage and pick up qn aeromotive unit. You shouldnt be setting timing in order to get a decent idle. Without knowing your set up ie.. Stock or not ? I would back the timing down.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I would throw the regulator in the garbage and pick up qn aeromotive unit. You shouldnt be setting timing in order to get a decent idle. Without knowing your set up ie.. Stock or not ? I would back the timing down.

To answer your question I have a bit of work done to the car. Aluminum heads, b303 cam, aftermarket intake, etc. The idle isnt the issue its the fact that I cant seem to get any power out of the car or get it to rev above 3k. Today I pulled the #1 plug and stuffed a piece of toilet paper into the hole and slowly rotated the engine by hand. I got past 10*btc, nothing. 0* nothing. I made another half rotation of the rotor before I started backing it up. I made a 1/4 backward and it shot the paper out of the #1 hole with a noise. I looked down at the balancer and it wasnt even close to any of the timing marks. I couldnt see any of the numbers on the balancer at all.

95opal

Reaction score
To answer your question I have a bit of work done to the car. Aluminum heads, b303 cam, aftermarket intake, etc. The idle isnt the issue its the fact that I cant seem to get any power out of the car or get it to rev above 3k. Today I pulled the #1 plug and stuffed a piece of toilet paper into the hole and slowly rotated the engine by hand. I got past 10*btc, nothing. 0* nothing. I made another half rotation of the rotor before I started backing it up. I made a 1/4 backward and it shot the paper out of the #1 hole with a noise. I looked down at the balancer and it wasnt even close to any of the timing marks. I couldnt see any of the numbers on the balancer at all.

So you were way out when you stabbed the dizzy. Here is hpw i do it. Bring the motor up to 10*btc. Now try to stab the dizzy so that you are one tooth past the number one on the dizzy. The rotor will be just slightly to the right of the number one on the dizzy if you got it right. Fire the car over and hit it with a light to verify were you wamt to set it.
As far as the no power past 3k ensure your maf is clean.
Im still suspect on the regulator your using and wouldnt look past it. Have you or can you verify fuel pressure when your at 3k?

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I will have to get someone to help me with that. Ill try your advice tomorrow. Hopefully it will get me closer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.