Need tips for a radio bezel swap...

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I am going to be swapping my god awful and useless center console, that from the factory came with a single useless cup holder, and now has no cup holder due to my recent power outlet mod
AFvmPDL.jpg

to a console out of a 2002.
sjBONmn.jpg

I figured. While I'm doing that I might aswell upgrade my shifter bezel and get rid of that stupid door, and my double single din radio bezel for a single double din radio bezel.
Ilmmv4b.jpg

I'm very aware what is involved in swapping the center consoles. Pretty much identical. Same mounting points. Very straight forward. I will need to modify the wiring harness but between the one in the 02 and the one in my 94 I'll be fine.

The shifter bezel is equally as easy. I think in the new edge bezels the connector for the power wires are different but nothing a little splicing can't fix.

The radio bezel is where I'm confused. On my 1994 bezel, I have a support bar that bolts into the firewall. On the newer ones it has no bar. It looks like it just pops into the dash. So my question is what do I need to support a double din radio? Is there a bracket I can take out of a junkyard car or something I have to get custom with?
New radio bezel-
d27GVMu.jpg

94 bezel with support bar-
jRzO00P.jpg

I will also be using the rear defroster button and fog light buttons from a radio bezel and rewiring everything to work off those, I will then put a coin holder in the center console and at some point replace my cluster bezel with a newer one aswell so I don't have 2 rear defrosters.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
do you already have a double din radio? are you decent with fiberglass? i could walk ya through using your bezel you have now and swaping slots where the heater ac control panel is. if not then yea that is the easiest way to go right there. i just never liked how the double din sits in far behind the shifter. plus the double din is more visible up top. just my .02 :)

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
do you already have a double din radio? are you decent with fiberglass? i could walk ya through using your bezel you have now and swaping slots where the heater ac control panel is. if not then yea that is the easiest way to go right there. i just never liked how the double din sits in far behind the shifter. plus the double din is more visible up top. just my .02 :)

I was actually just about to update this with these pictures I came across the other day...
If I where to swap the bezels I'd want to swap the position of the radio and a/c controls. The way the s197's are setup with the controls below the radio makes much more sense.
b1RYm2Q.jpg

OSbq5E9.jpg

I have no experience in fiberglass but I have a good idea on how to work with it. I also have a buddy that could help me he's good with fiberglass.

I'm more worried on the whole how the hell to support the radio than how to modify the bezel. But I could use some help with both.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The two tabs that stick out on the 94-00 dash where the radio bezel has the two screws in the center will have to be cut off before the 01-04 will work. Just use a dremel.

I have a Pioneer Avic series double din head unit and it's heavy as shit. I made a "L" bracket from a piece of steel and attached it to the back of the radio and let the bottom part of the "L" rest on the amp in the bottom of the cavity. It takes some trial and error to get the bracket the right size and angle.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did the 01+ style interior conversion on my red 99 cobra last year, including moving the rear defroster, fog lamp and traction control buttons to the center. It turned out excellent.

919521_981731770072_1358523712_o.jpg

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
See now I don't know if I want to mod my 94 bezel or just replace it for the 01+.. lol

don't get me wrong...swaping to a new edge bezel looks decent but i myself like the double din up higher. plus very few have tackled it. its so worth it though if ya go that route....heres mine:

that support bar will bolt up the the back of the dash to hold the weight of the double din

thought i had a write up on here about how i did mine but i guess not.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
don't get me wrong...swaping to a new edge bezel looks decent but i myself like the double din up higher. plus very few have tackled it. its so worth it though if ya go that route....heres mine:

thought i had a write up on here about how i did mine but i guess not.

That looks so good :O

You want to maybe remake that write up? :p

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
when i first finished it with my old double din

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Look what I found!
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...din-using-94-98-radio-bezel-start-finish.html

lmfao. I saw this earlier and didnt notice who posted it until I saw the same pictures on your photobucket.. The steps aren't very detailed though and I am thoroughly confused by them. lol...
aahhhh...i forgot about that thread over there lol.

well when ever you wanna try this like i said i can go over each step my dude.

a few things off the top of my head are that the bar supports the weight of the double din. i had to mold mine out a litte due to the size of the boss double din i used at first it was hitting the heating duck behind the dash. the pioneer i used later had plenty of room. there is a bar running east to west behind the bezel that i just hacksawed off pretty easily. any other ??'s lemme know.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
aahhhh...i forgot about that thread over there lol.

well when ever you wanna try this like i said i can go over each step my dude.

a few things off the top of my head are that the bar supports the weight of the double din. i had to mold mine out a litte due to the size of the boss double din i used at first it was hitting the heating duck behind the dash. the pioneer i used later had plenty of room. there is a bar running east to west behind the bezel that i just hacksawed off pretty easily. any other ??'s lemme know.

Thanks man. I'll definitely be doing this.. I just got to save up the money to pickup a double din, a new bezel (my bezel is beyond ****ed, broken clips, etc), and I'll probably grab a new shifter bezel at the same time too..

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
I believe I still have one of the shifter bezels out of the 03 cobra that was parted. And as far as the double din radio mounting goes. On my 03 mach 1 there was 4 screws on the sides that help it into the dash I know,but cant remember if there was anything supporting it from the bottom? If your interested in the shifter bezel PM me and I will look for it and can text you some pics.As far as I can remember its in perfect shape.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
when i first finished it with my old double din

that is just awesome and something i would never be able to do. would you be willing to make one and sell it to me if so how much?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
it would be tough unless i had your actual double din. some trim pieces are wider and some open (which needs a tad more room. be easier with the double din in hand.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
it would be tough unless i had your actual double din. some trim pieces are wider and some open (which needs a tad more room. be easier with the double din in hand.

Well if you had the person ship you the bezel and the trim for their double din unit and/or measurements of the unit I'm sure you could just make up a little cardboard template.

96gt4.6

Reaction score

i would be willing to ship you the double din and a bezel, you do awesome work

joser714

Reaction score
Not to sound stupid but has an iPad/tablet thing been done on a new edge? I've seen it done on the S197 so kinda just wondering

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they make a kit to do the ipads and the mini's that is easy. After that though there is some wiring needed to get it to play though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online